RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New Silversport / comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-01, 06:21 AM
SilversportMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, Nice to have found this site. I've had my new RX300 Silversport for about a month now, and my enthusiastic searching of the internet for anything about the RX led me here... pretty cool. Mine is the basic silver, and it's gorgeous enough that I don't feel an urge to change anything about it just yet. The silver color seems to glow in different lights - We took a picture of it in the driveway and it seems to have an aura about it. I love the perforated leather interior and brushed metal accents too. One of my friends called it the 'Darth Vader-mobile', says it looks like something out of Star Wars.

Just a couple of things that bug me about it, I'd be interestd in hearing comments -
1. The CD changer is a real pain, especially since the CDs have to load label side down. Taking them out, turning them over to see what's what, putting them away, trying to keep the sliding tray in its groove while you get a new CD ready.... I keep ending up with CDs and drawers all over the car. I like the idea of a changer for long trips, but why couldn't they have just given us a single in-dash player for convenience? Also, I'm not at all impressed with the sound from the speakers - I've found I have to keep the bass level down to 2 or it distorts.
2. The stick shift console is right where my knee falls when I'm driving. After a while I get a real sore spot on my leg where it hits the side of the console. My last vehicle was a Pathfinder, so I'm used to an open space with plenty of lateral leg room.
3. The climate and sound controls couldn't be more confusing if they tried. I'm constantly adjustiung the fan blower when I want to adjust the volume level, and the disc access and track access for CDs are in two different places. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it seems like awful ergonomic design.

Well, not to sound too complaining - I do love it. The ride is fantastic, it cruises effortlessly. Silky smooth acceleration. The seats are as comfortable as seats can get. I've already taken it on a trip from Long Island (where I live) up to the Montreal Jazz Festival - about 800 miles round trip. Beautiful ride, and the RX performed nicely through a heavy thunderstorm Next week I'm taking it cross country - driving out to the Grand Canyon! I'm excited and looking forward to going X-country in such style! I'll probably end up putting about 7,000 miles on it over the next few weeks, which brings me to a couple of questions....

Had it in for the first service at 1100 miles, told Lexus that I was planning a 7,000 mile trip, but they didn't change the oil, and told me it would be fine that way for the long trip. What happened to a break-in period for a new vehicle? Does that sound OK? I'm not too comfortable with it, myself. Another question... I don't want to end up splattering bugs all over the gorgeous front and special Silversport grill, so I was interested in buying a nose mask. Lexus also discouraged that - saying that they aren't good for the paint. Well, either are bug splats or rock dings. Any thoughts? Should I get the nose mask, and do they look and perform well on the RX?

Anyway.. thanks for all being here. I'll try to post a picture of my "Rex" when I get a chance....

Mike
Old 07-19-01, 08:55 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Glad to have you here You should get used to the dash design of the RX after a while. I gladly put up with it to have the cool LCD display screen. I also love having the CD changer in the console and in a magazine. Not only do I have hours of music in there, if I want to change them out for a trip or something I can just grab the whole magazine out of the car and take it inside where I load six new CD's. Also, if you have more than one Lexus with the six-disc changer it is VERY convenient. If I want to take out the LS I just grab my CD magazine and put it into the LS changer and VOILA I have all my CD's to play instantly

The RX has a great sounding system, but the sub is lacking in low bass performance (it is only 5"). I will eventually add a larger amplified subwoofer in the cargo area...but what new car do you NOT have to add more bass to?

The first recommended oil change is at 5000 miles, so you will be a bit over...maybe you can find a Lexus dealer in the area you are traveling to have it changed. If not, tell you dealer when you want it changed...period. They will do it.

I am not a big fan of nose masks, or things like that. You could get a bug deflector and then remove it when you are finished with your trip. The grill shouldn't be a problem, it can be cleaned. Just worry about protecting the hood from debris.

I hope you got something out of all this Have a good trip!

-Nick
Old 07-19-01, 10:25 AM
ObiDon
Driver

When I brought my '01 RX in for the 1000 mile checkup they did change the oil and filter. I have always changed out the oil and filter on a new car after the first 1000 miles, some do it at 500. The reason is that there is always "stuff" in a new engine from the casting process that will work its way into the oil. I know, this may sound way over the top, but I put 200,000 plus miles on a car before I get a new one, so every little bit helps me get their. Anyway, I would change your oil before, and after your trip. Took me awhile to get used to the controls, but now I can do it in the dark
Old 07-22-01, 12:25 PM
Silversport01
Driver School Candidate

Trust me you will get used to it. Enjoy it I know I do.