RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Buying a 2007 RX400h: Has accident report and 98K miles; need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 02:54 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2007 RX400h: Has accident report and 98K miles; need advice

Hello everyone,

Okay, so I am purchasing my first ever lexus. Coming from the crap that goes by the model ML350 (2006). Horrible car, except it does have gidity yup. Thats about the only pro in this car. The rest, well, quite crappy

Test drove the 2007 RX400h @ 98k miles. liked it (aside from the soft steering). My concerns are as follows

1: How reliable are these cars when they reach high miles?

2: I am going to buy a toyota care warranty and would like to know if the accident on this car, back in 2012, is going to be an issue down the road. Im buying from a lexus dealer if that helps. Also, the car was sold 5 months after the accident; it isnt a total loss vehicle and the accident report doesnt mention the car being disabled.

3: How much would the TEC warranty cost for a car like this? I know that dealerships tend to mark up the warranties big time and I dont want to be ripped off. I am looking at the best possible coverage with TEC @ anywhere between 2 years and 4 years (I dont qualify for 5, I think)

4. This car was manufactured in 12/10/2006 and registered on 03/26/2007. What warranty, if any, is left? Here is the complete service history on the car (please see attachment, which is in pdf format). Based on this history report, should there be anything concerning I should know about, aside from the battery replacement so early in its cycle?

I am buying the car on tuesday (out of state purchase and will be flying to the location) and would like as much info as possible before I proceed.

any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07+rx400h+service+history22.pdf (175.0 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by HomerRulez; 07-01-13 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-29-13, 03:59 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. You may get answers in this forum, but it really should be posted in the Hybrid 400h section. Perhaps a moderator can move it for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/
Old 06-29-13, 04:06 PM
Rainbird

One major plus for this vehicle is that it was serviced as required and all done by Lexus.
Old 06-29-13, 04:37 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Rain.

It was service as expected, which is a nice touch. Also the carfax shows +1320 even though it was in an accident last year.

Hoping for some help on the other concerns before tuesday.

Would be nice to finally get out of the ML350. For a Benz, it was not what I expected. It was also quite tight for someone like me (5ft 10in/180lbs). I usually like to drive as close and as high as possible for maximum visibility. Driving a Town and country from time to time, its very comfortable for the driver. I like big seats and wide foot paths. The RX offers me that type of comfort; just wished the suspension was a bit tighter. Maybe dropping it a couple notches and tightening the suspension my help.
Old 06-29-13, 04:51 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by HomerRulez
Thanks Rain.

Hoping for some help on the other concerns before tuesday.

Maybe dropping it a couple notches and tightening the suspension my help.
There are some pros on this forum that can help you with the suspension issues. However, I really wouldn't expect much until Monday. This forum seem to just die away on weekends.
Old 06-29-13, 05:01 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
There are some pros on this forum that can help you with the suspension issues. However, I really wouldn't expect much until Monday. This forum seem to just die away on weekends.

pft, figures lol. they probably out having fun ! around in their .

hoping to be an owner soon...fingers crossed cant wait
Old 06-29-13, 06:22 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

BTW, Ill be in NJ and if any of the mechanics who have worked on this car, is located in NJ and willing to inspect the car, please let me know. Im willing to pay the going rate and would rather someone who posts here take a look at it.
Old 06-29-13, 06:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HomerRulez
BTW, Ill be in NJ and if any of the mechanics who have worked on this car, is located in NJ and willing to inspect the car, please let me know. Im willing to pay the going rate and would rather someone who posts here take a look at it.
Doubt you will find such individuals here. Kind of like the computer tech who does not hang out on computer forums as they do not want to be answering computer questions 24 hours a day. Best to arrange for an inspection of this vehicle before you make your trip North.

The vast majority of us here are just owners who might also be weekend mechanics who like to play with our toys.
Old 06-30-13, 02:33 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Doubt you will find such individuals here. Kind of like the computer tech who does not hang out on computer forums as they do not want to be answering computer questions 24 hours a day. Best to arrange for an inspection of this vehicle before you make your trip North.

The vast majority of us here are just owners who might also be weekend mechanics who like to play with our toys.

so your saying I should stalk the computer forums to find the lexus mechanics...got it

kidding.

I Should have realized that at first. Anyways, if there are some mechanics, they could PM me or email me (if they want their names on this site to remain anonymous.

Also, what should I look out for when having the car inspected? Also, any dealers here who can sell me the extended toyota care warranty? Id rather not buy it from the lexus dealer as I am concerned they are going to rip me off; they would not give me a price on the phone or email and said they will discuss it with em when I get here. That doesnt work for me cause what if they charge me way too much? My buying this car is contingent on a lot of things, one of them being the price of a toyota care warranty. If that comes out to being way too high, it might turn me off or force me to renegotiate a lower price.

Thanks again for all your help. Hoping by monday-tuesday morning to get this finalized.
Old 06-30-13, 10:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

No, I am saying you are not likely to find a mechanic at all online in a forum for such a task unless they are advertising their services and even less a chance for any one specific area of the country. The proverbial needle in a haystack. There are a few techs who do hang out here, however, they do so mostly as owners. More than happy to share knowledge, provide guidance and write ups for the DIY crowd. But to take hours of time out on a weekend or a weekday evening for a few bucks is really not worth the effort. Most would rather kick back, relax and suck down a few beers or spend time with family. They could also probably make more money by taking on another ticket at the shop should that be their line of work. You would need to be offering one big carrot for enticement and the going rate is not it.

There are companies, such as National Auto Inspection Services and Automobile Inspections, with whom you can contract to inspect a vehicle no matter where it is located. Have never used them, just know they exist. Google is your friend on this search. Costs vary depending on the vehicle and services requested.

If you are interested in an extended warranty you might try talking to the following individual who has provided quotes to others here at Club Lexus. Not sure if he can help you as you are out of warranty, but does not hurt to ask. Have your VIN available.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 07-01-13, 05:02 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

just got quoted for the TEC warranty on the lexus by the dealer Im buying the car from and it seems a bit high for just 2 years 24k miles

-24 months/24000 miles $100 deductible would be $2,729

still no word from Jerry as I sent him an email. Maybe I should have called.
Old 07-01-13, 09:24 PM
Rainbird

I seem to recall that Toyota & Lexus will not issue a warranty on a vehicle with that mileage (98k). The best you could hope for is an aftermarket one issued by the dealer that will be very expensive. Like the one you quoted above. You could also back out and keep looking for a lower mileage CPO Lexus. It would carry a Lexus CPO bumper to bumper warranty to 100K miles.
Old 07-01-13, 09:36 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

I seem to recall that Toyota & Lexus will not issue a warranty on a vehicle with that mileage (98k). The best you could hope for is an aftermarket one issued by the dealer that will be very expensive. Like the one you quoted above. You could also back out and keep looking for a lower mileage CPO Lexus. It would carry a Lexus CPO bumper to bumper warranty to 100K miles.

I spoke to jerry and he said that a lexus/toyota extra care warranty IS available for used cars. He also mentioned that he only sells the warranty to cars with under 48k and less than 4 years old and that my only option is to buy the Lexus Extra Car warranty from the dealer I am buying the car from. Im still within the 9 years and 125k mile limit for the lexus extra care and am eligible for the platinum as well but the fact that the dealer is charging me $2800 for just two years warranty (plus $100 Deduct.) is too much.

my concern here is why is the cost for the 2 years 24k miles with $100 ded. at $2800? These warranties from dealers are marked up a boat load; which is where they make the most profit. Is there a work around to this? I dont want an aftermarket, I want Lexus but would like a better price. I dont want to pay more than $2000 and would prefer a 3 year warranty. The 3 year warranty he quoted me was $4800. Now thats is WAY too high for me.
Old 07-02-13, 08:05 AM
Rainbird

The prices you were quoted are crazy high. I bet if you told the dealership you would walk away, they would cut that extra care warranty price by half.
Old 07-02-13, 10:04 AM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

The prices you were quoted are crazy high. I bet if you told the dealership you would walk away, they would cut that extra care warranty price by half.
I just found out the warranty they offered was NOT LEC or TEC VSA; it was an All State warranty.

I asked if the warranty was lexus or aftermarket, they replied back saying ti was a warranty that covers everything and at any dealer. I then responded with, "You did not answer my question. Is this Lexus or aftermarket warranty?"

they finally replied back and said it was all state.

There is no way I can buy this car without a lexus warranty and at that price, its a deal breaker. Not to mention I already scheduled the flight to NYC and paid for it. $730 from DTW to LGA. I forwarded them my itinerary and hope they can do something to resolve this warranty issue. Otherwise I am going to get my $700 deposit back and call this deal dead.....which would suck but I cant afford not to get the warranty. Ive been destroyed by the ML350 and have bad luck with cars; have owned a 10 Routan , 08 grand caravan, 11 town and country as well prior to the ML. They all gave me headaches (about a third of the repairs were done OOP)

Quick Reply: Buying a 2007 RX400h: Has accident report and 98K miles; need advice