Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Changing factory fitted carpet mats?

Old 03-19-13, 02:06 PM   #1
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Changing factory fitted carpet mats?

Hi Experts,

Am looking to change the factory fitted carpets on my car. Have the following questions though?
1. What kind of an expenditure am I looking at?
2. Should I go to a dealership to get these replaced or would you suggest someone else? I am based out of Willow Glen in San Jose, CA.
3. Does it make sense to get something like this done or would you suggest against it? The current color is a beige and are almost worn out, I thought Id replace them with a black or something. . . .

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
hjanweja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 02:23 PM   #2
defo
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjanweja View Post
Hi Experts,

Am looking to change the factory fitted carpets on my car. Have the following questions though?
2. Should I go to a dealership to get these replaced or would you suggest someone else? I am based out of Willow Glen in San Jose, CA.
3. Does it make sense to get something like this done or would you suggest against it? The current color is a beige and are almost worn out, I thought Id replace them with a black or something. . . .

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !
Usually you can get the 4 forward floor mats for right around $100.

The cargo mats are about $100+ by themselves

2008 RX400h
defo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 03:42 PM   #3
kickin8
2IS/2RX
Trader Score: (1)

if you want OEM mats, check Sewell (CL sponsor)

if you want all weather mats, go with weather tech digital liner

HIS: 07' IS250 6MT Tungsten Pearl/Black
F-Sport Intake / F-Sport Quick Shifter / Aluminum Pedals / ARC Shift****
Linea Corsa Dyna / White Illuminated Door Sills / Canadian IS All Weather Floor Mats

HERS: 07' RX350 AWD Millennium Silver / Gray
Canadian RX All Weather Floor Mats (gone)
WeatherTech FloorLiner
kickin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 03:59 PM   #4
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickin8 View Post
if you want OEM mats, check Sewell (CL sponsor)

if you want all weather mats, go with weather tech digital liner
Thanks ! My question (maybe dint frame it right) was for the factory fitted carpet that comes with the car (on which we place the mats). Any suggestions there?
Old 03-19-13, 05:17 PM   #5
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

...or maybe an auto body shop.
DPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 05:48 PM   #6
defo
Lead Lap

Quote:
Thanks ! My question (maybe dint frame it right) was for the factory fitted carpet that comes with the car (on which we place the mats). Any suggestions there?
Probably the dealer.....there are companies that make these, but not usually until the vehicles have surpassed a certain age......i think it's like 10+ years old

2008 RX400h
Old 03-19-13, 09:30 PM   #7
1koolfella
Pole Position

It's funny that you asked this, because I used carpet cleaner to clean the carpet and it will get the stain out but not bring it back to factory color. If you move the seats you'll see the difference in color. The carpet in my vehicle is light grey.

I was thinking about going to Lowes or Home Depot and just finding a carpet and cutting it out myself. If there was a way to remove the old carpet without taking out the seats, then I could trace the old carpet over the new and then put the new one in. That would be perfect.
1koolfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 01:15 PM   #8
kickin8
2IS/2RX

have you tried steam clean the carpet first?

HIS: 07' IS250 6MT Tungsten Pearl/Black
F-Sport Intake / F-Sport Quick Shifter / Aluminum Pedals / ARC Shift****
Linea Corsa Dyna / White Illuminated Door Sills / Canadian IS All Weather Floor Mats

HERS: 07' RX350 AWD Millennium Silver / Gray
Canadian RX All Weather Floor Mats (gone)
WeatherTech FloorLiner
kickin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 02:36 PM   #9
defo
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1koolfella View Post
It's funny that you asked this, because I used carpet cleaner to clean the carpet and it will get the stain out but not bring it back to factory color. If you move the seats you'll see the difference in color. The carpet in my vehicle is light grey.

I was thinking about going to Lowes or Home Depot and just finding a carpet and cutting it out myself. If there was a way to remove the old carpet without taking out the seats, then I could trace the old carpet over the new and then put the new one in. That would be perfect.
First thing, it is not possible to remove the carpet with the seats still bolted in.....unless you intend to cut the carpeting.

Next, all automotive carpeting is shaped in a mold, which allows it to conform to the vehicle floor....I highly doubt you can get a flat piece of carpet, from say Home Depot, to fit into the vehicle and actually match the contours.....it just wont look right.

Best bet it to find a used piece from eBay....but who knows if it will have fading or stains of its own.

2008 RX400h
Old 03-20-13, 03:42 PM   #10
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone. I have not tried the steam clean, am sure that the carpet is discolored though so dont think that will help. The only solution might be to get some new floor mats and cover it as much as I can. Still sucks though
Old 03-20-13, 08:35 PM   #11
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone. I have not tried the steam clean, am sure that the carpet is discolored though so dont think that will help. The only solution might be to get some new floor mats and cover it as much as I can. Still sucks though
If they are in good condition, and clean, but just discolored your best bet would be to seek out an auto upholstery shop to see if they can be dyed to the correct color or perhaps a darker color.
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 07:26 AM   #12
Jumper73
Rookie

Quote:

If it looks that bad, I would highly suggest weathertech digital fit liner. It covers most of flooring area and would protect against future spills/mess.
Jumper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 09:30 AM   #13
takeshi74
Driver

Quote:
No idea off the top of my head. You can ask at the dealer or look around Lexus parts web sites. Looking at the Sewell Parts site the front carpet assembly for the RX330 itself is $782.43. You'd need the other carpet assemblies to replace all the carpet.

Quote:
Your call to make. We can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do.

Quote:
3. Does it make sense to get something like this done or would you suggest against it?
Again, your call. You have to decide based on your budget and how much you want to replace the carpets or find an alternate solution.
takeshi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 12:20 PM   #14
LEXRX04
Driver

Personally if your wanted just the carpet mats check out the sponsor here, but I would go with the weather tech..because at some point your replaced carpeted mats will get back to the same condition.
LEXRX04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 01:17 PM   #15
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXRX04 View Post
Personally if your wanted just the carpet mats check out the sponsor here, but I would go with the weather tech..because at some point your replaced carpeted mats will get back to the same condition.
Yeah looking at that option, just that the weater tech wont cover them completely
Old 03-22-13, 01:17 PM

Tags
300, 350, auto, carpet, change, clean, es, forum, gs, jose, lexus, mats, san, solution, steam