RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 09:58 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?

what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?
(in liters or gallons)

I looked in both the owner's manual and the repair manuals,
but didn't find this info.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-09, 05:35 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The capacity of the fluid reservoir I find is usually not in the manuals. I guess it's a fill as much as you can thing and when you feel like it.

Totally empty, I've put in one gallon and it's still not fully to the top, so it's over one gallon. I would say 1.25 gallons perhaps. Maybe someone here can give the precise number.
Old 02-27-09, 06:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Last fall I completely emptied the reservoir on our RX 330 and stopped at an auto parts store for a jug of washer fluid. In the parking lot I popped the cap on the reservoir and started to pour. The way the 2Gen RX is arranged underhood you can't see the reservoir itself, so I had no idea of my progress.

Now, back in the 1950's I helped my Dad install windshield washers on several cars (they were not even a factory option originally, but an aftermarket accessory). The washer consisted of a metal basket that held the fluid reservoir, and a cap that incorporated a vacuum driven pump that delivered water to two sprayers fit in holes drilled in the cowl. The reservoir? Well it was a 1-qt Mason jar that you screwed the pump assembly into. Considering the relatively small windshields then, and the need to open the hood with every fuel stop (plus a usual weekend inspection), 1-qt was perfectly adequate. Even my '67 Mustang had a vinyl bag reservoir hung from an inner fender that couldn't hold much more than a pint. At least it didn't break if it froze.

I figured the capacity on the RX was probably about a half gallon, about that of my previous Suburbans - but when I had poured out half of the gallon jug, I still couldn't see any fluid while looking down the filler neck. I poured another pint and stopped, looking under the car for an overflow puddle. There was none. I went on, alternately pouring and looking under the car until the entire gallon jug had disappeared down the filler neck. When all was consumed I discovered the fluid level was finally visible in the filler - about where I would have stopped filling anyway.

At least on the 2Gen RX the capacity is right at one gallon.
Old 02-27-09, 09:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I left this one back in Mexico, since I took it out to enable better transmission fluid cooler cooling.
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_3065.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 09:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Side view of the reservoir
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_3070.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 09:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

See the box at the right for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_3064.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 09:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another side shot
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_3068.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 09:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I also looked through my manuals and nothing, but I'd guess that it is about the size of a car battery or so, maybe just a tad bigger.
Old 02-27-09, 09:33 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I left this one back in Mexico, since I took it out to enable better transmission fluid cooler cooling.

Lexmex,

THANKS for the pictures...

so you don't have washer fluid anymore?
Old 02-27-09, 12:02 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Last fall I completely emptied the reservoir on our RX 330 and stopped at an auto parts store for a jug of washer fluid. In the parking lot I popped the cap on the reservoir and started to pour. The way the 2Gen RX is arranged underhood you can't see the reservoir itself, so I had no idea of my progress.

Now, back in the 1950's I helped my Dad install windshield washers on several cars (they were not even a factory option originally, but an aftermarket accessory). The washer consisted of a metal basket that held the fluid reservoir, and a cap that incorporated a vacuum driven pump that delivered water to two sprayers fit in holes drilled in the cowl. The reservoir? Well it was a 1-qt Mason jar that you screwed the pump assembly into. Considering the relatively small windshields then, and the need to open the hood with every fuel stop (plus a usual weekend inspection), 1-qt was perfectly adequate. Even my '67 Mustang had a vinyl bag reservoir hung from an inner fender that couldn't hold much more than a pint. At least it didn't break if it froze.

I figured the capacity on the RX was probably about a half gallon, about that of my previous Suburbans - but when I had poured out half of the gallon jug, I still couldn't see any fluid while looking down the filler neck. I poured another pint and stopped, looking under the car for an overflow puddle. There was none. I went on, alternately pouring and looking under the car until the entire gallon jug had disappeared down the filler neck. When all was consumed I discovered the fluid level was finally visible in the filler - about where I would have stopped filling anyway.

At least on the 2Gen RX the capacity is right at one gallon.
probably a larger capacity due to servicing the rear glass as well.
Old 02-27-09, 12:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
Lexmex,

THANKS for the pictures...

so you don't have washer fluid anymore?
No, I removed it. The complete shots of this reservoir I took in this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-washer.html

Look below and you can see the reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_2202.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 12:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You notice the transmission fluid cooler behind it.

Well here is the same shot but with the reservoir removed.
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_2297.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 12:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now here is the cooler in a cut away view. The reservoir used to sit in front of it and by estimate covered 75%+ of the tranny fluid cooler. I don't think that the water stays cool enough even with the air flow (since it is in a plastic reservoir) to be able to help cool down the cooler, but now with the reservoir removed the cooler has full access to the air that flows through. In later generations of the RX (after the RX300) the cooler was placed on the driver's side in front of the transmission itself (better idea).
Attached Thumbnails what is the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir?-img_2289.jpg  
Old 02-27-09, 07:15 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear wipers

Originally Posted by lexus114
probably a larger capacity due to servicing the rear glass as well.
That's true, forgot about the rear wipers too. The same reservoir must feed the back because I've never filled anything back there. The 1984 Plymouth Voyager that my family had had a reservoir in the back, behind the brake lights somewhere, that you need to fill up from. It was separate from the front windshield reservoir.

Hey, whatever capacity, just keep on filling till it hits the top and if it never does, look below for a nice clear blue river flowing somewhere...
Old 02-27-09, 08:31 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have me thinking now, I'm really curious to find out the size too. I have never emptied mine.