Oil change intervals - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Oil change intervals

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-15, 03:45 PM   #1
jsmchow
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Wa
Posts: 9
Default Oil change intervals

new to this forum..

I know there is a standard mileage recommendation for changing oil, but does anyone know the equivalent time interval?

for example, I thought it was every 6 months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km)
jsmchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 04:06 PM   #2
Tom558
Pole Position
 
Tom558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Napa, CA
Posts: 344
Default

10,000 miles or one year.
Tom558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 04:15 PM   #3
Raoul
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 217
Default

The services guide for my RX350 states every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Unless you operate under special conditions...
dirt road driving
repeated trips under 5 miles when outside temperature below freezing
extensive idling, - (use as a taxi, or a pizza delivery vehicle, or you pretend it's a police car idling in front of a donut shop)
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 05:43 PM   #4
kjang
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: california
Posts: 27
Default

Wow, that's pretty good. Just bought an rx today. Stumbled onto this thread. Glad I did and now I know.
kjang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 05:54 PM   #5
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,457
Default

I keep my oil changes between 7.5K and 10K and 1 year max.
Last time I dumped oil when it had about 9.5K on it. Visually, it appeared to be in normal condition.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 06:39 PM   #6
Marqevans
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjang View Post
Wow, that's pretty good. Just bought an rx today. Stumbled onto this thread. Glad I did and now I know.

What year? Lexus went to synthetic oil I believe in 2012. Prior to that the oil changes were more frequent and I believe at 5000 miles.
Marqevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 06:49 PM   #7
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
 
kitlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,280
Default

Lexus changed to synthetic oil back in February 2010. Here's the letter and the reasoning behind it in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil change intervals-img_0669.jpg  
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 02:22 PM   #8
klwagoner
Driver
 
klwagoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: OK
Posts: 107
Default

Thankfully synthetic oil lasts about twice as long as conventional oil since an oil change costs at least twice as much. $125 at the Lexus dealership -- they've lost their minds.
klwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 04:25 PM   #9
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwagoner View Post
Thankfully synthetic oil lasts about twice as long as conventional oil since an oil change costs at least twice as much. $125 at the Lexus dealership -- they've lost their minds.
It's always been around $100, so not much has changed. Gotta pay for the Starbucks coffee in the waiting room.

DIY costs much less, though.
It's grand to have it done at greater intervals.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 08:43 PM   #10
jsguillet
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlz View Post
Lexus changed to synthetic oil back in February 2010. Here's the letter and the reasoning behind it in case anyone is interested.
"We are also pleased to advise you that the 12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary."

Does that mean free oil changes?
jsguillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 09:54 PM   #11
Tom558
Pole Position
 
Tom558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Napa, CA
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguillet View Post
Does that mean free oil changes?
No, not free, you had to purchase the Lexus. No additional charge would be a better description. The 5,000 and 10,000 mile service are included in the purchase price of your Lexus.
Tom558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 03:12 AM   #12
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
 
kitlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguillet View Post
"We are also pleased to advise you that the 12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary."

Does that mean free oil changes?
jsguillet, the complimentary 12 month/10,000 mile service includes a free oil change. Some early 2010 RX owners were able to get two free oil changes. Prior to the letter, the first two complimentary services were at 30 days/1,000 miles and 6 months/5,000 miles with an oil change. The 12 month/10,000 mile service with an oil change was added when Lexus switched to synthetic. No more 30 day/1,000 mile service. Still, two years before having to pay for an oil change isn't bad at all.
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 06:07 AM   #13
Cruiter
Moderator
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,837
Exclamation

Almost always getting it serviced will cost more at Lexus stores just as if you were taking your Rolex watch to the authorized selling dealer for service. However the good news is your warranty only requires you to have it serviced by the stated schedule with oils/filters etc., meeting the stated specifications. I've found most Toyota stores with do your routine service for fees between $60 & $75 bucks. They'll even file it in your online service record for your VIN. You still get coffee and treats but probably not espresso and sticky buns . How much are those two things worth?

For Warranty work of course you'll still have to use Lexus but no charge for that .

Just FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwagoner View Post
Thankfully synthetic oil lasts about twice as long as conventional oil since an oil change costs at least twice as much. $125 at the Lexus dealership -- they've lost their minds.
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 08:59 AM   #14
klwagoner
Driver
 
klwagoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: OK
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Almost always getting it serviced will cost more at Lexus stores just as if you were taking your Rolex watch to the authorized selling dealer for service. However the good news is your warranty only requires you to have it serviced by the stated schedule with oils/filters etc., meeting the stated specifications. I've found most Toyota stores with do your routine service for fees between $60 & $75 bucks. They'll even file it in your online service record for your VIN. You still get coffee and treats but probably not espresso and sticky buns . How much are those two things worth?

For Warranty work of course you'll still have to use Lexus but no charge for that .

Just FYI
I read the posts yesterday about going to Toyota -- I don't think I knew you could do that. I just bought my RX on March 1, 2014 so I'm only on my second oil change (but I've used the 10,000 mile freebie).
So I went home and looked up local Toyota dealerships - we have four. Wouldn't you know NOT one of them is conveniently situated? BUT to save approximately $50, I can be a little inconvenienced. We only have one Lexus dealership and it's certainly not convenient (it sure is nice though).

Thanks for the help.
klwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 02:24 PM   #15
BertL
Moderator
 
BertL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: So California
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwagoner View Post
I read the posts yesterday about going to Toyota -- I don't think I knew you could do that. I just bought my RX on March 1, 2014 so I'm only on my second oil change (but I've used the 10,000 mile freebie).
So I went home and looked up local Toyota dealerships - we have four. Wouldn't you know NOT one of them is conveniently situated? BUT to save approximately $50, I can be a little inconvenienced. We only have one Lexus dealership and it's certainly not convenient (it sure is nice though).

Thanks for the help.
Many people have reported great results having non-warranty service handled by Toyota. A suggestion though, given my personal experience: Be sure to call the Toyota dealer before you go in. Where where I live, my closest Toyota dealer is owned by the same lady that owns two nearby Lexus dealerships. ...at least when I tried a few years back, the Toyota dealer would not service Lexi, and pointed me at the Lexus dealership for even non-warranty work. My point being, your mileage may vary with some Toyota dealers performing service on Lexus or not. :roll eyes: Good luck!
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil change intervals ShunDoe Car Chat 41 03-10-16 09:19 AM
Oil Maintenance Required Eppieguy GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) 5 12-22-14 09:07 AM
LS oil change interval dld542004 LS - 4th Gen (2007-present) 4 08-28-13 03:17 PM
Recommended Service Intervals driven5373 IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 10 08-06-13 09:48 AM
Maint Intervals/Synthetic Oil peasept LX - 3rd Gen (2008-present) 1 01-03-10 03:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved