RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 AWD In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 05:55 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 AWD In The Snow

Hey Guys,

For all you RX300 AWD owners out there, I wanted to ask you the following:

1.) If you've taken it to the snow, how did it handle? Did you feel confident & did the car feel steady? Were there moments you felt like you going to lose control?
2.) Since you have full-time active AWD and snow mode via the ECT, did you need to use chains?

The reason I ask is that I may be hitting the snow shortly after Christmas and want to be prepared. I'm also open to any advice you may have in driving in the snow with this car. I love my RX and I don't want to damage it or anything. I'm a California beach kid so I don't have much experience driving in the show

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-14, 06:34 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by appsdba
Hey Guys,

For all you RX300 AWD owners out there, I wanted to ask you the following:

1.) If you've taken it to the snow, how did it handle? Did you feel confident & did the car feel steady? Were there moments you felt like you going to lose control?
2.) Since you have full-time active AWD and snow mode via the ECT, did you need to use chains?

The reason I ask is that I may be hitting the snow shortly after Christmas and want to be prepared. I'm also open to any advice you may have in driving in the snow with this car. I love my RX and I don't want to damage it or anything. I'm a California beach kid so I don't have much experience driving in the show

Thanks in advance.
1.) If you've taken it to the snow, how did it handle?I have used the car in the snow (03 FWD) and it felt almost exactly the same. I did enable snow mode but that was mostly a confidence booster/doesn't let you accelerate as rapidly button. Did you feel confident & did the car feel steady? In the snow the car handles very close to regular driving. Remember to read this article about braking and turning: http://hope.ly/1zxTodn Were there moments you felt like you going to lose control? Yes. I am situated in Dallas and man not a lot of snow but oh man there's ice. I have slid while stopped atop a small hill on ice. I am sure it wasn't the car's fault but crap it was scary. There's nothing like remembering that YOU'RE in control. Remember your limits and the car's limits. You may be an F1 driver but they don't drive in snow and ice.
Well I don't have AWD and I didn't ever feel the need for it really, I will provide proper backup to Hypervish's comment that tires are everything. http://hope.ly/1zwbvBN

Last edited by jgoorn; 12-17-14 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Answering the questions too!
Old 12-17-14, 06:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

1) Yes, I live in the Northeast so snow is a way of life. I feel confident and the AWD system has worked flawlessly thus far in up to 2 feet of snow. I have the limited slip rear differential so that gives me an advantage over other RX300s. Drive with common sense, know your cars limits and you won't find yourself getting into a sticky situation.

2) Where are you planning on driving that will require chains? I don't think chains will work on the RX300 due to the limited space between the rear strut and tire (read the manual regarding this, I remembering seeing info about this in there).

Most importantly remember that AWD can only be as good as your tires allow it to be. There is no substitute for SNOW tires. AWD may help you get moving, but they won't help you STOP.
Old 12-17-14, 06:43 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been fine even without snow turned on.
Old 12-17-14, 06:52 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DewHawk
Yeah when I used it I noticed a significant confidence boost, engine braking, and reduced acceleration (because of start in 2nd gear)
Old 12-17-14, 09:09 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
1) Yes, I live in the Northeast so snow is a way of life. I feel confident and the AWD system has worked flawlessly thus far in up to 2 feet of snow. I have the limited slip rear differential so that gives me an advantage over other RX300s. Drive with common sense, know your cars limits and you won't find yourself getting into a sticky situation.

2) Where are you planning on driving that will require chains? I don't think chains will work on the RX300 due to the limited space between the rear strut and tire (read the manual regarding this, I remembering seeing info about this in there).

Most importantly remember that AWD can only be as good as your tires allow it to be. There is no substitute for SNOW tires. AWD may help you get moving, but they won't help you STOP.
Thank you for your input, hypervish. Good stuff and I will take it to heart. I plan on going to Sequoia and then Big Bear.
Old 12-17-14, 09:10 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgoorn
1.) If you've taken it to the snow, how did it handle?I have used the car in the snow (03 FWD) and it felt almost exactly the same. I did enable snow mode but that was mostly a confidence booster/doesn't let you accelerate as rapidly button. Did you feel confident & did the car feel steady? In the snow the car handles very close to regular driving. Remember to read this article about braking and turning: http://hope.ly/1zxTodn Were there moments you felt like you going to lose control? Yes. I am situated in Dallas and man not a lot of snow but oh man there's ice. I have slid while stopped atop a small hill on ice. I am sure it wasn't the car's fault but crap it was scary. There's nothing like remembering that YOU'RE in control. Remember your limits and the car's limits. You may be an F1 driver but they don't drive in snow and ice.
Well I don't have AWD and I didn't ever feel the need for it really, I will provide proper backup to Hypervish's comment that tires are everything. http://hope.ly/1zwbvBN
Thank you for sharing your experiences, jgoorn.
Old 12-17-14, 09:12 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by DewHawk
Really! Okay, so snow mode is not entirely necessary. Good to know.
Old 12-18-14, 06:15 AM
kalali
Pole Position

We had a couple of rough winters in the past two years and our experience with the RX was OK not great. We have a driveway with roughly 15% grade followed by a left turn into the garage and my wife got stuck twice while slowing down trying to make the turn. I'm sure snow tires would have made all the difference but all in all I think the AWD system used in the RX, and in most FWD-based cars, are not the best out there, unless you have LSD at least on one axle. If you have little experience driving in snow and plan on using the RX in snowy climate, do yourself a favor and invest in a set of snow tires. You'll be happy you did.
Old 12-18-14, 09:46 AM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by kalali
We had a couple of rough winters in the past two years and our experience with the RX was OK not great. We have a driveway with roughly 15% grade followed by a left turn into the garage and my wife got stuck twice while slowing down trying to make the turn. I'm sure snow tires would have made all the difference but all in all I think the AWD system used in the RX, and in most FWD-based cars, are not the best out there, unless you have LSD at least on one axle. If you have little experience driving in snow and plan on using the RX in snowy climate, do yourself a favor and invest in a set of snow tires. You'll be happy you did.
Hello Kalali,

Thanks for you input. It seems the best advice I'm getting is to get some snow tires, which I will look into shortly.

Thanks everyone for your advice & experiences.
Old 12-18-14, 03:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Tires are everything, get some Firestone Winterforce tires. They are better than chains. IMO
Old 12-18-14, 04:34 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by carguy07
Tires are everything, get some Firestone Winterforce tires. They are better than chains. IMO
Thanks carguy07
Old 12-19-14, 09:57 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Bit of clarification on "snow mode"

Snow mode disables low gear, thus limiting torque to the wheel. If your vehicle is not moving and you apply lot of torque to the wheels on ice (snow turned into ice under weight (pressure)), the tires may slip instead of the vehicle being propelled. Engineering solution is to apply less torque.

Once vehicle attains speed the auto trans moves to high gears as normal.

So please do not think that with "snow mode" your vehicle gets added traction while driving. It is only working when you are at stand-still.

Without snow mode, one can establish traction by, keeping a light foot on the pedal and externally by rocking forward/backword motion and then using aids like kitty litter, sand, gravel, twigs, floor-carpet etc.

Salim
Old 12-19-14, 10:22 AM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Bit of clarification on "snow mode"

Snow mode disables low gear, thus limiting torque to the wheel. If your vehicle is not moving and you apply lot of torque to the wheels on ice (snow turned into ice under weight (pressure)), the tires may slip instead of the vehicle being propelled. Engineering solution is to apply less torque.

Once vehicle attains speed the auto trans moves to high gears as normal.

So please do not think that with "snow mode" your vehicle gets added traction while driving. It is only working when you are at stand-still.

Without snow mode, one can establish traction by, keeping a light foot on the pedal and externally by rocking forward/backword motion and then using aids like kitty litter, sand, gravel, twigs, floor-carpet etc.

Salim
Hello Salim,

Thank you for your clear explanation of snow mode. I now have a better understanding of it and how to use it now.

Best regards.