RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

new guy here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 05:10 PM
hargate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy here!

I am looking at my first Lexus. I have chosen outside the brand but been close several times before. This time I am looking at a used unit. Wife wants SUV. We have one 2 year old. She commutes only about 10 miles one way daily.

I found an '08 AWD with under 43k. It shows to be a 2 owner with the second sale made as a CPO. All CARFAX info shows dealer service and there are no accidents reported.

I have been searching for AWD models from a handful of brands as we do not currently have an AWD vehicle and weather where I am does lend itself to a surefooted need from time to time, plus with the new little guy... well I'm trying to get something as safe as I can.

I have read reviews that I can find and most looks promising. I have always respected the look of RX and its obviously very popular as these things are practically everywhere.

I am going to look at the vehicle tomorrow. Is there anything you guys think I need to pay close attention to? Any specific questions I should ask? Any information or testimonials one way or the other are GREATLY appreciated. I want something I can depend on for a long time. I am not a trade every other year type of guy at all. I don't mind paying, as long as I can get long term use.

Also the price is jsut under 28 for this unit which is about 2k more than book...

Thanks guys. I will be checking out the other threads, especially DIY, and awaiting your responses.

TIA!!
Old 02-04-13, 06:13 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum, hargate.

There is a ton of info here for your new RX if you decide to buy it. It sounds like a pretty nice car with relatively low mileage and good records. If you decide to buy the RX, go to Lexus.com and register there and you can see all the Lexus performed service and recall record as well as get an owners manual if yours is missing.

The RX line has proven to be a pretty well built and long lasting vehicle. Routine service is sometimes expensive at many Lexus dealerships, however Toyota dealerships can perform most of the same routine service for less or a trusted local mechanic for even less $.

I suspect most of the RX owners here would say they like their RX and would buy it again. Good looks, good ride, acceptable gas mileage and hardy durability seem to be the norm, IMO. I know a couple second gen RX owners that have over 150k miles on their vehicles and they still look and run great . Under 50k is hardly even broken in.

There are minor issues that show up here in the forum time to time, headlights leaking, side mirrors sometimes stop moving, and an occasional CD player failure. I'd check that this vehicle doesn't have these problems and if they do that they be corrected prior to purchase.
Old 02-04-13, 06:43 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

That sounds like a good car to me.
The RX has one of the highest repurchase rates - meaning that owners buy a new RX to replace an old RX, which is a pretty good sign.
I'd say just be sure it's AWD and not FWD, as there is no badge on the car, and frankly some dealers and even some owners aren't sure, when it comes to the used cars.
If you are buying it from a Lexus dealership, you can be sure it's been well inspected. Otherwise, you might want to have your own mechanic have a look at it first.
Happy Motoring.
Old 02-08-13, 09:08 AM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007

bought mine for 14 with 125k think I got a good deal