Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

power steering failure (P/S light)

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-05, 09:56 PM   #1
turbostang
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Default power steering failure (P/S light)

Hi folks,

I have about 4500~~ miles on my 2006 RX400H. And tonight the P/S light apeared on my gauge.
I cant barely turn the wheel to get out of my driveway.

Is there anyway I can fix the P/S myself? How did this happen? Can I prevent this from happening again in the future??

I am beginning to question Lexus quality. If I can't fix this myself, i'll just bring it back to Lexus to fix the p/s and get my 5000 miles free service.

Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
turbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 05:35 AM   #2
jerryray
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jerryray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 147
Default

I am sure that pump is electric. Check the fuse panel?

What dealer do you use for service?
jerryray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 06:34 AM   #3
Lil4X
Out of Warranty
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lil4X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas
Posts: 12,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray
I am sure that pump is electric. Check the fuse panel?
That'd be my best guess, too! The P/S pump on the 330 is engine driven (no P/S warning light), but the 400h powers the accessories electrically. Check fuses as indicated in your owner's manual - otherwise check with your dealer ASAP. As with almost any fuse failure, something CAUSED it!

Best of luck, and Welcome to CL!
__________________
“Draw your chair up close to the edge of the precipice and I’ll tell you a story."
_____________________- F. Scott Fitzgerald
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 04:11 PM   #4
turbostang
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I checked the fuse panel already. The P/S use a 7.5 fuse. no 26. No blown fuse. All other fuses are fine too.

I am going to call Bay Ridge Lexus tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can squeeze me in to repair this problem . Is really sux when I have to park at a tight spot today.

Will keep you guys updated on the repair. Thank God for factory warranty coverage.
turbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 05:02 PM   #5
nopcbs
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 123
Default This is a safety issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I checked the fuse panel already. The P/S use a 7.5 fuse. no 26. No blown fuse. All other fuses are fine too.

I am going to call Bay Ridge Lexus tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can squeeze me in to repair this problem . Is really sux when I have to park at a tight spot today.

Will keep you guys updated on the repair. Thank God for factory warranty coverage.
...demand that they get you in and fix it tomorrow. Also, post the problem on the NHTSA web site. They will not help you get it fixed, but if it turns out to be a chronic problem with electric PS, they can force a recall.
nopcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 06:46 PM   #6
turbostang
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Default

let see what happen tomorrow. Hopefully they will give me a loaner car otherwise i will be force to drive my mustang for the weekend. (aka gas guzzler)

This is terrible, practically brand new vehicle and the p/s clunked out. I wonder whats next to break down.
turbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 05:40 AM   #7
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
let see what happen tomorrow. Hopefully they will give me a loaner car otherwise i will be force to drive my mustang for the weekend. (aka gas guzzler)

This is terrible, practically brand new vehicle and the p/s clunked out. I wonder whats next to break down.
sux really... You should have called the dealer right away to take care of it, longer you wait with any kind of problem, you are justing getting madder and madder.... And of course, you will get an loaner
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 08:33 AM   #8
katzjamr
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 153
Default power steering

Last July in another 400h forum this failure did happen to another 400h owner. (i believe his vehicle had even fewer miles on it than yours) It turned out to be the Power Steering Control unit, im told that is the computer that controls the power steering.
I think after this repair you will find your 400h very reliable.
katzjamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 10:29 PM   #9
turbostang
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Default

Well I did drop the hybrid off at the dealer today. The service director said my Clifford transponder alarm could had cause this p/s problem. (B/S, Typical dealer excuse)
I told him the alarm was installed back in September the day I picked up the hybrid and this p/s issue happen Thanksgiving Thursday.

Anyway the hybrid must stay at the shop for a few days. They will perform the complimentary 5k miles maintaince service, Headlight assembly recall, and the P/S issue.

One good thing about Lexus, they gave me a loaner vehicle a 2005 RX330 , too bad no Navigation system

I will inform you folks the result next week when the vehicle had been repaired.

Have a good weekend.
turbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 07:18 AM   #10
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Well I did drop the hybrid off at the dealer today. The service director said my Clifford transponder alarm could had cause this p/s problem. (B/S, Typical dealer excuse)
I told him the alarm was installed back in September the day I picked up the hybrid and this p/s issue happen Thanksgiving Thursday.

Anyway the hybrid must stay at the shop for a few days. They will perform the complimentary 5k miles maintaince service, Headlight assembly recall, and the P/S issue.

One good thing about Lexus, they gave me a loaner vehicle a 2005 RX330 , too bad no Navigation system

I will inform you folks the result next week when the vehicle had been repaired.

Have a good weekend.
ah, so you have an alarm installed...While I doubt actual unit might have caused an issue, something during installation might have. Alarm installers get to test/cut a lot wires during installation. It doesnt have to show right away either.

I am glad you didnt blame the alarm guys, I hate it when people immediatly do that. But reality is that, it might cause some issues (or not).

I work at Toyota dealership and own car alarm/security shop :-).
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 07:18 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
350, dashboard, fuse, gs, gs350, indicator, is250, is350, lexus, light, power, ps, rx, rx400, steering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2