RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HELP!!! rx300 driver step side light

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 01:44 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! rx300 driver step side light

Hello last night when i got back from a party i opend my door and noticed my step light was very dim ***please note i have converted most of my halogen bulbs to white led's*** so i said stupied led might have just crapped out on me. so i went and got my spare package of led bulb's and replaced it and it still was very very dim, like the battery was discharged or something so i tried about 8 diffrent led bulbs and still got the same dim bulb...., so i tried them on my passenger side step light and Bam they all worked. i checked all the fuses took the door panel off to check the wireing, even pulled off the little light housing to inspect it and the prongs looked fine none were bent
.. im stumped here and im at whits end i dont know what happend, all the other lights work fine except this one...
Old 05-15-14, 07:46 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like a possible grounding problem? Check to see if the socket has a ground in the door, or do both wires go back out of the door and into the chassis someplace.
Old 05-15-14, 09:36 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, first thing to do is get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the light socket. Check for carbon build up on the contact points.

According to the wiring diagram, the left side driver courtesy light goes into the door ECU (part of the master switch) inside the door. If I read it correctly, blue/black wire (pin 21) to green/white wire (pin 4). White/black (pin 25) is your ground wire and red/blue (pin 5 or is it blue/black pin 14?) supplies 12V from the battery. The confusion is that there appears to be two blue/black wires exiting from the ECU, one going to the courtesy light in the door and the other going to the battery. They may well be the same wire.

The red/blue wire goes to a 7.5A fuse and the blue/black wire goes to a 20A fuse. I haven't deciphered what the abbreviations are as of yet because the information is all over the place in a 1900+ page manual. And I'm not willing to take my door switch out in the middle of the night to check. I am thinking that the blue/black wire supplying 20A is likely supplying the window regulator and that bulb, but I'm not 100% certain.
Old 05-15-14, 09:59 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmui
Ok, first thing to do is get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the light socket. Check for carbon build up on the contact points.

According to the wiring diagram, the left side driver courtesy light goes into the door ECU (part of the master switch) inside the door. If I read it correctly, blue/black wire (pin 21) to green/white wire (pin 4). White/black (pin 25) is your ground wire and red/blue (pin 5 or is it blue/black pin 14?) supplies 12V from the battery. The confusion is that there appears to be two blue/black wires exiting from the ECU, one going to the courtesy light in the door and the other going to the battery. They may well be the same wire.

The red/blue wire goes to a 7.5A fuse and the blue/black wire goes to a 20A fuse. I haven't deciphered what the abbreviations are as of yet because the information is all over the place in a 1900+ page manual. And I'm not willing to take my door switch out in the middle of the night to check. I am thinking that the blue/black wire supplying 20A is likely supplying the window regulator and that bulb, but I'm not 100% certain.
Thank you so much i will try this first thing tomorrow i appreciate you precious time and effort to write this tread :-) 👍👍👍
Old 05-15-14, 10:03 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Sounds like a possible grounding problem? Check to see if the socket has a ground in the door, or do both wires go back out of the door and into the chassis someplace.
Both wires from that little socket run back through a rubber tube between the door back inside the chassie some place
Old 05-15-14, 10:15 PM
2KHarrier

Time to get the volt meter out and see what the reading is at the connector in the socket. It should be the same as the battery voltage (12.3-12.6 volts or so)
Old 05-15-14, 10:59 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Can't wait to see what the outcome is. One will rather expect the opposite with an LED bulb, they need little juice to burn brightly.
Old 05-16-14, 11:44 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Can't wait to see what the outcome is. One will rather expect the opposite with an LED bulb, they need little juice to burn brightly.
I know thats why i was shocked it wouldn't work im going to go buy a volt meter as soon as i get off of work thanks
Old 05-16-14, 11:48 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Time to get the volt meter out and see what the reading is at the connector in the socket. It should be the same as the battery voltage (12.3-12.6 volts or so)
Its just so strange that one side will work perfecr and the other won't im just a little worried because luke one member said they are controlled by the ecu and i hope something didn't get fried in their..
Old 05-16-14, 02:16 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Default Re: Update

Ok guys i went out just a few minutes ago and took the voltage readings from the 2 actual wires that give power to the little socket and got a good voltage of 12.3 volts any other ideas...i dont know why it still wont power my small led bulb...?
Old 05-16-14, 07:24 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're getting 12 volts, I'd venture to say that the issue lies in the bulb(s). Just want to make sure you check the contact points for carbon or dirt on them. Have you tried putting a regular bulb in to see if it works?

Can you post a picture of the led bulb, with special attention to the contacts? I have a suspicion, but need to see the bulb first.
Old 05-16-14, 07:53 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmui
If you're getting 12 volts, I'd venture to say that the issue lies in the bulb(s). Just want to make sure you check the contact points for carbon or dirt on them. Have you tried putting a regular bulb in to see if it works?

Can you post a picture of the led bulb, with special attention to the contacts? I have a suspicion, but need to see the bulb first.
Sure i got a q-tip with alcohol and cleaned the contact points really good and not a difference also how can i post a pic on here? So i can show you.
Old 05-16-14, 08:16 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Default Fixed it!!!!

Thanks so very much to everyone that helped me on this forum i was going through the wires and used my high end multimeter and found i had a bad gtound wire like one member said its the green wire with a white stripe i just made a cut and added it to a bolt on the door thanks thanks thanks!!! 👍👍😎
Old 05-16-14, 09:11 PM
2KHarrier

And Boom goes the Dynamite....
Old 05-17-14, 12:06 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Default problem

Uggg guys i went out to the ol girl a few seconds ago and noticed the light was still on...by me adding that ground it is now a constant ground and now wont turn off ...so back to square 1....

Quick Reply: HELP!!! rx300 driver step side light