RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check engine light: vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 08:40 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by davidyal
After several weekes with code P0442 & P0446, I just discovered that the hose behind the airbox was disconnected. My hands are too big to reach in there as is. Can someone explain what the best way to reach and reconnect the hose is?
The airbox can be easily removed.

Salim
Old 10-21-10, 12:35 PM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm stumped again

I reconnected the hose behind the airbox, and used my scanner to clear the check engine lights.

However, the VSC and TRAC OFF indicators are still on. When I plug in a scanner, it doesn't find any error codes active.

Does it take some normal driving to reset?
Old 10-21-10, 12:44 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I would try disconnecting the battery too.
Old 10-21-10, 10:11 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by davidyal
OK, I'm stumped again

I reconnected the hose behind the airbox, and used my scanner to clear the check engine lights.

However, the VSC and TRAC OFF indicators are still on. When I plug in a scanner, it doesn't find any error codes active.

Does it take some normal driving to reset?
You do not have a CEL and there is no code.

Your RX is telling you there is a problem detected in your braking system.

Salim
Old 10-22-10, 05:03 AM
davidyal
Driver

Uh, oh, that is never news soeone wants to hear.....

How do I diagnose it further?

Here is the complete history:
1. TRAC OFF, VSC and CEL appear
2. Codes show P0442 & P0446 (EVAP)
3. Discover vacuum hose behind airbox was disconnected
4. Re-attach hose, and use scanner to clear codes
5. CEL is off, but VSC and TRAC OFF remain lit
Old 10-22-10, 10:42 AM
salimshah

As suggested, try removing battery power, to see if the brake (part of the ecu) clears out.

Lexus has a port to check the brake error code. I am not sure if that port is OBDII compatible.

Salim
Old 11-10-10, 02:47 PM
davidyal
Driver

OK, after several weeks, I'm still stumped.

After I discovered that my vaccuum hose was disconnected, I reattached and cleared the CEL. The CEL never came back, and scanner doens't show any codes.

However, the VSC and TRAC OFF remain constantly on.

1. Pulling the EFI fuse didn't clear those lights.
2. Unplugging the battery did not clear the lights.

Any other ideas? The fellow at Autozone seemed fairly knowledgble, and claims that those sensors can only be reset by the dealership. Salim mentioned a brake code, but I could find any further details.

(On a positive note, gas mileage seems improved since I reattached my vacuum hose)
Old 11-24-10, 11:10 AM
davidyal
Driver

I'm still struggling with the same problem: no CEL, bit VSC and TRAC OFF appear.

I happened to be near the dealership, so popped in to show them the problem. The service manager attached his scanner, and couldn't find any codes reported. He suggested that the VSC TRAC OFF combination may be caused by a sensor checking tire sizes and that I should fill up the tires with air. Beyond that, still no clue how I can get this resolved.

The mystery continues for me...
Old 11-26-10, 11:24 AM
ontoy
Rookie

There is a trac off switch just under your steering wheel, try depressing that button. Don't know what year is your ES but on my 2000 there is a switch under there.
Old 03-01-13, 08:59 AM
tarzan17
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ByTor
Just a note, my air box is not tightly sealed, only used zip ties. The oil change dude lost two clips for the air box, so I had to improvise. Can't just buy the clips, have to buy the entire air box assembly for several hundred dollars. CEL and VSC light would come on occasionally with air box intact, seems to come on less now with zipped tied, leaky air box. So air filter and air box is not a fix. I have had best results with just re tightening the gas cap. Car runs no different with lighs on or off.
Disclaimer: I don't have any CEL but have some questions about vacuum leaks:

When I was re-installing the air box this past weekend, I noticed that the three mounting bolts with the rubber grommets could not be tighten enough to seal properly and the box had some "wiggle" to it. Would this be an issue for a vacuum leak?

Also, when ever I fill up gas, when removing gas cap I don't feel suction or hear any "pop" sound indicating absence of vacuum. Gas cap was recently replaced. Would this also be an issue for a vacuum leak?
Old 03-01-13, 09:14 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tarzan17
Disclaimer: I don't have any CEL but have some questions about vacuum leaks:

When I was re-installing the air box this past weekend, I noticed that the three mounting bolts with the rubber grommets could not be tighten enough to seal properly and the box had some "wiggle" to it. Would this be an issue for a vacuum leak?
This is normal. The airbox will not cause a vacuum leak because there is very little vacuum there. The only air leaks you have to worry about are downstream of the MAF.

Also, when ever I fill up gas, when removing gas cap I don't feel suction or hear any "pop" sound indicating absence of vacuum. Gas cap was recently replaced. Would this also be an issue for a vacuum leak?
This is a problem. Your fuel tank should be air tight. In fact, I'm surprised you're not getting a CEL based on your description. I can let my car sit several days and go loosen the gas cap and hear the pressure release. Did you put an OEM gas cap on? The gas cap must be air tight for the EVAP system to function properly.
Old 03-01-13, 09:52 AM
tarzan17
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baetke
This is a problem. Your fuel tank should be air tight. In fact, I'm surprised you're not getting a CEL based on your description. I can let my car sit several days and go loosen the gas cap and hear the pressure release. Did you put an OEM gas cap on? The gas cap must be air tight for the EVAP system to function properly.
Thanks Baetke.

The gas cap is generic and was replaced last month along with new A/F sensors. I figured with empty tank the pressure would be lower. Added to my todo list - will investigate further. Cheers.

EDIT: Looks like low pressure when removing gas cap is common :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sure-poll.html

Last edited by tarzan17; 03-01-13 at 02:14 PM.