RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Mudguard Install and Oil change at Toyota Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 07:07 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Mudguard Install and Oil change at Toyota Dealer

I was just talking to my Toyota Dealership for an oil change cost and a mudguard install on my RX330. This is the price they told me.

Regular Oil change: $39.95
Synthetic Oil change: $64.95
Mudguard Install: $42.95

I have bought the mudguards online already.

After I heard this I was shocked at the price difference for having Toyota vs Lexus ($120) install the mudguards.

I was wondering what you guys think about me going to Toyota to do the installation of the mudguards. I know I can do it myself but this way i have someone to yell at if they screw up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-07, 07:29 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

The prices listed for the oil change seem a little high but may be in line with the area. The Toyota dealer here in Jamestown charges $24.95 for regular oil change and somewhere around $50. for the synthetic. The "Express Care" (Vavloline products) here charges $27.95 for regular oil change and $54.95 for synthetic. Their service includes the usual topping off of all fluids, checking tire pressure, vacuum the interior, and clean the all windows inside and out. I get my RX serviced at the Toyota dealer with oil change and tire rotation for $45.

As for the installation of mud flaps, that probably is about right. It is a fairly easy installation (there is a thread for this in the RX330/RX350 section). Does not involve removing of tires. Probably takes in the area of an 45 mins to an hour to do all 4. The reason for Lexus being so high is probably their "Shop Rate". Most Lexus dealers run arount $100. to $125. an hour for their "Shop Rate" while regular dealers are more in the $75. range (at least around here). I have not put flaps on my RX but have been giving it serious thoughts. I did my Ford pickup with Ford "OEM" flaps shortly after I bought it and it took me less than an 30 mins. to do all four. But then again with the Ford "OEM" flaps I didn't have to drill a thing. The flaps come with the mounting holes in them and all you do is remove three screws in the vehicle wheel well, put the flap in place and reinstall the screws. Can't get much easier than that! Wish Lexus would have theirs like that. But I guess for $42. it might be worth it to have them do it, no mess, and if they screw-up you can yell at them and make them fix it.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple Trim, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Cleaners, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's.
1998 GX300 (Previously owned and my first Lexus. Wish I still had it)
Old 01-03-07, 08:23 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
I know I can do it myself but this way i have someone to yell at if they screw up.

Thanks in advance.
Monish:

What you mention here is the risk factor and to what degree of fix would the facility go to satisfy an unhappy customer. Based on past history, the shops charge extra.

There are other reason including too and the most obvious one is "profit" for dealer [customer ]

Salim
Old 01-03-07, 09:29 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Monish:

What you mention here is the risk factor and to what degree of fix would the facility go to satisfy an unhappy customer. Based on past history, the shops charge extra.

There are other reason including too and the most obvious one is "profit" for dealer [customer ]

Salim
Well of course, everyone is in it for the money but my thing is just to get it done right. and for 42 bucks and from Toyota is not bad!!
Old 01-03-07, 04:02 PM
eagle
Driver School Candidate

My brother in law is a manager at a local Toyota dealership.

He says don't bother taking the car for simple installations like mudguards. He says non-mechanic type work are relegated to interns or folks who don't know enough about cars.

Reason this came up is because my wife wanted to take it to the dealership to get it done there.

I did it today and it was very easy.

Thanks,
eagle
Old 01-03-07, 04:18 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eagle
My brother in law is a manager at a local Toyota dealership.

He says don't bother taking the car for simple installations like mudguards. He says non-mechanic type work are relegated to interns or folks who don't know enough about cars.

Reason this came up is because my wife wanted to take it to the dealership to get it done there.

I did it today and it was very easy.

Thanks,
eagle
I agree. About 15 years ago when I was just out of HS and working at a Japanese car dealership, those are all the kinds of things they would have us do.

Personally, I would do it myself as it is easy and you would save yourself $42.

The oil changes seem on par for a dealership. Synthetic oil can be bought at Walmart and such for about $25 for Mobile 1, plus no more than $10 for the filter, so $30 for the service plus oil disposal fees are not too outrageous. The Lexus price is outrageous though.

These really are very easy things to do yourself. If you don't have the time I can understand though. Here in Hawaii, friends would do an oil change and install those mud flaps for you for a good plate lunch (Abut $6 value) You pay for the oil and filter though.
Old 01-03-07, 05:13 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing the mud guards is a breeze... you don't even have to drill into any metal parts - just plastic ones.

This thread talks about it a lot. I posted tips from my experience on page 3.
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160378
Old 01-05-07, 09:29 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Yeah I might just do it myself since and intern at Toyota is just going to do the install. ( no offense)

So I will keep you all posted on how it goes thanks once again for all of your replies.

One thing ....for the oil change do I need some type of special wrench to take off the old filter?

Old 01-06-07, 01:36 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
Yeah I might just do it myself since and intern at Toyota is just going to do the install. ( no offense)

So I will keep you all posted on how it goes thanks once again for all of your replies.

One thing ....for the oil change do I need some type of special wrench to take off the old filter?

Fpr the 2004-2006 RX330 you do not need any special wrench to take the filter off. You just need the correct size canister type oil filter wrench, or those self adjusting ones. The 07 RX350 later changed to a cartridge type filter where you use a different tool. If you are interested do a search for special Lexus oil filter tool, or something like that and you should come up with a few results. You don't need the special Lexus tool though as solutions has been found. Anyway, again for the RX330 changing oil is the same like most other cars that use the screw on filter canister.
Old 01-06-07, 11:57 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Also, if the filter is being removed for the first time, you will require more effort than normal. I would let the dealer do the first chnage (it is complimantary).

Salim