RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New Member Here....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 10:46 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts
Default New Member Here....

I've puttered around this site this afternoon and it appears to be more oriented to the do-it-yourself maintenance owner than another Lexus forum that I've participated in over the past several years, and I like that aspect very much. That's primarily why I spend time on any automotive site - looking for ways to effect repairs and save serious money doing so myself.

My wife drives a 2000 RX300 AWD approaching 110,000 miles. I've dealt with almost all of the well-known failures that this model seems to be subject to: transmission, exhaust manifold, multiple oxygen sensors, rear main oil seal, front strut mount rubber bushings, and a couple of others that don't come to mind at the moment. Fortunately, I've been able to convince our local dealer to repair all of these issues both during the warranty period and after the warranty expired, so I've never paid them a penny for their services and I truly respect and appreciate that. The vehicle has run quite well over the past year and although I readily admit that I don't like it (overweight, underpowered, and far too small for me), my goal is to keep it roadworthy for my wife for another 20,000 to 30,000 miles or so before she finally nags me into opening the checkbook to purchase her next vehicle.

I look forward to gaining additional service and maintenance knowledge from those of you who have been here awhile as well as sharing some of my experiences in attempting to keep this vehicle well-maintained and on the road. Thanks for taking the time to read my comments and I look forward to being a participant here....
Old 05-09-06, 04:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here.

I have had a few of those problems you mentioned myself. I have to be a DIY with my uncles and cousins since we don't have Lexus here, but I will say that Toyota has improved in their service department quite a bit down here since opening in 2002 and my Lexus dealer in San Antonio I know take great pride in my little RX and are always happy to know it is a winner on the track.

I have my dislikes about it such as the turning radius. However, for being a Mexico vehicle it has held up very well given the way I drive it.

Again, welcome to the forum and let us know whenever we can help.
Old 05-09-06, 04:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome
Old 05-09-06, 09:28 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome. Could you describe the belt noise experienced when you replace your belts?
Old 05-10-06, 06:57 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

The belt noise was typical squealing at engine start-up and then the typical annoying constant ticking that could best be heard when going through a bank drive-up window because you get the echo off the close wall of the building. A spray can of Pep Boys belt dressing took care of the noise problem for a couple of weeks, but about a year ago I decided to go ahead and resolve the issue properly by changing the AC/Alternator belt. Problem solved.

Although the factory Timing belt is well-engineered and very sturdy on this vehicle, the factory AC/Alternator belt and factory Power Steering Pump belt are both no better than average. If your original belts are more than four or five years old regardless of your mileage, they are breaking down and need to be replaced. The good news is that they are both quite inexpensive at the Toyota parts counter. I believe the new AC/Alternator belt was less than $20 when I purchased it about a year ago. I still haven't changed the Power Steering Pump belt because it is not making any annoying noises yet, but I don't look forward to that task. It is located behind the AC/Alternator belt and will be a ***** to get to. But that belt was less than $15 when I priced it last year. I'm sure both belts have gone up some since then, but get them from your local Toyota parts counter and you'll save money.

If you decide to tackle the Power Steering Pump belt, let us know how it turns out and what you had to do to get the old one off and get the new one on. I think that it will probably have to be done from underneath the vehicle, whereas the AC/Alternator belt can be done from above.
Old 05-10-06, 08:19 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, there is a whirling noise for my RX just after startup, no ticking or squealing. Since I am going to replace the stock pulley with a CNC lightweight aluminum URD crank pulley, I am going to ask a shop to replace both serpentine and AC/Alt belts at the same time. I should have done this 5 months ago but the noise is just one incentative to justify the $120 labor cost.
Old 05-10-06, 10:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After jack standing and removing the right front wheel, the power steering belt replacement is not too bad. Using a drop light allows you to clean up the pump pulley while your in the area.