RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Nightfall mica swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 06:54 PM
Tarusse1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightfall mica swirl marks

My wife and I ordered a nightfall mica fsport. We went to look at it tonight but haven't taken delivery yet. Our salesman had it cleaned up and detailed for us but we immediately noticed scratches and swirl marks all of the hood and other parts of the car. Has anyone else noticed swirls or scratches on their new RX. Should we refuse delivery and have them order another vehicle. This is our first Lexus and we have been underwhelmed in many aspects. Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-27-16, 07:44 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarusse1
My wife and I ordered a nightfall mica fsport. We went to look at it tonight but haven't taken delivery yet. Our salesman had it cleaned up and detailed for us but we immediately noticed scratches and swirl marks all of the hood and other parts of the car. Has anyone else noticed swirls or scratches on their new RX. Should we refuse delivery and have them order another vehicle. This is our first Lexus and we have been underwhelmed in many aspects. Thanks for your responses.
DON'T BUY it unless you're happy with it. Any darker car will show swirl more than lighter color, but the Nightfall is far from black, and Mica adds enough depth. If you're dealer is underwhelming you, or snatched the finish, I'd find another. IMO car buying experience is more dealer specific than brand specific. Lexus corporate, that said, is pretty hard to beat at handling issues.
Old 04-27-16, 07:47 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a silver one! A lot easier to maintain. This is coming from a caviar black owner.
Old 04-28-16, 04:47 AM
Tarusse1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. It has bee frustrating as we ordered the car April 2nd and we told the dealer we didn't want or need the car until mid July when our x3 lease is done. They told us no problem that the build time on a custom order is 90-100 days. They called us on Saturday to tell us it would be here Wednesday of we wanted to come and pick it up. The salesman seems to forget every time we talk we didn't want the car until July. Now when we go to look at it yesterday after hours the car looks all scratched and swirled up from a bad detail job. We gave 3k for them to build it that is non-refundable if we don't take the car. I'm hoping because it was dark maybe it just looked like there were swirls if not. I don't want the car. I want them to order another one or give us our money and we will go to another dealer.
Old 04-28-16, 05:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Like any dark colored vehicle, swirl marks and getting that perfect finish is a challenge. 99% of dealerships just wash them up and generally add minor marks to the finish.

They can easily be removed. However, it will be work to keep it that way.

I love black/dark colors, but do not like the job to keep it looking perfect. I am too **** to own a black car anymore. Dealers typically hide the swirls with some sort of finishing spray, first wash the swirls are back.

I got the grey color this time and saw the swirls when I picked it up. A quick wash and then some 3M ultra fine finishing polish fixed that! A coat of sealant on top and it looks like it should have from the dealer.

Check out the detail forum to get some good advice for maintaining a dark car.

Last edited by FastFord; 04-28-16 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-28-16, 05:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

we ordered the car April 2nd and we told the dealer we didn't want or need the car until mid July when our x3 lease is done. They told us no problem that the build time on a custom order is 90-100 days. They called us on Saturday to tell us it would be here Wednesday of we wanted to come and pick it up.
Check the build date. No way it was it built this month. They found a similar one to what you ordered and are trying to offload it to you.
Old 04-28-16, 05:52 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Check the build date. No way it was it built this month. They found a similar one to what you ordered and are trying to offload it to you.
+1

Its your money. Why accept a car that is not 100% new. Its like getting a beat up cereal box and paying full retail for it.
Old 04-28-16, 06:26 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is getting creative to meet their end of the month sales quota???
Old 04-28-16, 07:00 AM
Tarusse1
Driver School Candidate

How would I go about checking the build date? We are going back at 5pm today to discuss with our salesman. At this point I feel like walking away if we can get our money. Like I said we planned for the car in July not now and they keep pushing us off.
Old 04-28-16, 07:05 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Of course you can get your money back regardless if it was stated non refundable..

Tell them you aren't happy with the vehicle nor the wait time and threaten to call Lexus corporate. Also ask to speak the general manager which will have no issues refunding you. Its the salesman who will tell you they can't refund, etc. but his say isn't worth much if any at all... Good luck
Old 04-28-16, 07:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

How would I go about checking the build date? .
It's visible when you open the driver's door. Should be near the tire pressure recommendations.
Old 04-28-16, 07:42 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
It's visible when you open the driver's door. Should be near the tire pressure recommendations.
Just adding to Mike's post - it is a black and white label oriented vertically on the driver's door jamb. Mine says:

MFD. By: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc. 03/16
Old 04-28-16, 08:26 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my opinion.

1. If you do not care for getting a car now, request your deposit back as others indicated.
2. If you really do want the car bad, you can take your chance, request that the dealer pays for the detailer fixing this and go to a reputable detailer to fix it (I am assuming its not completely botched). Do not agree to them "fixing" it, chances are, they will mess it up, or try to so it on the cheap, while it will look good initially, after the first wash of a few days its going to look like crap again.

Since now you have an experience with dealer "prep", decide if you want to accept their work, or request that they do not touch the car for you, in writing. The car does need some care, even if its straight off the truck, but I would not trust dealership, unless you actually see their work and can confirm other people's experience.
Old 04-28-16, 08:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) Deposit. If you are refusing delivery to buyers remorse, then the deposit based on the wording in the contract is nonrefundable. However if the dealer fails to deliver a new car without swirl marks then the dealers has failed to live up to the t&C. Deposit is now refundable.

2) If you order a car unless the dealer is willing, the car cannot sit on the lot wasting space.

3) I would back out of the dealership, since once you take possession its your headache. Ask the dealer to either offer some reasonable solution ala $$$ if you can live with said marks or botched repair job. However considering you posted a thread about swirl marks, I`d straight up demand a new order. Make sure you state you want delivery of this new order to your trusted detailer with the bare necessity of PDI. Or even ask the PDI be done with the detailer if they are mobile.

GL
Old 04-28-16, 08:45 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks. It has bee frustrating as we ordered the car April 2nd and we told the dealer we didn't want or need the car until mid July when our x3 lease is done. They told us no problem that the build time on a custom order is 90-100 days. They called us on Saturday to tell us it would be here Wednesday of we wanted to come and pick it up. The salesman seems to forget every time we talk we didn't want the car until July. Now when we go to look at it yesterday after hours the car looks all scratched and swirled up from a bad detail job. We gave 3k for them to build it that is non-refundable if we don't take the car. I'm hoping because it was dark maybe it just looked like there were swirls if not. I don't want the car. I want them to order another one or give us our money and we will go to another dealer.
I can see not reason for the dealer to detail your car when new. No way it should have swirl marks unless there was something wrong and they tried to correct it.

Quick Reply: Nightfall mica swirl marks