RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 valet key -car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 05:00 AM
degeja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 valet key -car won't start

200o RX300 with my valet key, the starter turns but the car won;t start.

Is there a battery like in the remotes??

or what?
Old 04-10-09, 07:31 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The valet key (with plastic shell) should perform all functions except operate the glove-box lock. I dont use it but form memory it has a gray shell instead of black. It should have a battery and it is "chipped". The chip id is matched by the on-board computer and it will allow the engine to catch. Try changing the battery and see. If it is not an original key, then the on-board computer needs to be programmed to accept the un-registered key, but you will need master key to initiate the programming. Use search if you want to do it yourself and look for "key programming".

If by chance you are talking about the wallet key, flat key with no plastic shell [that came in a credit card look alike], the '99 model did not have a chip id. So the only good it would do is get you in the RX. Some where down the road, Lexus supplied the wallet key with a magnetic chip id, which you hold close to the ignition key slot.

With a wrong chip, and the right personalization (grooves in the key), you will be able to operate the locks. With a right remote programming, you will be able to lock-unlock, operate the panic alarm. By inserting in the ignition key, you will be able to make the starter operate, but the engine will not catch and run.

Salim
Old 04-10-09, 07:42 AM
degeja
Driver School Candidate

Default Valet key

Its the grey key not the wallet plastic key --
called dealer to see cost for him to change the battery and he says there is no battery.

wants $125 to register the key.
Old 04-10-09, 07:46 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just looked and there is no way to open the valet key.

I'd try a call to the Lexus 800-telephone number and ask them.
Old 04-10-09, 07:48 AM
bob2200
Driver

Registering the key yourself is easy. If you search this forum, you will find detailed instructions. You will need a working master key.
Old 04-10-09, 08:34 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by degeja
Its the grey key not the wallet plastic key --
called dealer to see cost for him to change the battery and he says there is no battery.

wants $125 to register the key.
Can you give us a history of how and when you got the valet key? And or even what has been going on with master-key. There is a limited number of keys that can be registered.

Salim
Old 04-10-09, 09:23 AM
degeja
Driver School Candidate

Default Valet key

Thanks.
The valet key came with the car when I bought it used.

Tonight, I'll try programming using the instructions elsewhere on this forum.

Since one if my masters has a broken case, I'll order a new case(with key) and hve it cut so I can move my existing master electronics to it.

Was trying to use the valet in the interim.
Old 04-10-09, 10:17 AM
salimshah

This is new learning for me ..
Just for grins, can you unhook the valet key from the key ring and make sure no other object is near the ignition-slot when you test the valet key [just in case some thing is near and causing interference]

I always thought the electronic id was transmitted by the key, from the electronics in there. This circuit would draw power from the battery.

Form the description here [no battery in the valet key] would indicate a "magnetic sender" instead of electro-magnetic one. If it is magnetic, then the only way to loose the registration would be if a strong magnet was placed next to it. This thing has me confused . May be some one can explain it. It could be that a unique magnet is molded in the master key electronics and it does not draw power.

I think, [not sure] that the ecu can register about 9 keys and beyond that it needs to be reflashed or replaced. If you are no where near the number, go ahead and try to re-register it. If you are close then wait till your re-cut master gets registered first.
Old 04-10-09, 11:17 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
From the description here [no battery in the valet key] would indicate a "magnetic sender" instead of electro-magnetic one.
I'm looking at page BE-226 of a CD-ROM manual I have. There is a "transponder key amplifier" behind the ignition key area and a "transponder key coil" wound around the ignition key unit, right in the plastic cover around the ignition lock (i.e., no power-source residing in the key). This section of the manual also describes how to register new keys.

I couldn't see a description of what happens when you exceed the permissible number of keys, but I seem to recall from programming a neighbor's a few years ago, that the newest keys enter and the oldest are discarded, rather than just not accepting any more.
Old 04-11-09, 03:04 AM
degeja
Driver School Candidate

Thanks; I used the forum guidance to register the key--now works fine.
I did the prgramming as a subkey(valet) rather than a master key to try to avoid the possibility of wiping out a previous master.
Old 04-11-09, 05:32 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is new learning for me ..
Just for grins, can you unhook the valet key from the key ring and make sure no other object is near the ignition-slot when you test the valet key [just in case some thing is near and causing interference]

I always thought the electronic id was transmitted by the key, from the electronics in there. This circuit would draw power from the battery.

Form the description here [no battery in the valet key] would indicate a "magnetic sender" instead of electro-magnetic one. If it is magnetic, then the only way to loose the registration would be if a strong magnet was placed next to it. This thing has me confused . May be some one can explain it. It could be that a unique magnet is molded in the master key electronics and it does not draw power.

I think, [not sure] that the ecu can register about 9 keys and beyond that it needs to be reflashed or replaced. If you are no where near the number, go ahead and try to re-register it. If you are close then wait till your re-cut master gets registered first.
If your battery goes dead in your master key, the remote buttons will no longer work but you car will still start. The battery just powers the remote functions. The valet key has no battery. Most chipped keys used in vehicles with engine immobilizer don't have a battery.
Old 04-11-09, 06:27 PM
salimshah

So the magnet is embedded in the electronic middle. That would then move from one key to another once the electronics moves.

Thanks

Salim