RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Finally having the seats redone

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 12:32 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
Here we go guys! Sorry it took so long, I have been slammed with finals and work. But here is the job they did. Overall, I am happy. They were able to replicate the double stitching, but not so much the gathered look, which honesty doesn't bother me. There is a little bit more padding in the new covering, which makes it comfier. Color match is just about perfect. I had them match to the back seats. The armrests are off due to the dye job I had done with the old seats. I forgot to tell them to recover the armrests too. But he said I could bring them in and he would dye them to match, free no problem. So I'm doing that next week.

Color match to the plastic...

Double Stitching...

Excuse the dirt off to the left side there...

Color match to the back seats. You can't really tell with the camera, but they are just about a perfect match to the back.

They will still tighten up a little bit. I am leaving them in the sun and will eventually put a treatment on them when I detail the car up.
Nice job done. Looks very good.
Old 01-06-13, 07:06 AM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does look really nice. Just curious if you had thought about the airbags in the front seats back cushions. Lexus does not recommend recovering of the front seats because of that. I suppose recovering the bottom cushions is OK, since there are no airbags in them. But, I'm not sure what steps you'd have to take to make sure that the side airbags in the back cushions can still deploy with the new covers without any interference.

-Kauz
Old 01-06-13, 08:44 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauz
That does look really nice. Just curious if you had thought about the airbags in the front seats back cushions. Lexus does not recommend recovering of the front seats because of that. I suppose recovering the bottom cushions is OK, since there are no airbags in them. But, I'm not sure what steps you'd have to take to make sure that the side airbags in the back cushions can still deploy with the new covers without any interference.

-Kauz
I had one shop send me away because of it. I found this shop and since the owner has the same vehicle and has done some before mine, he said he has had no issues with airbags. His wife actually rear ended someone in their RX and the bags went off with no issues. So I feel confident that everything will be OK if anything were to happen.
Old 01-06-13, 09:24 AM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99rx,

I hear what you're saying. I was referring to the side airbags in the back cushions of the front seats. I think you'd have to get hit on the side for those airbags to go off. With a front collision, I think that only the airbags in the steering wheel or the dash on the passenger side would deploy.

-Kauz
Old 01-06-13, 10:43 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauz
99rx,

I hear what you're saying. I was referring to the side airbags in the back cushions of the front seats. I think you'd have to get hit on the side for those airbags to go off. With a front collision, I think that only the airbags in the steering wheel or the dash on the passenger side would deploy.

-Kauz
He told me the side airbags in the seats went off. It was so bad, he said they totaled the car. He liked the RX so much, he bought another one a year newer.