RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interested in getting a Rx any Opinions/Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 09:12 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

As Eric has pointed out, there are many benefits to the Hybrid ownership, other than the gas saving.

We get no lag and no unexpected shifts with the 450h. Although Toyota's power split device falls under CVT category, it has little to do with a common CVT. Hence why it is worlds apart. There is no transmission in for the rear motor either.
Old 07-28-15, 07:57 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't drive the hybrid before I purchased, which was a mistake. I got one as a loaner and it was much better. Of course the base model with the 6 speed tranny was better too. Mine drives badly enough that I can't imagine they made it to perform this way...but all the techs can't find anything wrong. The only thing holding me back from trading it in is the impending release of the 2016 model and the loss of money I would suffer from getting rid of my current car....after the full nose bra, window tint, cross bars, trailer hitch...
Old 07-29-15, 10:19 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I didn't drive the hybrid before I purchased, which was a mistake. I got one as a loaner and it was much better. Of course the base model with the 6 speed tranny was better too. Mine drives badly enough that I can't imagine they made it to perform this way...but all the techs can't find anything wrong. The only thing holding me back from trading it in is the impending release of the 2016 model and the loss of money I would suffer from getting rid of my current car....after the full nose bra, window tint, cross bars, trailer hitch...
Have you tried driving any other F-Sport models? Could it be possible that something is wrong with your transmission or tranny programming?

The reason I have these questions is because I drove the F-Sport for 20 minutes and I didn't find it to be significantly different than my 6-speed.

-Eric
Old 07-29-15, 02:14 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually did go to the dealer and drive another F sport they had on the lot....a new one. It was slightly better than mine, but did still exhibit some of the lag I mentioned, especially going up hills. The dealer was great though, the reflashed the ECU and the tech took a long time driving my car. He did notice that in certain circumstances the car stays in a "little bit too high of a gear" but he said the tranny was acting as it should. I just resigned myself to the fact that it is what it is. We'll see how the 2016 drives.

I didn't mean to highjack this thread, but thanks for the discussion of my unhappiness. I am sure you are all getting sick of me rehashing the same crap. I promise I'll shut up for a while
Old 08-03-15, 06:43 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I actually did go to the dealer and drive another F sport they had on the lot....a new one. It was slightly better than mine, but did still exhibit some of the lag I mentioned, especially going up hills. The dealer was great though, the reflashed the ECU and the tech took a long time driving my car. He did notice that in certain circumstances the car stays in a "little bit too high of a gear" but he said the tranny was acting as it should. I just resigned myself to the fact that it is what it is. We'll see how the 2016 drives.

I didn't mean to highjack this thread, but thanks for the discussion of my unhappiness. I am sure you are all getting sick of me rehashing the same crap. I promise I'll shut up for a while
Sorry to hear of your problem, and I agree it can be very frustrating. We've had the F-Sport for 10 months, and while I did experience a slight bit of lag, I have noticed that from a dead stop if I give it a little throttle and allow an initial throttle "tip-in" (if this makes sense) before accelerating further I have no lag problems.

When we first got the F-Sport the 8spd did take some getting used to, but now when I drive it after driving my other cars it don't even notice it anymore..
Old 08-08-15, 04:06 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought a 2010 RX CPO from a local dealer and we have been very pleased. We bought it for being quiet and the comfortable ride. The RX has not disappointed us. The fuel economy is good, 23-24 mpg average in the spring, summer and fall. Winters in the Midwest don't count for mpg checks. Compared to the previous GM SUV we had, the RX is well worth the money for what we want in a vehicle. The V6 has plenty of power when needed on the road. (Wife never got speeding tickets till we got the RX! LOL) I didn't buy it for road courses and I expect it is not to good for that. Just my 2 cents worth.