Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Where to get below freezing windshield washer fluid in CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 10:02 PM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get below freezing windshield washer fluid in CA

I just moved to CA from NY, and apparently, you cannot get below freezing windshield washer fluid here. It doesn't get below freezing here often, but I plan to go to Tahoe and would rather have the one that doesn't freeze on me. I heard that they don't distribute it in CA because of environmental issues. Is there anywhere to get it here or do I have to find it in NV next time I'm up in Tahoe?
Old 01-02-09, 11:11 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I lived in Minnesota for 12 years and I don't recall that there was a difference. While here in Texas we mix it with water, the advice I got there and without an issue was to NOT dilute the washer fluid. I did this with the 7 vehilces I drove and never had a problem. I would just pour in the fluid full strength and it wasn't a concern for us in any of our vehicles.
Old 01-02-09, 06:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never had to deal with that, and until this thread, I never really thought much about it...

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_bluewash.html
Old 01-02-09, 07:20 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They have it in Tahoe albeit expensive.

There's a few solutions for this:
1. Go to your local Honda/GM/Ford/VW/Audi dealer or parts house and see if they still have methanol-based washer fluid concentrate, parts houses carry it as well and much cheaper - you'll need at least 2-3 bottles of the stuff.
2. Visit the paint aisle of the local Lowe's or Home Depot and get a quart of denatured alcohol, since it is ethanol with methanol added.

I would mix in no more than a quart into your system, since alcohol is pretty bad for your paint. IMO, about 16-22 ounces should be able to provide sufficient protection in Tahoe.
Old 01-05-09, 05:41 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try these - they list CA stores that have their products.
http://www.prestone.com/products/win...sherFluids.php

or this, which is what I use (the purple stuff, works great!): http://www.peakantifreeze.com/wash_new.html

BMW also has a concentrate that you can use to mix your own depending on what freeze protection you need. Just go to a BMW dealer to get it. I have used it for my wifes car (X5).

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-09, 01:20 PM
schan1w
Driver

Thanks for all the replies. I was at my local Toyota dealer to pick up some red long life coolant, and saw they also have a Toyota bottled concentrated windshield washer fluid for $5.99. It comes in a 32oz bottle. It gives you a table of how much to mix to get a particular freezing point. I used half gallon (64 oz) of water and 32oz of the concentrate to get it to -9 degree F. FYI, in almost all counties of California, this stuff is a regulated VOC (volatile organic compound) because of the methanol in it. You're only suppose to have less than 1 oz of the stuff per 32oz of water. Except in Shasta County and Tahoe and a few other mountain counties, they can have a lot more (the bottle says these counties can have -15 F solution). It's also regulated in Texas, Phoenix, and Atlanta.

I was in Tahoe again this weekend, and saw people pouring bottled water onto their windshields. It's a shame they don't make it easier to get in the bay area - you really need it when you drive up there, but that's also when the normal stuff they sell will freeze on you.

kUcRG

Last edited by schan1w; 01-30-10 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 04:10 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Bay area weather doesn't really that cold to freeze...but yea those thing come in handy on the mountain.

If you have time, go to Mammoth Mountain. 5 hours from sacramento/3 hours from L.A. Great place to go for snowboard/skii.