RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Looking for a 2000 RX 300 Key Deal (Master Remote x2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 07:39 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 2000 RX 300 Key Deal (Master Remote x2)

Greetings all!

Been a long time since I posted but I'm back and in search of the best deal on authentic Lexus master remote keys for my 2000 RX 300. The remote on my primary key seems to have just given up the ghost (new battery didn't fix it) and the other hasn't worked since I bought the car 5 years ago (previous owner ran it through the wash).

The dealer closest to me wants to charge me $210 per key (without programming) which seems beyond ridiculous.

Is there a good source to get authentic Lexus keys at a better price than this? Searching the web brings up lots of discount keys, but the majority are sooo cheap that I have to think they are Chinese knock offs which I want to avoid.

I've already found programming instructions so I'm quite confident that I can get that aspect handled once they keys get here.

Very much appreciate any assistance/input.

Old 05-03-11, 07:59 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can sometimes find originals on eBay for a few bucks. I had good luck with knock off keys, two of them lasted 5 years and were still working when the car was totaled. When I bought eBay spares for my 330 the dealer cut and programmed them for 14 bucks apiece. YMMV.

If you are concerned about reliability, get two and keep a spare.
Old 05-03-11, 08:30 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Well, the plot thickens...

When I bought the car in 2006 one of the master remotes was dead. The previous owner apparently ran it through the wash. The other master seems to have given up the ghost a while back (new battery didn't fix it anyway). Calling around to a few dealers (out of state) I was just told that if neither of the master remotes is working I get to spring for a new computer. According to the Oregon dealer, Lexus will foot the bill for 1 computer (life of the vehicle), but it was going to be about $600 to install it and then I still get to buy new keys.

Thinking about it, the new computer would HAVE to come with keys wouldn't it? If it doesn't come with keys and you have to order them seperately, how is it that you can't tie new remotes to an existing computer without an already working remote?

I have no problem paying a reasonable price for parts and service, but a lot of this sounds like a crock of #%*^. One dealer told me it would be $60 to program 1 key.
Old 05-03-11, 08:46 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrax
Well, the plot thickens...

When I bought the car in 2006 one of the master remotes was dead. The previous owner apparently ran it through the wash. The other master seems to have given up the ghost a while back (new battery didn't fix it anyway). Calling around to a few dealers (out of state) I was just told that if neither of the master remotes is working I get to spring for a new computer. According to the Oregon dealer, Lexus will foot the bill for 1 computer (life of the vehicle), but it was going to be about $600 to install it and then I still get to buy new keys.

Thinking about it, the new computer would HAVE to come with keys wouldn't it? If it doesn't come with keys and you have to order them seperately, how is it that you can't tie new remotes to an existing computer without an already working remote?

I have no problem paying a reasonable price for parts and service, but a lot of this sounds like a crock of #%*^. One dealer told me it would be $60 to program 1 key.
No the new computer doesn't come with new keys. It's the main ECU (engine control unit) that gets replaced. On older models, the only way a dealer can program a key is if you have an existing master key. Lexus provides us with no other way besides replacing the computer. Lexus will provide the computer ONE time for a particular car. And we require (at least our dealership) that you buy 2 keys and you have to pay labor. Lexus only provides the computer, that's it. Usually by the time you pay for keys and labor, it's cheaper to find a locksmith that has the equipment to "flash" your old computer. The one around here charges $350. Lexus does not provide this type of equipment so therefore we don't use it. We only use Lexus approved methods.
Old 05-03-11, 09:00 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Owners have reported repairing non functioning masters by opening and cleaning the contacts between the button and the electronics. You have little to lose at this point by performing "surgery'.

If you aren't comfortable with electronics find a repair shop.
Old 05-03-11, 11:42 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Take your primary key to a dealer and get them to test for a signal. The immobilizer is a separate circuit in the key than the door lock/unlock buttons. They may be able to program a key off of that key. And, are you sure the battery is in correctly?
Old 05-03-11, 02:13 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a newbie, but this forum has helped me immensely already. Time to give back. I just bought a 2001 RX300 and it came with the flat key card with the embedded transponser and one remote key. I wanted to get another functional key made just in case one got lost. I used a gentleman named Edward Streski at www.sparekeys.com (1-800-350-4199) and he made me a non-remote and a remote key, both for $190 including cutting the keys to my key code and shipping. The programming was easy on my end and his customer service was excellent. Highly recommended.
Old 05-03-11, 02:37 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Unhappy

I was a little quick on my response. Do you have a master key i.e. a key with a functioning transponder. This can either be a remote key or the flat key with the built in transponder. To tell if your key is a "master" key, place it in the ignition and the security light should go out immediately. If you have a master key, all is good. Both the transponder and the remote key functions can be programmed by your vehicle's computer. If not, you will need to go the expensive route
Old 05-03-11, 05:33 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Do either of your master keys start the vehicle? If so, you should be able to program a replacement to start the car.
Old 05-04-11, 09:23 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

I have two master keys (3 button remote) and a valet key that all start the car. I am trying to get to a point where I have two keys with working remotes (lock/unlock/panic). Took them all down to a locksmith and we managed to get one of them working.

May have to try to crack open the non working remote and clean it out to see if that helps. Sure appreciate the assistance, thanks all. Any additional suggestions on getting an actual lexus key w/remote for WAY less than the $225 - $250 (before programming) the dealers want is always welcome.
Old 05-04-11, 09:26 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
I am a newbie, but this forum has helped me immensely already. Time to give back. I just bought a 2001 RX300 and it came with the flat key card with the embedded transponser and one remote key. I wanted to get another functional key made just in case one got lost. I used a gentleman named Edward Streski at www.sparekeys.com (1-800-350-4199) and he made me a non-remote and a remote key, both for $190 including cutting the keys to my key code and shipping. The programming was easy on my end and his customer service was excellent. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the info, went to the website and it appears to be based in the UK and provide a service of key storage for people who are prone to locking themselves out of their cars. Is this the same site that you used previously? Wondering if it may have changed owners/locations since you used them. I am in the US.
Old 05-04-11, 09:40 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Andrax: Try this link www.sparecarkeys.com. That should get you there. They are located in West Virginia. I checked my bill and it was $188.00. For that I got a new remote control Lexus key, a new non-remote Lexus key, both keys cut from the key code, and shipping. The keys work perfectly and the programming is performed by the on-board computer. All you need is a functioning master which is what it sounds like you have. They will cut you a key from the master, but you have to send it to them and it is more $$. They will also send you the uncut keys and you can have them cut locally. Excellent customer service. Good luck.

Scott
Old 05-05-11, 07:37 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
Andrax: Try this link www.sparecarkeys.com. That should get you there. They are located in West Virginia. I checked my bill and it was $188.00. For that I got a new remote control Lexus key, a new non-remote Lexus key, both keys cut from the key code, and shipping. The keys work perfectly and the programming is performed by the on-board computer. All you need is a functioning master which is what it sounds like you have. They will cut you a key from the master, but you have to send it to them and it is more $$. They will also send you the uncut keys and you can have them cut locally. Excellent customer service. Good luck.

Scott
Scott, you are a lifesaver man! Thank you so much for that link! Got my key ordered yesterday afternoon, late last night I got shipping notification. Total out the door price for a key with remote, cut and shipped was about $145. Sent my father in law the link as well and I think he's going to order a few keys.

Definitely the best deal I could find. Thanks again!!! Have a great weekend.

Ben
Old 05-06-11, 08:51 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

No problem Ben. As I said, these forums are terrific support of every RX300 owner and I am happy to give back. I was very impressed by this key company. Their communication and customer service were excellent. I had a little snafu with our order in that the USPS trashed the first mailer and it arrived repackaged with a "Sorry, we value your business..." note and no keys. Mr. Streski said he was sorry and got another set out to me that day no questions asked. Pretty impressive.

Good luck with your Lexus.

Scott
Old 05-07-11, 03:44 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

That was lightning fast. Got my key today, programmed it via the included instructions and it works just fine! Only issue (not really an issue) is that the gold lexus logo isn't on the back of the master key. But, to save $100+ over the dealership cost of a replacement key, I guess I can live with it.