RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear wheel camber

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 12:17 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
I bought a '74 TR6 brand new. I had to replace rear tires every 5k due to neg camber. They were pretty expensive - 15" Goodyear Redlines. They had a double wishbone rear suspension and the only way to correct it was to cut slots in the frame which I did not want to do. I loved that car but it was a maintenance nightmare.
Art, You must have missed the part when the salesman tried to sell you 2. With British cars it was always standard to buy 2 whenever you bought a new one. Not even sure what a TR6 is (Triumph?) but it sounds British. So that you have one to drive while the other was in the shop. Sounds like whoever the design engineers were they were missing a digit or 2 on the IQ scale.
Old 09-04-12, 03:08 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Art, You must have missed the part when the salesman tried to sell you 2. With British cars it was always standard to buy 2 whenever you bought a new one. Not even sure what a TR6 is (Triumph?) but it sounds British. So that you have one to drive while the other was in the shop. Sounds like whoever the design engineers were they were missing a digit or 2 on the IQ scale.
Yep, British. The 74 was the last model with the classic design. The TR7's were hideous looking. Valves had to be adjusted at least once per month. Lucas electrical system was a nightmare. I could write a book about that cream puff but it sure was fun to drive!
Old 09-04-12, 06:19 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Art, you should stock up on this:

Old 09-05-12, 01:30 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
Yep, British. The 74 was the last model with the classic design. The TR7's were hideous looking. Valves had to be adjusted at least once per month. Lucas electrical system was a nightmare. I could write a book about that cream puff but it sure was fun to drive!
Makes you wonder how the British ever stayed in the auto manufacturing industry doesn't it? I've worked on a few, many many years ago, and as my older brother would say " those boys eyes are too close together". As Kelly B said, you need a good stock of what he was offering. Course, I don't believe that's near all you'd need.
Old 09-09-12, 03:05 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

code58, you'd be best served by having a keg of your favourite brew nearby, as well as at least a litre single malt.

Even then, it'll just delay the pain.
Old 09-10-12, 12:37 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Oh the pain, the pain! Plenty of it if you were a British car mechanic. And I'm betting that part # 530433 was one of their best sellers. Problem is, when it escapes, it's really hard to get the replacement installed. Oh well, makes you feel a little better just having a supply on hand even if the install will be an exercise in futility because it will soon leak out again, there or somewhere else.
Old 09-10-12, 08:14 AM
jolomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 1967, I bought a new MGB. In the 8 months I owned the MGB the paint faded, the leather seats became hard, the radio quit, the tachometer quit twice, and finally the parking light wiring burned-up making a molten mess of the wiring harnesses. At that point, the MGB was out of warranty, so I rewired the MGB myself. After I repaired the MGB, I promptly traded it in for a new Mustang and swore never to own a British vehicle again!!

As I posted in the beginning, I now own a 2001 RX300 with a possible rear tire camber problem. I have read all posts, but still do not know if I have a problem or not. I appreciate all the comments, but I am still confused. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Thank you, John
Old 09-11-12, 01:57 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jolomo
As I posted in the beginning, I now own a 2001 RX300 with a possible rear tire camber problem. I have read all posts, but still do not know if I have a problem or not. I appreciate all the comments, but I am still confused. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Thank you, John
Sorry John, though I thought we kinda answered your question I quess we got sorta sidetracked on the lovely UK cars.
Answer is, your camber should be equal on both sides and I feel their "in specs" for the rear camber is way too liberal. You said L side is -.2 degrees and I feel the right should be the same thing. There is something wrong with any alignment shop that would let a vehicle go with the specs you have and not say "there's something wrong" just because they both were in specs. That's nonsense. I wish you were in this area, I would check it out to see what has caused this condition, with no accident or damage history. You need to check the upper rubber mount for the strut to make sure it's not shot and causing it. There's just something not right with this picture. IF there has truly never been any kind of damage (maybe when your daughter owned it) then this is highly unusual. I told you I'd take a look in the shop manual and see if what I would suggest is possible on the rear but I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger. I will try and do that tomorrow evening since my wife will be gone for a while.