RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Typical cost for synthetic oil change at Toyota Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-16, 07:56 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Typical cost for synthetic oil change at Toyota Dealers

I recently took the wife's RX350 to Toyota of Rock Hill for a oil change (brought Mobi1 0w20 in) for a labor charge of $15. I thought this was a great deal until they told me that they only charge $45 for a synthetic oil change. I asked them what brand of oil they use and they told me Mobi1. I find it hard to believe that they only charge $45+ tax for this type of oil change. That's cheaper than Precision Tune. I'm not sure if the service guy was lying or just saw my oil and assumed. lol. Does this sound farfetched anyone?
Old 06-19-16, 03:10 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

I buy my Mobil 1 0-20 oil from Walmart for $22-$25 for a five quart jug. I do the same thing and take it and the filter to a local Toyota dealer to change for $15. The filter is $5 so if it is truly $45 which I doubt that comes exactly to the price of bringing your own. Here is a post I wrote for someone talking about the routine maintenance.
Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership if so inclined. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor.
Old 06-19-16, 07:44 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

They told me they also use Mobil 1 0-20 which I find hard to believe due to the price point of $45. I'll take it there anyway in 10k miles. That cabin filter runs for $32 at Walmart. That's kinda pricey. Btw what part of NC you're from?
Old 06-19-16, 08:46 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Not too different - Toyota vs Lexus - oil change

Toyota

Lexus
Old 06-19-16, 03:21 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not gonna start a whole oil debate. but personally i wouldnt go the 10k miles with mobil synthetic.
Old 06-19-16, 03:54 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Freds430
I buy my Mobil 1 0-20 oil from Walmart for $22-$25 for a five quart jug. I do the same thing and take it and the filter to a local Toyota dealer to change for $15. The filter is $5 so if it is truly $45 which I doubt that comes exactly to the price of bringing your own. Here is a post I wrote for someone talking about the routine maintenance.
Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership if so inclined. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor.
You only buy one 5 quart jug? I believe you need 2 additional quarts since it takes 6.4 quarts. It come up to $40 + filter cost.
Old 06-20-16, 07:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The dealer gets the oil in 55 gallon drums at wholesale prices far less than than you pay at Wal-Mart. Same with the filters. Toyota Ow-20 oil is made for them by Mobil and is actually a better oil with a more robust additive package.
I used those carbon cabin filters and found they blocked the air flow and think the carbon has little if any effect. I went back to the cheaper ones that actually let air flow through them after my wife complained the A/C was broken and there was no air coming through the vents.
Old 06-21-16, 03:31 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The dealer gets the oil in 55 gallon drums at wholesale prices far less than than you pay at Wal-Mart. Same with the filters. Toyota Ow-20 oil is made for them by Mobil and is actually a better oil with a more robust additive package.
I used those carbon cabin filters and found they blocked the air flow and think the carbon has little if any effect. I went back to the cheaper ones that actually let air flow through them after my wife complained the A/C was broken and there was no air coming through the vents.
As I understand it, the Toyota oil is not "better" than Mobil 1, though it is lighter in weight to meet the needs of the Prius Hybrid. The additives, too, are formulated differently for that same purpose. It may, in fact, be too light for extended use in non-hybrid vehicles. If you have more specific information that would show how it is actually better for non-hybrid's, I would be very interested in reading that. Using the best oil available for any vehicle is the first step to lengthy, reliable operation.
Old 06-21-16, 04:22 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 11bravo
As I understand it, the Toyota oil is not "better" than Mobil 1, though it is lighter in weight to meet the needs of the Prius Hybrid. The additives, too, are formulated differently for that same purpose. It may, in fact, be too light for extended use in non-hybrid vehicles. If you have more specific information that would show how it is actually better for non-hybrid's, I would be very interested in reading that. Using the best oil available for any vehicle is the first step to lengthy, reliable operation.
just go on bobistheoilguy and search toyota 0w20 oil analysis and you will see how good the test results were
Old 06-21-16, 05:30 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Okay, geek, I went there. There is no obvious heading for "toyota 0w20", and no search result. Now, I know you saw it there somewhere, and I would appreciate the exact link, if you have it.

I did not say a word about the quality of the oil after 10K. I am sure it is great oil. My post involved whether or not it is a good oil for non-hybrid vehicles. If "bob" addresses that, I would really like to read about it.
Old 06-21-16, 05:42 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 11bravo
Okay, geek, I went there. There is no obvious heading for "toyota 0w20", and no search result. Now, I know you saw it there somewhere, and I would appreciate the exact link, if you have it.

I did not say a word about the quality of the oil after 10K. I am sure it is great oil. My post involved whether or not it is a good oil for non-hybrid vehicles. If "bob" addresses that, I would really like to read about it.
i usually dont reply to ignorant posts but this "geek" is in a good mood. so here you go..

About 91,500 results (0.42 seconds)

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyo...stheoilguy.com
Old 06-21-16, 06:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Greeknasty, maybe it was a case of auto correct. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. 11bravo, there are a few threads talking about different brands of oils in the forum. Some use Mobil but Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic seems to be the most popular choice around here.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-21-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 07:22 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kitlz
Greeknasty, maybe it was a case of auto correct. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. 11bravo, there are a few threads talking about different brands of oils in the forum. Some use Mobil but Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic seems to be the most popular choice around here.
thank you for that reply, kitlz. I got yet another snarky comment from the poster, referring to me as ignorant. All I wanted was the link to the specific claim he made. If that makes me ignorant, I am guilty.

My research has found that Toyota 020W was formulated to be used in the Prius, and that it is about 25% lower viscosity than the same grade of Mobil 1. Ultra-low viscosity oils are known not to benefit gas engines for prolonged use, and I was merely looking for the substance of "bobtheoilguy"'s findings to that regard. Thank you for trying to clear it up.
Old 06-22-16, 03:50 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

11bravo, Lexus has recommended Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic oil with a 12 month/10,000 mile change interval since February 2010 That's when they made the switch from conventional oil and more frequent oil changes. According to the letter I received back then, low viscosity synthetic oil "enhance(s) engine protection in a wide variety of operating temperatures." It's been over six years now. greeknasty didn't provide a specific link but thousands to show test results prove Toyota 0W-20 synthetic is fine. If you use something else, Lexus recommends changing the oil every 6 months/5,000 miles.
Old 06-22-16, 11:45 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kitlz
11bravo, Lexus has recommended Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic oil with a 12 month/10,000 mile change interval since February 2010 That's when they made the switch from conventional oil and more frequent oil changes. According to the letter I received back then, low viscosity synthetic oil "enhance(s) engine protection in a wide variety of operating temperatures." It's been over six years now. greeknasty didn't provide a specific link but thousands to show test results prove Toyota 0W-20 synthetic is fine. If you use something else, Lexus recommends changing the oil every 6 months/5,000 miles.
Thank you very much, K! That is the kind of info I was looking for...very brief, and to the point.

I realize greek (thought it was "geek", my apologies) was trying to help. We all, myself included, need to realize that just because we know where something is, and can easily find it, doesn't mean everyone else will be able to. That is why it helps to get a link to an exact quote, or fact sheet. I thank you, and greek, for making the effort.

Jim (buck)

Quick Reply: Typical cost for synthetic oil change at Toyota Dealers