RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Wheel Arches

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 11:15 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Arches

I seem to get noticeable road noise coming from my car on some very coarse surfaces. Part of this impact would be due to the tyres and how well they handle different surfaces as you're driving. I also suspect that road noise in an SUV vs a sedan is significantly different due to the cargo area in the back being open (i.e. wagon). Unlike a sedan which has the rear wheel arches enclosed in a box technically, an SUV doesn't have this luxury. This would account for why my old ES was almost dead quiet when driving on any surface.

I know there were changes made to the RX when the 350 was released and I believed they were able to silence the RX to that of almost dead quiet, unlike the 330 which allows some of that noise in (in everything but a smooth surface). This got me thinking and wondering.

1) Did the RX350 have additional sound proofing done? I suspect so, but does anyone know where this sound proofing was added to help with the residual road noise?

2) Would it be conceivable to remove the panels and carpeting around the rear wheel arch and bolster that up with some additional sound proofing? Maybe even adding some additional sound proofing along the floor of the cargo area as well? Would it possibly reduce the wheel noise you get from the back? I know there's lot of sound proofing materials that can be bought online, but they are expensive and I am looking for a solution that would not be cost prohibitive and easy to obtain.

3) There have been other threads discussing filling the indent behind the rear seat (where the navigation DVD resides in). I have yet to find something that would sit in there that would not be a fire hazard and isn't expensive to obtain.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 03-13-11, 09:40 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What tires are you using? Which deadeners have you considered?
Old 03-13-11, 10:11 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I know there were changes made to the RX when the 350 was released and I believed they were able to silence the RX to that of almost dead quiet, unlike the 330 which allows some of that noise in (in everything but a smooth surface).
Well, I can tell you that the RX350 is NOT a quiet car. The road noise is especially bad on rough roads. I changed my Goodyear tires to Michelin, but it didn't make any difference. Some members have commented on this forum about having very good results lining the trunk area below the tool boxes with DynaMat Soundproofing. There are some postings here with photos. Do a search.
Old 03-13-11, 10:37 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Well, I can tell you that the RX350 is NOT a quiet car. The road noise is especially bad on rough roads. I changed my Goodyear tires to Michelin, but it didn't make any difference. Some members have commented on this forum about having very good results lining the trunk area below the tool boxes with DynaMat Soundproofing. There are some postings here with photos. Do a search.
Very interesting search. One thing I hadn't considered is the potential for smelling like a roofing project. Heat causes asphalt based deadeners to break down and release the odor, not a good thing for Texas.
Old 03-14-11, 06:54 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I forget what my tyres actually are, but they're supposed to be noise reducers. They were brand new tyres when I bought the car a year and a bit ago. They have "waltz" stamped on them, but I can't recollect the brand at the moment. Will have another look tomorrow if I get a chance. I haven't looked at any deadeners as yet, as I am trying to make this a potential cost saving exercise, rather than get something expensive that will also weigh down the car further.
Old 03-14-11, 08:21 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys could try out the weird cloth that is in the rear arch of the new Camrys. It deadens sound pretty well in the rare case that I'm sitting in the back of my car
Old 03-14-11, 09:32 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Weird cloth? Please explain. Pictures?

Maybe I just get a big carpet and put it under the trim...............
Old 03-15-11, 11:00 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Weird cloth? Please explain. Pictures?

Maybe I just get a big carpet and put it under the trim...............
Its like sound deadening cloth. I'd grab a picture for you but my car is too low to get a good picture of it haha. I'll try to find a stock one in the school parking lot for you though. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty around you to check out. Its only in the rear wheel arch, probably peppered with leaves since they tend to "stick" to it
Old 03-15-11, 03:39 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Found something from one of the local shops here that would possibly help for what I would like to do. It is also quite cheap.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...d&form=KEYWORD

This for the boot area (flame retardant)

Old 03-15-11, 03:53 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

You sound determined, whatever you do please take pics as you go along.
Old 05-28-11, 05:42 AM
rme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the noise is that bad spray LineX or some other bed liner into the wheel wheels. It made add some weight but it will kill any sound...
Old 05-28-11, 10:22 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

^^ or rubberized undercoating... since its the same thing
Old 05-30-11, 06:53 AM
rme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that will work too...or rhino lining as well. You know you can adjust the amount they spray in their for the thickness so consider that as well...