RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Mech placed Fuel Pump and says needs PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 05:12 PM
chinoawl
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mech placed Fuel Pump and says needs PCM?

Hi All,

My partner was driving on the highway with no issues, when all of a sudden the car died and wouldnt start or sputter back up.

Towed to shop, they diag'd as Fuel Pump. Just replaced, and now they are saying "when the pump was replaced they tried turning the car back on and it went into limp mode and decided to check and realized that the pcm was going out. they reset it and now it is intermittent" (whatever intermittent means here, this is 2nd hand so these are all the details I have)

Their suggestions are to trade it in or go to the dealership.

Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas? I've done fuel pumps before, and never had electrical issues afterwards. Bad diag from the start?
Old 05-07-24, 12:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by chinoawl
Hi All,

Their suggestions are to trade it in or go to the dealership.

Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas? I've done fuel pumps before, and never had electrical issues afterwards. Bad diag from the start?
Yeah, that's what I'd say also. Never heard of both going bad at the same time before. Possibly replaced the pump as it wasn't getting power, to confim, I would of bypassed the electical system & used a jumper wire direct to the pump. Seems like that shop is just parts changers, & can't diag, so tells you to hit up a dealership. Wow.........
The following 2 users liked this post by Felix:
Margate330 (05-07-24), MattRX (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 01:10 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

The usual "Hey, we're gonna throw your money at problems we know little about and if it doens't work we'll still charge you high labor rates". The dealer will do the very same jsut at a far higher labor hourly rate. They'll learn things on your dollar and time. I hope you did not actually have to pay any labor on the first attempt since they did nothing to actually solve your issue yet cost you precious time
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 01:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

No way he diagnosed a bad ecm unless the mechanic has a whole lot more data that was not told to the customer.

Because he can't figure it out, trade it in or sell it? Lol

​​​​​​What are the codes? 🤓

I'd drive around with a scanner plugged in and monitor the fuel trims too

PS, as OP suspected and asked, I agree it was a bad diagnosis from the start or the job got botched. Lol

>> Welcome to Club Lexus and your 1st Post!

Last edited by Margate330; 05-07-24 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-07-24, 02:37 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Because he can't figure it out, trade it in or sell it? Lol

​​​​​​
That would infuriate me.
And, yeah, if indeed the pcm was smoked, I would suspect they smoked the computer, too, with their "diagnosis."
Margate330 (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 03:13 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I do advanced diagnostics for my job and I will say that intermittent electrical faults are the most difficult of them all.

Since they went ahead and put in a new fuel pump AND if we can assume the job was done properly, this means the easy stuff was already done and now the hard stuff begins -aka- chasing down intermittent demons. lol

PS- I'm not a fan of firing the parts cannon but in my work, it's invaluable to have good known working pieces to swap in to find faults so in this special case, I'd buy a fuel pump relay just for this diagnosis and keep it for a spare if it doesn't fix the problem.

Here's where I'm at so far and I made some notes on it.
(Posted in fair use for commentary and discussion).

spinellib (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 07:14 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Phil, that's a great diagram; it's like a flow chart.

Maybe best to just start from scratch and treat this as a Crank/No Start. Confirm fuel, confirm spark, etc.
Old 05-07-24, 07:26 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spinellib
Phil, that's a great diagram; it's like a flow chart.

Maybe best to just start from scratch and treat this as a Crank/No Start. Confirm fuel, confirm spark, etc.
Thank you @spinellib !

Yeah, your right, we actually don't know for a fact that it's fuel related. Lol 🤣

My notes above are for fuel related going off mechanics fuel delivery diagnosis however more info is needed.

Probably best to start over.
Old 05-07-24, 08:36 PM
chinoawl
7th Gear

Well I wrote a whole reply but it got deleted.

In short,
picked up car today. No issues 45 mins home. they said it entered limp mode when they replaced fuel pump, resetting pcm (i think they mightve had to do it twice) resolved it. their concern is that the pcm is dying. I assume though its just bad data from when the car died from fuel pump issue?

Car seems good now. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-24, 08:45 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

In short,
picked up car today. No issues 45 mins home. they said it entered limp mode when they replaced fuel pump, resetting pcm (i think they mightve had to do it twice) resolved it. their concern is that the pcm is dying. I assume though its just bad data from when the car died from fuel pump issue?

Ideas - yes, run codes also use Techstream for real-time data
Old 05-08-24, 12:36 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

In short,

Or perhaps they found and corrected their error and don't want to tell you what really happened. Who knows, maybe they broke/unplugged a connector in their "diagnosis" without knowing it.
Old 05-08-24, 11:25 AM
chinoawl
7th Gear

Update::

Driving today, 40 min trip (~90 mins of driving since picking it up), no issues. On the way back, it's stalling when slowing down to stop, or when we stop moving. Car seems fine under power, we will see if it resolves itself again.

Any ideas?
Old 05-08-24, 11:26 AM
chinoawl
7th Gear

I will be able to run codes on it tomorrow night, I'm out of the area right now
Old 05-08-24, 06:03 PM
chinoawl
7th Gear

Battery, check engine, and oil light are on
Old 05-08-24, 07:58 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

no help without knowing what the codes are... are you certain your battery is fully charged? Not that it might be "new" but fully charged... that is the first thing to look at. Do you have a maintainer and/or charger? Once you've established the battery is 100% post the codes

Quick Reply: Mech placed Fuel Pump and says needs PCM?