RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Changing factory fitted carpet mats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 02:06 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing factory fitted carpet mats?

Hi Experts,

Am looking to change the factory fitted carpets on my car. Have the following questions though?
1. What kind of an expenditure am I looking at?
2. Should I go to a dealership to get these replaced or would you suggest someone else? I am based out of Willow Glen in San Jose, CA.
3. Does it make sense to get something like this done or would you suggest against it? The current color is a beige and are almost worn out, I thought Id replace them with a black or something. . . .

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !
Old 03-19-13, 02:23 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hjanweja
Hi Experts,

Am looking to change the factory fitted carpets on my car. Have the following questions though?
2. Should I go to a dealership to get these replaced or would you suggest someone else? I am based out of Willow Glen in San Jose, CA.
3. Does it make sense to get something like this done or would you suggest against it? The current color is a beige and are almost worn out, I thought Id replace them with a black or something. . . .

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !
Usually you can get the 4 forward floor mats for right around $100.

The cargo mats are about $100+ by themselves
Old 03-19-13, 03:42 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you want OEM mats, check Sewell (CL sponsor)

if you want all weather mats, go with weather tech digital liner
Old 03-19-13, 03:59 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you want OEM mats, check Sewell (CL sponsor)

if you want all weather mats, go with weather tech digital liner
Thanks ! My question (maybe dint frame it right) was for the factory fitted carpet that comes with the car (on which we place the mats). Any suggestions there?
Old 03-19-13, 05:17 PM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

...or maybe an auto body shop.
Old 03-19-13, 05:48 PM
defo
Intermediate

Thanks ! My question (maybe dint frame it right) was for the factory fitted carpet that comes with the car (on which we place the mats). Any suggestions there?
Probably the dealer.....there are companies that make these, but not usually until the vehicles have surpassed a certain age......i think it's like 10+ years old
Old 03-19-13, 09:30 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny that you asked this, because I used carpet cleaner to clean the carpet and it will get the stain out but not bring it back to factory color. If you move the seats you'll see the difference in color. The carpet in my vehicle is light grey.

I was thinking about going to Lowes or Home Depot and just finding a carpet and cutting it out myself. If there was a way to remove the old carpet without taking out the seats, then I could trace the old carpet over the new and then put the new one in. That would be perfect.
Old 03-20-13, 01:15 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

have you tried steam clean the carpet first?
Old 03-20-13, 02:36 PM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
It's funny that you asked this, because I used carpet cleaner to clean the carpet and it will get the stain out but not bring it back to factory color. If you move the seats you'll see the difference in color. The carpet in my vehicle is light grey.

I was thinking about going to Lowes or Home Depot and just finding a carpet and cutting it out myself. If there was a way to remove the old carpet without taking out the seats, then I could trace the old carpet over the new and then put the new one in. That would be perfect.
First thing, it is not possible to remove the carpet with the seats still bolted in.....unless you intend to cut the carpeting.

Next, all automotive carpeting is shaped in a mold, which allows it to conform to the vehicle floor....I highly doubt you can get a flat piece of carpet, from say Home Depot, to fit into the vehicle and actually match the contours.....it just wont look right.

Best bet it to find a used piece from eBay....but who knows if it will have fading or stains of its own.
Old 03-20-13, 03:42 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone. I have not tried the steam clean, am sure that the carpet is discolored though so dont think that will help. The only solution might be to get some new floor mats and cover it as much as I can. Still sucks though
Old 03-20-13, 08:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone. I have not tried the steam clean, am sure that the carpet is discolored though so dont think that will help. The only solution might be to get some new floor mats and cover it as much as I can. Still sucks though
If they are in good condition, and clean, but just discolored your best bet would be to seek out an auto upholstery shop to see if they can be dyed to the correct color or perhaps a darker color.
Old 03-21-13, 07:26 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it looks that bad, I would highly suggest weathertech digital fit liner. It covers most of flooring area and would protect against future spills/mess.
Old 03-21-13, 09:30 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No idea off the top of my head. You can ask at the dealer or look around Lexus parts web sites. Looking at the Sewell Parts site the front carpet assembly for the RX330 itself is $782.43. You'd need the other carpet assemblies to replace all the carpet.

Your call to make. We can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do.

3. Does it make sense to get something like this done or would you suggest against it?
Again, your call. You have to decide based on your budget and how much you want to replace the carpets or find an alternate solution.
Old 03-22-13, 12:20 PM
LEXRX04
Driver

Personally if your wanted just the carpet mats check out the sponsor here, but I would go with the weather tech..because at some point your replaced carpeted mats will get back to the same condition.
Old 03-22-13, 01:17 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXRX04
Personally if your wanted just the carpet mats check out the sponsor here, but I would go with the weather tech..because at some point your replaced carpeted mats will get back to the same condition.
Yeah looking at that option, just that the weater tech wont cover them completely

Quick Reply: Changing factory fitted carpet mats?