RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

USB Taking a Long Time To Load Each Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 07:30 AM
kurleedadd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB Taking a Long Time To Load Each Time

I use a thumb drive plugged into the UBS port. I have maybe 16gb of music on it. I have noticed that each time I turn on the ignition, it take FOREVER for the infotainment to load the thumb drive. Anyone else have this issue? Or how it can be resolved?

I had about 1 TB of music on a solid state portable hard drive and it would load right away in my Tundra. Also have the same 16gb stick in my aftermarket stereo in my 2001 Honda Civic beater car and it loads right away.

Also, anyone know how to pick random among all albums? Can't get that to work either.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-15, 03:09 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What model year RX do you have?
Old 10-02-15, 07:23 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Do you have a lot of subfolders? I think it only likes to read down one or two levels of folders.
Old 10-02-15, 07:29 AM
kurleedadd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Do you have a lot of subfolders? I think it only likes to read down one or two levels of folders.
I do. Maybe I should just put all music files in one folder? I shall try.
Old 10-02-15, 07:30 AM
kurleedadd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
2013 Lexus RX 350 AWD
NAVIGATION PKG HD
PREMIUM PKG
COMFORT PKG
Old 10-02-15, 07:41 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

That is overkill. I have a 32gb thumb drive with lots of folders, but all the music is only within those folders except for I think, 2 or 3 that have one more subfolder. It loads quickly.
Old 10-02-15, 10:04 AM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by kurleedadd
I use a thumb drive plugged into the UBS port. I have maybe 16gb of music on it. I have noticed that each time I turn on the ignition, it take FOREVER for the infotainment to load the thumb drive. Anyone else have this issue? Or how it can be resolved?

I had about 1 TB of music on a solid state portable hard drive and it would load right away in my Tundra. Also have the same 16gb stick in my aftermarket stereo in my 2001 Honda Civic beater car and it loads right away.

Also, anyone know how to pick random among all albums? Can't get that to work either.

Thanks in advance.
What's the quality of your thumb drive? I used to have one (cheap, from e-bay) and it was REALLY slow one. Try another similar drive with same content and you at least will see if it it's a hardware issue or not.
The reading will be slowed down by unsupported formats and files (pictures, FLAC), if there are some, I believe.
Old 10-02-15, 01:06 PM
kurleedadd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gusar
What's the quality of your thumb drive? I used to have one (cheap, from e-bay) and it was REALLY slow one. Try another similar drive with same content and you at least will see if it it's a hardware issue or not.
The reading will be slowed down by unsupported formats and files (pictures, FLAC), if there are some, I believe.
Thanks. I have a Kingston 64gb in there right now. It has about 16gb of music on it. But each albums is individualized. So even though it was in the slot when I turned off the car. When I turn the car back on, it takes at least 2 minutes for all of it to load again. My 2014 Tundra was instantaneous and also showed album covers with the songs. I then added a 2TB portable Western Digital hard drive to it with about 1 TB of music and it only took about a minute to load up as opposed to not at all in the Lexus.

Oh well. I guess you can't have everything in a Lexus
Old 10-02-15, 01:16 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurleedadd

Thanks in advance.
I'm not in my Lexus ATM so I'm working from memory here.....when you have your screen on USB, I believe Random is in the lower left corner, click it once and you get random just within that folder, click it again and you get random all (look toward the top of the screen and I think you can see the change in wording each time).
I have all my music in three folders and I don't have long loading time issues.
Old 10-02-15, 09:21 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Not sure how much (if any) difference there is between 2010 and 2013 version, but I started out using a USB stick, but I ended up picking up an older used early generation iPod cheap. The Apple interface is vastly superior to the USB interface, instant loading, playlists, and such. On my 2010, I still have full access to all features even while driving, the USB interface would lock out while driving. Could be worth switching, even if just to load up MP3 files.
Old 10-03-15, 07:56 AM
kurleedadd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by klwagoner
I believe Random is in the lower left corner, click it once and you get random just within that folder, click it again and you get random all
That's another thing I was going to ask about. Thanks. It worked and now I can listen to random tracks from different albums.
Old 10-03-15, 12:20 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by klwagoner
...click it once and you get random just within that folder, click it again and you get random all (look toward the top of the screen and I think you can see the change in wording each time).
I didn't know about the clicking twice action. I have all my music in one folder and have tried to just sync with the My Music folder on the computer but could never get more than one folder to play. I may have to try this again before our next road trip.