LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Key Programming ; Safe or Sorry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 10:26 PM
philmstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Key Programming ; Safe or Sorry?

Greetings All, my first post!

I purchased a 2000 LS400 last month, am VERY pleased and finding these Forums extremely helpful but I do have a question that I have been unable to find an answer for.

My car came with a "Master" key (with the remote buttons) and a half key in a small plastic wallet with a key code. Both keys are cut identically.

I was advised by an *Bay locksmith to check my "Master" did actually turn off security light, immediatly on insertion into the ignition. This it did so I assume it is the Master key? I have thus ordered a spare key (with remote buttons) and it is currently being cut. My plan is to use the 5 x Lock/Unlock proceedure etc. to program that key and put my original away for safety.

My question is, I have read that the car will store up to 4 keys, if my current only working key is number 4 in the computer memory, do I risk bumping it out when I program my new key? I have no idea how many keys have ever been added and lost to this car in it's life, I do know from viewing "My Lexus" it had to have a new ECU and Keys back in 2009 I'm guessing because the then owner lost all keys?

Don't want to repeat that expensive mistake

any advice would be appreciated? Thanks in advance....
Old 06-04-15, 06:23 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by philmstar
Greetings All, my first post!

I purchased a 2000 LS400 last month, am VERY pleased and finding these Forums extremely helpful but I do have a question that I have been unable to find an answer for.

My car came with a "Master" key (with the remote buttons) and a half key in a small plastic wallet with a key code. Both keys are cut identically.

I was advised by an *Bay locksmith to check my "Master" did actually turn off security light, immediatly on insertion into the ignition. This it did so I assume it is the Master key? I have thus ordered a spare key (with remote buttons) and it is currently being cut. My plan is to use the 5 x Lock/Unlock proceedure etc. to program that key and put my original away for safety.

My question is, I have read that the car will store up to 4 keys, if my current only working key is number 4 in the computer memory, do I risk bumping it out when I program my new key? I have no idea how many keys have ever been added and lost to this car in it's life, I do know from viewing "My Lexus" it had to have a new ECU and Keys back in 2009 I'm guessing because the then owner lost all keys?

Don't want to repeat that expensive mistake

any advice would be appreciated? Thanks in advance....
Great question. I am in a similar situation. Where did you get the spare key from? local dealer or online? if online do you mind sharing the link.

thanks
Old 06-04-15, 06:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

From the language in the program procedure I doubt that it would knock out the master key. It seems it would only knock out the first key registered after the master.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1998 LS400 key programming.pdf (140.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 06-04-15, 11:20 AM
philmstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by saleenssc
Great question. I am in a similar situation. Where did you get the spare key from? local dealer or online? if online do you mind sharing the link.

thanks

Hi, I got the "Blank" from 1 dealer and the "Laser Cutting" is being done by another dealer on eBay. (I have posted him the blank with Code and photos) he has excellent feedback, so fingers crossed. Cost was $32 and $29.99 respectively, so for around $60, I will hopefully have peace of mind.

I know we are not supposed to promote vendors on here, so I will PM you when I have my new key back and hopefully positive results.
Old 06-04-15, 11:29 AM
philmstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
From the language in the program procedure I doubt that it would knock out the master key. It seems it would only knock out the first key registered after the master.

Thanks, thats what I hoped. I have actually tried this procedure with my only key to see if I could get to 3.Confirmation mode, which should indicate how many keys are already programmed BEFORE you add another.

Unfortunately I cannot get this to work, the steering column is on the move, as soon as the key touches the cylinder, I just cannot put key in/out fast enough.

Will try again when my new key arrives.
Old 06-04-15, 11:37 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Hi, I got the "Blank" from 1 dealer and the "Laser Cutting" is being done by another dealer on eBay. (I have posted him the blank with Code and photos) he has excellent feedback, so fingers crossed. Cost was $32 and $29.99 respectively, so for around $60, I will hopefully have peace of mind.

I know we are not supposed to promote vendors on here, so I will PM you when I have my new key back and hopefully positive results.

Thanks. Good Luck. Hope it works out.
Old 06-08-15, 08:05 PM
philmstar
Driver School Candidate

Saleenssc, got my cut key back today (Monday! Only posted blank last Wednesday) worked in door lock first time, even turns everything on, but imobilizer still active (Engine just turns over).

Will teach Car new key tomorrow and hopefully program the remote keys at least I now have a spare

Got the blank on eBay (Item No: 191201332454) from vendor extra-partss
Then posted to (Item No: 321525688186), vendor no.1lowestpricesguarateed.

Hope I am just helping members and NOT breaking any rules?

Last edited by philmstar; 06-08-15 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Inccorrect Information
Old 06-09-15, 06:11 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Saleenssc, got my cut key back today (Monday! Only posted blank last Wednesday) worked in door lock first time, even turns everything on, but imobilizer still active (Engine just turns over).

Will teach Car new key tomorrow and hopefully program the remote keys at least I now have a spare

Got the blank on eBay (Item No: 191201332454) from vendor extra-partss
Then posted to (Item No: 321525688186), vendor no.1lowestpricesguarateed.

Hope I am just helping members and NOT breaking any rules?
Great. Thanks for getting back to me with an update and those links.

Enjoy the new ride
Old 06-09-15, 06:49 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Default imobilizer

were you able to teach the new key to operate the imobilizer? and start the car?
Old 06-09-15, 10:44 AM
philmstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
were you able to teach the new key to operate the imobilizer? and start the car?

Yes, success! First attempt failed, I think I was too slow and deliberate with the Accelerator/Brake pedal tap dance, so the security light came back on as soon as I removed original master key.

Second attempt I was a lot quicker, 5 x accel, 6 x brake all in under 20 secs, result was no security light until I replaced master with new key and pressed accel once, light flashed for about a minute then stopped.

removed key pressed brake once, and all is good.

New key now switches on AND starts the car
Old 06-10-15, 01:05 PM
philmstar
Driver School Candidate

Yes, success! First attempt failed, I think I was too slow and deliberate with the Accelerator/Brake pedal tap dance, so the security light came back on as soon as I removed original master key.

Second attempt I was a lot quicker, 5 x accel, 6 x brake all in under 20 secs, result was no security light until I replaced master with new key and pressed accel once, light flashed for about a minute then stopped.

removed key pressed brake once, and all is good.

New key now switches on AND starts the car

and I can confirm the second programming instructions (door lock/unlock etc.) for all the "remote" buttons worked fine and I now have a spare key that does EVERYTHING!