RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 - Remote Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 02:04 PM
Trader2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow RX300 - Remote Question

can anyone help me with my non working remote?
I have learned how to program but at very last step where you press "lock and Unlock key" the red light blink fast and kept blinking until I release the button and transmitter does not get programmed.
Is it a bad remote?
Can buy a new key from ebay and have them cut it? Will I be able to program transmitter without master key?
Dealer is asking $300 and that's insane.
Old 04-18-08, 05:11 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is that you are trying to program a master key without the use of another (working) master key. From what I've read, that is your problem.

Again, from what I've read here on the forum, if that is the case, $300 is unusually cheap.
Old 04-18-08, 11:12 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=bob2200;3458429]My understanding is that you are trying to program a master key without the use of another (working) master key. From what I've read, that is your problem.

x2

That is the case with almost all "chipped keys"- it takes 2 functioning programed keys to program an additional key. If you only have 1 key, the dealer or a very good Lexus experienced locksmith are your only hope. And God help you if you lose both keys for a Lexus!
Old 04-19-08, 04:00 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just so we don't panic Trader2K too badly, I don't think it's that bad. I think it only takes one working master key to program additional master keys. Also, I think you can readily get a Lexus key cut by a mail-order or regular Lexus dealer from the VIN number (upon proof of ownership). The remote features are nice, but not essential. People survived for many years using only the lock cylinders.
Old 04-19-08, 07:16 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you figure out exactly what you have, sites like this can get you going much cheaper than the dealer.
http://www.toy-lex.com/index.html
Old 04-19-08, 11:27 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob2200
Just so we don't panic Trader2K too badly, I don't think it's that bad. I think it only takes one working master key to program additional master keys. Also, I think you can readily get a Lexus key cut by a mail-order or regular Lexus dealer from the VIN number (upon proof of ownership). The remote features are nice, but not essential. People survived for many years using only the lock cylinders.
Thanks Bob for that bit of information-I was unaware that you could program a second key with only one key (master). It's a good day as I have already learned something new! Roger
Old 04-19-08, 11:29 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
Once you figure out exactly what you have, sites like this can get you going much cheaper than the dealer.
http://www.toy-lex.com/index.html
Thanks Mikey- Good find- I'm sure that will help a lot of people that would have otherwise been at the mercy of the dealership. Roger
Old 04-20-08, 04:43 PM
Behbee
Driver School Candidate

Hi- I called Lexus before to get another key made, because I only have 1 master key. I've also checked ebay. I don't think you really save that much if you buy it from ebay because a lot of keys there for auction don't have the brain in the key and if it does it's only about 50.00 cheaper. Plus ebay way you have to get the key laser cut and programmed which I think is 150.00 or so. Lexus said for the key, cut, and program it's about 300.00. Hope that helps
Old 04-20-08, 04:46 PM
Behbee
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Oh, for your last question about not having a master key. The dealer said if I lost both keys, it would cost about 1000.00 to change the computer inside the car then make another master key.
Old 04-21-08, 01:13 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Behbee
Hi- I called Lexus before to get another key made, because I only have 1 master key. I've also checked ebay. I don't think you really save that much if you buy it from ebay because a lot of keys there for auction don't have the brain in the key and if it does it's only about 50.00 cheaper. Plus ebay way you have to get the key laser cut and programmed which I think is 150.00 or so. Lexus said for the key, cut, and program it's about 300.00. Hope that helps
You can get a complete cut key with brain with a lifetime warranty against breakage for $145 from the link I provided above. All you need to do is program it in using instructions provided at the site. That's a lot cheaper than the $300 you paid at the dealer and it has a better warranty.
Old 04-26-08, 05:00 PM
Trader2k
Driver School Candidate

Fellows thanks for your input. I do have one key that I use for start and stop but remote is not working as I said in my original post.
Can someone post instrcutions for "how to program RX300 remote"?
When you all say master what do you exactly mean? I think the key I have right now which works fine except remote can be called a master key, if not then what is it?
Thanks.
Old 04-27-08, 05:28 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trader2k
Fellows thanks for your input. I do have one key that I use for start and stop but remote is not working as I said in my original post.
Can someone post instrcutions for "how to program RX300 remote"?
When you all say master what do you exactly mean? I think the key I have right now which works fine except remote can be called a master key, if not then what is it?
Thanks.
It does sound like you have a master key. If you were to buy a new key w/remote cut to your vin, programming is a 2 step process. First you need to program the RX so it will allow the new key to start the car. You would use your existing key and follow the directions in the link provided. After this procedure the key would start the car but the remote would not yet work. Now you need to program the RX so it will work with the new remote. To do this you need a working remote key which you don't have. I would dissamble your remote clean the contacts and put in a fresh battery and hope you can get it working. Then you can program your new remote. If you can't get your remote working, the cheapest way out would be to buy another non-remote key program it to start the car and forget about the remote feature. I bet when the dealer quoted you $300 he assumed he was going to get that remote to work, so he could program and provide a new key. What's the price if he can't? Maybe it's a replacement key and was programmed to start the car but the remote was never programmed. Maybe it's not the remote at all but the receiver in the car is bad (very unlikely). i think the RX computer accepts a max of 6 keys programmed in. What if 6 are already programmed in? If you can't get your remote working, and the dealer can do it for $300, I would be inclined to go for it. Be careful though. This is one of the situations where the bill could easily double or triple.
Here are the programming instructions:
http://www.toy-lex.com/programming11.html