RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Really keyed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 04:14 AM
Liquidozz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really keyed up

I recently purchased an RX 300 2002. I bought an extra master remote off of ebay and am wondering how to program it. I have read many of threads in CL concerning the programing of remote keys. I am totally confused on which programing ritual to use to program the 3 button remote key. I understand in order to get the key to work 100% I must first replace the blade with an uncut blade. I understand though that you can program the used key to function as just a remote, before replacing the precut key I would appreciate anybody's help on getting me to a thread that has the proper programing rituals I need.
Old 11-22-05, 10:43 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

There is an ongoing thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/72242-successful-key-transponder-programming.html

Blank Key cut is needed to operate the locks/ignition, which can be done at a pro-locksmith. The hardware store key duplicators may not be able to do it.

Programming part in a nutshell is registering the key id in the ecu. Keep in mind there are a limited number of registrations you can do before the ecu memory becomes full. I am not sure if you can ever un-register the codes, so please be careful. Replacing an ecu => $$$$.

If you are un-aware, the remote sensors in RX will shutdown all remote functions, if it receives a wrong code. Wrong code may eminate form the key of another Lexus owner nearby or unscruples folks with scanner/transmitters. [Read: make sure you have the blade cut properly else you might be locked out].

Welcome.

Salim
Old 11-22-05, 07:54 PM
Liquidozz
Driver School Candidate

Default Keyed up

Thanks Salimhah, I will do some further reading, thanks for the thread link.
Old 11-23-05, 05:06 PM
dbarnesid
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

IF all you're trying to do is program the remote keyless entry, this procedure will work. I also have a 2002 RX300.

I did this yesterday, and it worked. But hang onto your seat, it's long:

1) Begin with the following:
2) Driver's door open and unlocked, all other doors closed
3) Key out of ignition (this is your working key not any new key)
4) Insert key into ignition (do not turn it) and pull it out (this is your working key not any new key)
5) Complete the following within 40 seconds:
a) using the power lock/unlock switch located on the driver's door, cycle the power locks five times. Cycle means you press lock followed by unlock.
b) Close then open the driver's door
6) Complete the following within 40 seconds
a) Five more lock/unlock cycles
b) Insert key into ignition and turn to the ON position (on is as far as you can go without cranking the engine) then turn key back to off position (may be marked "lock")
c) Remove key from ignition
7) Within 3 seconds the power locks should automatically cycle indicating successful entry into programming mode. If this doesn't happen, start again at step one.
8) Complete the following within 40 seconds.
a) On the first new remote transmitter to be programmed press both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for one second then release
b) Immediately after you release the buttons, press the lock button on that same transmitter for a little over one second and release. Within a few seconds the power lock should automatically cycle once. If they cycle twice you are not successful and you must repeat steps 8 a and b again until you are successful.
9) Close driver's door and test the remote.

GOOD LUCK!
It took me two tries to make it work, but my new key is fine and I saved about $150 over going to the dealer to have this done. In fact, my dealer charges $40 just to program the key!!

If you get a key blank and need to have that cut, you will have to program the transponder in order to start the car. That is a WHOLE different ritual. But, I completed that too, successfully.
Old 11-24-05, 08:49 AM
Liquidozz
Driver School Candidate

Default Keyed up

Thanks Dbamesid,
Will give it a try, is there one ritual to do first ? Like do the transponder ritual first then do the entry ritual? Does it matter?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 11-25-05, 11:27 AM
dbarnesid
Driver School Candidate

Default Order of the Secret Ritual

I really don't think it matters whether you do the transponder (start the car) ritual first or the entry version. But my directions told me to do the entry first, then have the key blank cut, and finally do the start procedure. That order worked for me, so I'd recommend it for you.

Caution: When you get ready to program the key to start your car I'll give you those directions too. And, the directions I got and followed did not work. I had to do the directions for the ES300. Those worked fine. Maybe there was a change made sometime during the year 2002, I don't know. I just know I needed to follow a separate set of directions to program the key to start the car.
Old 05-10-11, 10:56 AM
mno221
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face keys

My problem is I only have one key, the key start the car, open the windows, lock and ulock the doors, but the transponder (remote) don't work, the batt is good but it will not lock or unlock. When i got this SUV the engine had been replaced. Could that be the problem and how do i fix it.
Old 05-10-11, 11:49 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That can be a problem on gen 1. If you don't have a functioning master the ECU will most likely need to be reflashed. That was the case when I bought my '01 RX, ended up costing me 180 and I provided the keys.

Call your dealer and find out what you will have to do . I understand sometimes they will give one reflash during the life of the car. I did have to pay for mine.
Old 05-10-11, 01:27 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

I think you are confusing the transponder with the remote emitter. The transponder is fixed memory chip in the substance of the key which removes the security lock out and allows the key to start the car. If you have a key which, when inserted into the ignition, causes the blinking security light to go out within 5 seconds it is a master key. You can then use this key to program a new key to both start the car and perform all the remote functions. This programming is done by the on-board computer and is triggered by the sequence described in db's earlier post. Feels like doing the hokey-pokey Let me know if you need additional help.

Scott
Old 05-11-11, 08:47 PM
mno221
Rookie

Default Really Keyed Up

Right Scott it is a master the security light does go out within 5 seconds i was confused, the remote emitter is part that dont work, I'll try db"s post tomorrow and let you know. THANKS!!!!
Old 05-14-11, 10:53 AM
mno221
Rookie

Post really keyed up

i did the db's instructions but it didn't work, the remote still don't work, any more suggestions. the key itself work, start, lock and unlock but remote will not lock or unlock, the batt is new the little light on remote light up whenever you push one of the buttons.