RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

idrive Garage door opener won't work with my RX Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 03:19 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default idrive Garage door opener won't work with my RX Homelink

Just bought a great new opener on the recommendation of one of our forum members but unfortunately for some reason I can't get my 1999 RX's Homelink visor system to record the transmitters code. My RX has learned other rolling code transmitters in the past but it will not learn the Wayne Dalton idrive transmitter.

Anyone have one of these and has gotten it to work? Also, is the entire Homlink pkg. in the visor and do you think if I purchased a new visor of a newer model that it might work with my 1999? I'm at a loss. I'll be bummed if I can't use the visor transmitter...
Old 08-04-03, 05:55 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two ideas:

One is to completely reset the RX homelink by holding the outer two buttons till the light flashes. The other is to contract Johnson Controls via their web site. They have excellent tech support:

HomeLink
Old 08-04-03, 02:38 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got through to Wayne Dalton Tech Support and their transmitters have a couple of extra steps involved in programming homelink compatible cars. Info they do NOT have in the owners manual or on their website!

Programming a HomeLink™ Compatible idrive ™
Wayne-Dalton Corp.

PRECAUTIONS
During programming the garage door may operate. Pull the Service Disconnect to put the operator in the disengaged position. Make sure people and objects are out of the way of the moving door to prevent potential harm or damage.

Programming
Training HomeLink™ Unit
1. You must first program the Wayne-Dalton hand-held transmitter to the idrive™ power head. See idrive™ manual.

2. Pull the Service Disconnect to put the operator in the disengaged position.

3. Press and hold the two outside buttons on the HomeLink™ unit until the HomeLink™ light begins to flash rapidly (approx. 20 seconds), then release both buttons. (Do not perform this step to train additional hand-held transmitters.) Note that this operation erases all previously learned transmitters and that you need to re-teach any other transmitters to your HomeLink™ unit by repeating steps 4 - 7 below.

4. Hold the end of the Wayne-Dalton hand-held transmitter approximately 1 to 3 inches away from the HomeLink™ surface – keeping the HomeLink™ indicator light in view.

5. Press and hold the Wayne-Dalton hand-held transmitter’s large center button. The transmitter’s red LED indicator will turn on. After 10 seconds the red indicator will blink rapidly for 5 seconds and then turn off, continue to hold the transmitter’s button, the LED will remain off for approximately 5 seconds and then come on steady. Do not release the button.

6. While still holding the Wayne-Dalton transmitter button (red indicator on steady), immediately press the desired HomeLink™ button. Do not release the either button until step 7 has been completed.

7. The HomeLink™ indicator light will be blinking during the training operation. When the HomeLink™ indicator light flashes rapidly or turns off (approx. 5 to 60 seconds), both buttons may be released. The HomeLink™ light flashing rapidly or turning off indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal.

Teaching Power Unit
8. Now press the PROGRAM SWITCH button located on the idrive™ power head once. The idrive™ unit will beep, indicating that it is ready to learn.

9. Now press the HomeLink™ button used in Step 7 above for 1 to 3 seconds. The idrive™ will beep indicating a successful learn.

10. Return the Service Disconnect to the engaged position.

Press the HomeLink™ button once more to operate the door.
Anyway thought I'd follow up in case other Lexus owners run into this problem.
Old 08-04-03, 02:48 PM
RXMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something else to consider. Your garage door opener will only hold a certain amount of codes. I have a "Overhead Door" opener and I think it is limited to storing 6 codes. In other words, you could only program six openers and no more. You might have to clear all codes and re-train each remote including the homelink.