RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cleaned car, took pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 11:51 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cleaned car, took pictures.

And some of you asked for my exhaust clip, so I took one of me revving to 3.5K in short revs, and the other a cold start from this morning but I'll do more when I get my friend to shoot the car in some free time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFiC8L0Tir0

and..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyOg1ZzxYdU
Old 01-04-11, 12:29 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You've done a great job on your RX. I see you have drilled rotors, do I see a slot in there as well? How is brake pad wear? My drilled Brembos still have 8mm all around after over 20k miles.

The new wheels are great, you know with your colors, some red calipers would really set your rig off. People actually stop me in parking lots to comment on my yellow ones!

Old 01-04-11, 12:35 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

I do like your calipers as they're a nice compliment to the chrome and bright colors going for your RX, I'm going to paint mine as well but I'm not sure what color.

The pad wear I can't really comment on because it's been about 5K miles for my pads+rotors, but one thing I noticed is that they're a little noisy compared to blanks or drilled. Someone told me that's what slotted rotors will do, however they stop fine and I really just got them for the look.
Old 01-04-11, 12:59 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Actually, the first yellow calipers I saw were on a metallic gray Porsche similar to your car. I found out later yellow calipers on a Porsche mean ceramic ROTORS, like 30K to replace. Hey, I have ceramic pads!
Old 01-04-11, 01:03 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

tcheung87, great audio clips, the exhaust sounds good. Do you buy just a muffler?....or did you replace the resonator as well??

Also, what Magnaflow part number/model number(s) did you purchase?
Old 01-04-11, 01:34 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
Actually, the first yellow calipers I saw were on a metallic gray Porsche similar to your car. I found out later yellow calipers on a Porsche mean ceramic ROTORS, like 30K to replace. Hey, I have ceramic pads!
Yeah, it's for their Carbon Ceramic brake discs, looks pretty awesome I'd admit.

Originally Posted by defo
tcheung87, great audio clips, the exhaust sounds good. Do you buy just a muffler?....or did you replace the resonator as well??

Also, what Magnaflow part number/model number(s) did you purchase?
It's a Magnaflow 14829, I just bought the muffler and initially I had it painted matte black and then a muffler shop welded it for me, but since then I had a few chips in the paint so I just sanded it.
Old 01-06-11, 01:11 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

By the way Carver where did you purchase your rotors?
Old 01-06-11, 02:00 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't paint your calipers yellow or red it is not a race car or competition 4x4 not in any league. Most things colored are to represent brands: blue shocks represent koni, red, yellow brakes are brembo. Don't make the car look like it is obviously modified but subtle keep them blending. If you must highlight them make them silver. It is just my opinion so not starting anything just saying why as you have a classy ride. I am not saying it makes them look cheap as i know the parts cost the money it just makes them look like a comp 4x4 when it should look just look bling with those wheels.
Old 01-06-11, 08:48 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tcheung87
By the way Carver where did you purchase your rotors?
It was one of the online suppliers, it's been so long (4 years) I don't remember! I just did a search and there are plenty of Brembo rotors for the 300 but I couldn't find any already drilled. Looking back, I'm pretty sure the vendor drilled the Brembo blanks in house.

I would think any of the big brake houses can do that work for you, its pretty common.

BTW, I have never seen a forum as judgmental as this one. Taste is entirely subjective yet people here don't hesitate to attempt to impose *their* taste on someone else! I think it has to do with the number of very young people here who simply don't know any better yet.

As any adult will tell you, paint your calipers any color you please. If anyone is crass enough to tell you it sucks they have self identified as someone you wouldn't want to listen to anyway.
Old 01-06-11, 09:45 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Its all good, it doesn't matter what color I paint them it doesn't affect anyone else, plus modifying cars for aesthetic purposes isn't a competition, you do it because it makes you happy. Haters goin hate.
Old 01-07-11, 03:31 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like those wheels, thinking of going that route soon becuase my stocks are starting to peel.
Old 01-08-11, 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tcheung87
Its all good, it doesn't matter what color I paint them it doesn't affect anyone else, plus modifying cars for aesthetic purposes isn't a competition, you do it because it makes you happy. Haters goin hate.
I want to see rainbow calipers on everyone's vehicle.

Paint them whatever color you want. When I was in Jamaica, I saw Toyota Harriers with a variety of different colors on their calipers...ran every color of the spectrum. Very well done.
Old 01-08-11, 11:08 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus F-Sport blue (IS F) would look good ......found a couple web pics
Attached Thumbnails Cleaned car, took pictures.-image_cd_gallery.jpg   Cleaned car, took pictures.-f-sport-blue.jpg