RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fluttering and hovering smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 09:22 AM
Femel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluttering and hovering smells like gas

Any insights welcome!
When I accelerate the car makes a loud pronounced fluttering sound and hovers (as in won't accelerate). The car smells like gas and my gas mileage is 217 kms to the tank (before this last fill up it was 455kms to the tank. My friend who works on the car can't find anything wrong with it. It has an error code of 1130 (the A/F sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1) but this seems a little extreme, there must be something else going on. It doesn't heat up and albeit is a slow ride, doesn't stall (but if you asked it, it wants to)

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-11, 10:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Having trouble understanding about the no acceleration.

What this sounds to me like is an exhaust leak somewhere and/or hesitation.

That particular sensor is behind the engine block and is the more likely of the two to fail first. The longer you let that sensor go, the worse the gas mileage will get.
Old 06-08-11, 11:23 AM
Femel
Driver School Candidate

My friend who works on the car says he has never seen anything like it, it is extreme! He has had 3 lexuses of different ilks and services most of the neighbourhood cars.

If you are from a stopped position you can only go 2-5kms per hour speed and it takes you about 3 or 4 minutes to get up to a cruising speed of 40 kms/hr. Really loud fluttering all the way. If you disconnect the battery for a while, it starts like a normal car and about 20km into the trip it starts gradually until it is back to where it was, which is how I got it to the friends place from my place. The smell of gas is pronounced as if the excess fuel is not being burnt off if there is an afterburner type thing on this car. I am old, and I know they don't do that anymore, but my car isn't exactly new, but until this week it was in great shape.

Thanks
Old 06-08-11, 01:39 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this post was about my mother in law...

badabing! I'm here all week folks!
Old 06-09-11, 05:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Femel
My friend who works on the car says he has never seen anything like it, it is extreme! He has had 3 lexuses of different ilks and services most of the neighbourhood cars.

If you are from a stopped position you can only go 2-5kms per hour speed and it takes you about 3 or 4 minutes to get up to a cruising speed of 40 kms/hr. Really loud fluttering all the way. If you disconnect the battery for a while, it starts like a normal car and about 20km into the trip it starts gradually until it is back to where it was, which is how I got it to the friends place from my place. The smell of gas is pronounced as if the excess fuel is not being burnt off if there is an afterburner type thing on this car. I am old, and I know they don't do that anymore, but my car isn't exactly new, but until this week it was in great shape.

Thanks
That error code is not extreme. If that check engine light is lit up still (despite disconnecting the battery)...then chances are high that A/F sensor is gone and needs replacing. A dead sensor will go into what I like to call a default mode and its effects will be felt in the drivability of the vehicle (I have been down this path in Mexico, but this was due to poor fuel causing temporary A/F sensor issues). However, with the quality fuel we have in the rest of North America, it can't be fuel here. I would get that sensor replaced.
Old 06-09-11, 11:45 AM
jasonodsky
Driver School Candidate

The error codes are there for a reason and in this case are telling you what is wrong. When you disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, the onboard computer resets. It runs on a default setting and starts collecting info from all the sensors. That is why it works fine for 20km after the battery disconnect. It is running on default and ignoring the sensors until it "learns" them and the feedback it is getting. Because the sensor is bad, it throws an error and attempts to run the rest of the motor in "compensation mode" to make up for not knowing what that sensor is doing.

Replace the sensor and if the issue persists, then continue to diagonse and worry. It will likely be gone and fixed. Be sure to reset the computer once the sensor is replaced.
Old 06-20-11, 09:50 AM
Femel
Driver School Candidate

In the end it was something called coils. apparently I only have one working one and I need three. We are fixing that and then see if the fluttering disappears, but it should stop the hovering and gas smell.