RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

quiet, smooth ride tires for 2009 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 10:10 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet, smooth ride tires for 2009 RX 350

What are the recommendations for a quiet, smooth riding tire? Tread wear is not as important as a quiet smooth ride. I am getting this car tomorrow, and I remember from the test drive, it seemed sort of stiff and I could feel bumps more than I do in my old 4 Runner that has extra wide tires. So looking for something to give it a quieter, smoother ride. I believe the tires are OEM as it was a leased vehicle, with 1 lessee. I think it's 225 65 17. Thank you!
Old 09-13-12, 11:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bnewcol
What are the recommendations for a quiet, smooth riding tire? Tread wear is not as important as a quiet smooth ride. I am getting this car tomorrow, and I remember from the test drive, it seemed sort of stiff and I could feel bumps more than I do in my old 4 Runner that has extra wide tires. So looking for something to give it a quieter, smoother ride. I believe the tires are OEM as it was a leased vehicle, with 1 lessee. I think it's 225 65 17. Thank you!
Welcome to Club Lexus, bnewcol.

Curious to hear what tire and perhaps tire pressures are in the tires currently on that RX350 to give the ride characteristics you mention. One thing I have not heard much complaining about with the 2nd Generation RX was a hard ride. This is especially true for those with 17" tires as they would help in giving it an even more compliant ride.

For ride comfort and noise, the surveys at Tire Rack seem to indicate the Yokohama Parada Spec-X or the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring being some you might want to consider. However, this can be a bit subjective. Here is a list of some available tires for the RX350 in that size. You can read some of the reviews to help zero in on your decision.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...tpackage=false

There are also a number of existing threads on the topic of tires here. You can use the search features to find plenty of information on this topic. Be sure to note there are many threads on the topic of just the 18" "plus 1" optional upgrade size which many of us have. So, discussions on those may not pertain to your needs.
Old 09-14-12, 06:14 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

So Far the Parada X has been very nice on our RX400h....only 10k on them.
Old 09-14-12, 11:06 AM
bnewcol
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

Curious to hear what tire and perhaps tire pressures are in the tires currently on that RX350 to give the ride characteristics you mention. One thing I have not heard much complaining about with the 2nd Generation RX was a hard ride. This is especially true for those with 17" tires as they would help in giving it an even more compliant ride.

For ride comfort and noise, the surveys at Tire Rack seem to indicate the Yokohama Parada Spec-X or the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring being some you might want to consider. However, this can be a bit subjective. Here is a list of some available tires for the RX350 in that size. You can read some of the reviews to help zero in on your decision.

There are also a number of existing threads on the topic of tires here. You can use the search features to find plenty of information on this topic. Be sure to note there are many threads on the topic of just the 18" "plus 1" optional upgrade size which many of us have. So, discussions on those may not pertain to your needs.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I went thru quite a lot of postings here about which tires were good. I've read that the Yokohama can be a stiffer ride, feeling bumps. I get the car in a couple hours, so will post back what is on there.
Old 09-14-12, 06:38 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

OK, I have the car, it has Hankook Ventus AS tires, the tire size is 235/55R/18. It's not as bad as I remembered during the test drive smoothness wise, they are brand new, but slightly noisier than what I'm used to. So...will live with them, but for the next pair, I'll do the research and see what there is by then. Thank you.
Old 09-14-12, 06:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

OK, I have the car, it has Hankook Ventus AS tires, the tire size is 235/55R/18. It's not as bad as I remembered during the test drive smoothness wise, they are brand new, but slightly noisier than what I'm used to. So...will live with them, but for the next pair, I'll do the research and see what there is by then. Thank you.
Definitely not a top tier tire when it comes to the RX. Am going to guess they were put on by the dealership as they are fairly inexpensive compared to a number of others on the market and I am sure the dealership gets a huge discount on them.
Old 09-14-12, 07:02 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Definitely not a top tier tire when it comes to the RX. Am going to guess they were put on by the dealership as they are fairly inexpensive compared to a number of others on the market and I am sure the dealership gets a huge discount on them.
Yes, the dealer did put them on. So still the rec is either Yokahoma or Goodyear Assurance comfort tread? What about Pirelli's Scorpion Verdes or Bridgestone Duele H/L Ecopia?
Old 09-14-12, 07:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Yes, the dealer did put them on. So still the rec is either Yokahoma or Goodyear Assurance comfort tread? What about Pirelli's Scorpion Verdes or Bridgestone Duele H/L Ecopia?
For 18", that would be the current consensus.