RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

can I change the beep that the RX300 makes when I lock/unlock doors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 04:37 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default can I change the beep that the RX300 makes when I lock/unlock doors?

can I change the beep that the RX300 makes when I lock/unlock doors?

Is it just a simple tiny speakers mounted somewhere under the hood?

At work, my side of the reserved parking lot is almost completely filled with Lexus and Toyota cars/SUVs. Last time I counted, there were about 70 cars and 53 were either Lexus or Toyota.
Imagine the chorus of identical beeps at 5:01PM as we walk into the parking lot. (no, I don't
work at a car dealership )
Old 12-22-13, 06:37 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The only option I know of is to turn it OFF. This must be done at the dealer.
Old 12-22-13, 08:10 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose you could walk around the vehicle pushing the button until you find the speaker. Once you find it, you'd be able to replace it with something else (a backup alarm, etc.). Step one is to find it and see if it is a "stand alone" unit. If so, you'll then need find out what the voltage/amperage it uses then find a replacement that matches.

Maybe you could get one off those "sports team flags" that mount on the side window edge. That would help you spot your car in the lot and then you could remove it while driving.
Old 12-22-13, 10:46 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote for something more creative, like a voice synthesizer that has a female voice saying "ouch".
Old 12-22-13, 10:47 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Please confirm:

There is a secondary horn in the engine bay which is part of the security system. This horn is what sounds when you press and hold the panic button. When you arm/disarm (lock/unlock) a pulse is sent to that horn and you hear beep or double beep.

Horn for alarm etc are constructed to produce a certain frequency and can withstand much harsh environment. Speakers for audio use need controlled environment. Marine speakers can withstand more moisture and some salt but horns are the best for sound transducer when mounted outside of the cabin.

The settings flash/beep etc are called CBest settings. Please search on that term and you will find plenty of information.

There are some simple solutions.
Make changes to the appearance of your vehicle so it stands-out. [This is what I have done]
You can make repeat lock/unlock to make repeated sounds [provided your RX has not gone in to secure mode (no longer accepts remote signals) and you dont mind the additional wear and tear on the locks]

Salim

Salim
Old 12-22-13, 12:26 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please confirm:

There is a secondary horn in the engine bay which is part of the security system. This horn is what sounds when you press and hold the panic button. When you arm/disarm (lock/unlock) a pulse is sent to that horn and you hear beep or double beep.

Horn for alarm etc are constructed to produce a certain frequency and can withstand much harsh environment. Speakers for audio use need controlled environment. Marine speakers can withstand more moisture and some salt but horns are the best for sound transducer when mounted outside of the cabin.

The settings flash/beep etc are called CBest settings. Please search on that term and you will find plenty of information.

There are some simple solutions.
Make changes to the appearance of your vehicle so it stands-out. [This is what I have done]
You can make repeat lock/unlock to make repeated sounds [provided your RX has not gone in to secure mode (no longer accepts remote signals) and you dont mind the additional wear and tear on the locks]

Salim

Salim

In the Lexus parts catalog, it lists this door lock/unlock buzzer as $82. Looks about the size of a
half dollar. There are only two wires going into the connector. I assume it's possible to find
a chime or buzzer from Radio Shack so it can produce a different sound?
Old 12-22-13, 12:55 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by titangummy
In the Lexus parts catalog, it lists this door lock/unlock buzzer as $82. Looks about the size of a
half dollar. There are only two wires going into the connector. I assume it's possible to find
a chime or buzzer from Radio Shack so it can produce a different sound?
I think it is a different buzzer ... the one you a mentioning is the buzzer near the steering column, for making chimes for the benefit of the driver/occupants. That is not the one I am talking about ... the one I was talking about is the one you hear in a parking lot and sounds more like siren going off but is cut-off as soon as it starts. The horn I mentioned is in the engine bay, on the passenger side at glove compartment level. This is the one I suggested to confirm.

I may have misunderstood your post completely and it could be that you want a different chime inside the cabin.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-22-13 at 04:59 PM. Reason: location of the alarm horn
Old 12-23-13, 04:45 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think it is a different buzzer ... the one you a mentioning is the buzzer near the steering column, for making chimes for the benefit of the driver/occupants. That is not the one I am talking about ... the one I was talking about is the one you hear in a parking lot and sounds more like siren going off but is cut-off as soon as it starts. The horn I mentioned is in the engine bay, on the passenger side at glove compartment level. This is the one I suggested to confirm.

I may have misunderstood your post completely and it could be that you want a different chime inside the cabin.

Salim

I picked up a $7 buzzer from Radio Shack. Took me a while to find the buzzer on my RX300. I
kept pressing the remote key to lock and unlock until I found it. I unplugged it and hooked up the
Radio Shack buzzer. It sounded like a chicken being grabbed by Col. Sanders. Unfortunately,
I had to take it out. The sound was okay, but the volume was WAY too high. When I pressed
the remote to unlock the RX300, it made my neighbor come out to see what the heck I was doing.
Old 12-25-13, 11:16 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

When I pressed
the remote to unlock the RX300, it made my neighbor come out to see what the heck I was doing.
That's the funniest thing I've read today.
Old 01-22-14, 02:14 AM
MikeS99rx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a $7 buzzer from Radio Shack. Took me a while to find the buzzer on my RX300. I
kept pressing the remote key to lock and unlock until I found it. I unplugged it and hooked up the
Radio Shack buzzer. It sounded like a chicken being grabbed by Col. Sanders. Unfortunately,
I had to take it out. The sound was okay, but the volume was WAY too high. When I pressed
So where was the buzzer located? Mine doesn't work at all, so can't listen for it.