Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 06:05 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..

As the title states, my wife has a 07 MDX no problems at all for 126k miles. She does not need a new car but is looking because she is afraid with the high miles rather get something new.

We don't need 3 row seating, but in the MDX is not all that much bigger than a typical 5- seater just would be a bonus but probably not used much if at all.

All things being equal, would probably go with a 2014 MDX which is the first one we have test driven. But it seems that with top of the line all options the MDX is pushing $60k, I could spend that but would not be opposed to spending less.

I enjoy test driving or researching new cars and I will drive the car from time to time so I'd like something I like also. I do like the MDX but never though I'd spend $58k for one.

Needs to be AWD, needs to be under $60k plus tax, we tend to keep out vehicles 6+ years, so I would prefer a newer design. Doesn't have to be all new like the 2014 MDX, but I don't want to buy a SUV to see an all new design out in a short time after.

I was not especially interested in active cruise control, but lately seeing it with active pre collision systems and lane assist on the MDX, we were more interested in these if they are an option would probably get it, likely all the bells and whistles type car meaning nav, premium stereo, premium leather etc..

I believe our price range excludes cars such as Range Rover, MB, BMW, Audi Porsche so likely would be limited to American and Japanese luxury brands. I could probably consider the German SUVs but less likely if they are pushing the price limit and the higher cost of repairs if we keep it 6-7 years.

Price of top of the line MDX is $58K, things I like about MDX is its class leading fuel economy, it's still not great but something like combined 21 for AWD I believe 27 on hwy. I like the 3rd row seat but not essential because we also have a minivan.

Things the MDX does not have which some others do is the super large sunroof or glass roof which I see in the Cadiallac SRX. Not sure if I really want that but it may be nice.

So I wanted any suggestions of what to look at, I plan on looking at SRX and Lexus RX anything else I should look at?

Thanks

Last edited by rai; 09-13-13 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 06:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of the X5 and do not care for the 2014 body style, so if I was you, I might see if there was a deal to be had on a nice 2013 model. Other than that, I would closely look at an RX 450h.
Old 09-13-13, 06:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no problems at all for 126k miles
if this is important to you, I'd avoid the german cars, stick with an MDX and or RX.
Old 09-13-13, 06:58 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Highlander 14 limited awd if you can wait and not care about brand.Im waiting for that one. I test drove the MDX when it first out. It's very nice improvement but I was concern of the wind noise and interior will make noise in future . My brother got and 08 and it only has 32k miles. I know they are not quiet on highway cruise either. The new MDX is a little over price IMO.
Old 09-13-13, 07:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go loaded MDX.
Old 09-13-13, 07:16 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

You could get a Ford Explorer Sport or Ford Flex Limited with the 3.5 liter EcoBoost engine, loaded, for under $60,000 easily. The power output dwarfs anything else in the class with the exception of the Dodge Durango with the 5.7 liter Hemi. The Fords come equipped with loads of modern features including active cruise control and self-parking. Seriously, I owned a 2012 Ford Edge which had more features than my current 2013 Lexus GS 350 has.

The Dodge Durango has been refreshed for the 2014 model year. That may be worth a look as well.
Old 09-13-13, 07:44 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Outrage
You could get a Ford Explorer Sport or Ford Flex Limited with the 3.5 liter EcoBoost engine, loaded, for under $60,000 easily. The power output dwarfs anything else in the class with the exception of the Dodge Durango with the 5.7 liter Hemi. The Fords come equipped with loads of modern features including active cruise control and self-parking. Seriously, I owned a 2012 Ford Edge which had more features than my current 2013 Lexus GS 350 has.

The Dodge Durango has been refreshed for the 2014 model year. That may be worth a look as well.
Thanks, we are not looking for the most power output, we need to keep up with traffic, we are not towing anything or pulling stumps. My mother in law has the latest MKS and we are not impressed with that, I'm not sure if that would translate to the lower Fords, probably my guess if we dislike the Lincoln the Ford will not be for us.

Again we are not just looking for what car has the most features such as self parking really could care less, we want more refined car with adequate power not looking for Z06 engine or anything, and not just looking for the most crap load of features at the lowest price.
Old 09-13-13, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

you might be surprised by a loaded (SX-L / Limited) kia sorrento.
Old 09-13-13, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you might be surprised by a loaded (SX-L / Limited) kia sorrento.
Yep...Paul's right. I just reviewed a new top-line Sorento a few weeks ago. It provides an excellent amount of comfort (especially in ride) for the price....even at 40K.
Old 09-13-13, 08:10 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

If you like the MDX, I would recommend you also look at the Infiniti QX60 and a Buick Enclave. Both have AWD options. Yes, they are 3 row SUVs but if you don't have a need to use the 3rd row, you just get more storage. Infiniti's 360 degree, Around View camera system is pretty cool.
Old 09-13-13, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
If you like the MDX, I would recommend you also look at the Infiniti QX60 and a Buick Enclave. Both have AWD options. Yes, they are 3 row SUVs but if you don't have a need to use the 3rd row, you just get more storage. Infiniti's 360 degree, Around View camera system is pretty cool.
The Enclave has a gorgeous interior, but it's BIG. He might (?) not have enough room in his garage for something that size.
Old 09-13-13, 08:18 AM
vedro
Driver

Test drive 2014 Grand Cherokee. I never though i would say this but its a great SUV for the buck. My brother was looking for an SUV and had a similar budget, ended up getting a 2014 GC Ltd. Awesome!!! I was planning to replace my 2011 ML350 with 2014 ML but now, i think i may get myself Jeep as well.
Old 09-13-13, 08:36 AM
LexFather

If she's happy with the MDX I don't see her moving away from the new MDX since most people happy don't jump brands and the new MDX is such a barely try harmless effort for current owners to move up to.

Of course the SRX, RX (F-sport or 450h is my recommendation), Q5 are other options. Women are really loving the Q5 and I think it has a sweet spot for size ala the 1st gen RX. A lot of people are discovering they don't want to drive a larger SUV.

I honestly can't recommend the JX, I don't think its any better than the OLD MDX outside of the around view camera and my time with it was quite meh.

As stated the new GC and Durango are quite well done. To me at 60k that makes a BMW look more compelling than a loaded MDX but the new X5 hits late November/December.

Good luck

Old 09-13-13, 09:28 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has a JX and loves it. The proportions belie the size of it (it's really as large inside as a QX), and the interior materials are just as nice as the German brands.

I've never been in an MDX so I can't offer a comparison there, but like Blueprint said, you need to decide what size you want - a smaller SUV is much easier to drive, and people are surprised that they prefer them if they've never really driven one.
Old 09-13-13, 09:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

MDX, RDX, RX, Pathfinder, Edge, MKX, Q5 all get my vote

Quick Reply: Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..