RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking about trading in my LS460 for RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 11:04 AM
korlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
My brother owns an 85kw model S.
With a modest option, it's $83,670 before taxes.

I like the ride ( im biased since i have an electric RAV4)

I HATE the seats. Can i say that again, HATE HATE the seats. And the rest of the interior.
For that pricei can't help but compare the TESLA to a 7 series, S class, A8 and of course an LS.

Ignoring the technology ( which is half the price of the Tesla)' i feel like sitting in a $35,000 entry level premium
'I feel like sitting in a $35,000 entry level premium.'
lol
Old 04-18-14, 01:18 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the RX 450h could possibly be the best road car ever. I thought the same of our previous RX 350, but the 450h is even better! I assume it's due to the increased weight, that's just a guess.

As a single purpose "flagship" luxury sedan, I would expect the LS to have a more refined, more compliant ride. The RX is a luxury multipurpose vehicle with a shorter wheelbase, that does many things VERY well (except that "sporty" thing). I would expect the RX to ride a bit more firm, and even a little more bouncy. As long as you expect and accept the trade off, you'll love the RX. That said, I'm often surprised at how many people really do expect the RX to ride like an LS. Or an old Lincoln.

I would expect to drive the RX differently than I would drive the LS, too. I sure don't think of the RX as being sporty or racy, and I don't believe that was ever the intention of the RX. It feels pretty normal being a bit more sedate in an RX. Besides, I have my other car to satisfy my occasional need for a bit more spirited driving.

It never even occurred to me that an RX would have torque steer! I've certainly never experienced it, but ours is AWD. If you can justify the slightly reduced mileage, you might consider that as an alternative, if the torque steer is REALLY annoying.

Last edited by User 41924; 04-18-14 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 04:46 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Rx 350 awd

I've owned several LS 430/460s before I switched to the 2013 RX350 AWD. I had been driving a Nissan Frontier Pickup most of the time, but enjoyed driving the LS when I did take it out for a drive or trip. Decided I only needed one vehicle and the RX fit my lifestyle better than the LS. So I traded for a 2013 RX 350 AWD and never looked back. I did not think the RX would ride quite like the LS or have as many bells and whistles. I like the view from the RX and appreciated it's flexibility. I don't drive aggressively and have never experienced the steering results posted above. Do the RX.................
Old 04-19-14, 09:19 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think the RX 450h could possibly be the best road car ever. I thought the same of our previous RX 350, but the 450h is even better! I assume it's due to the increased weight, that's just a guess.

As a single purpose "flagship" luxury sedan, I would expect the LS to have a more refined, more compliant ride. The RX is a luxury multipurpose vehicle with a shorter wheelbase, that does many things VERY well (except that "sporty" thing). I would expect the RX to ride a bit more firm, and even a little more bouncy. As long as you expect and accept the trade off, you'll love the RX. That said, I'm often surprised at how many people really do expect the RX to ride like an LS. Or an old Lincoln.

I would expect to drive the RX differently than I would drive the LS, too. I sure don't think of the RX as being sporty or racy, and I don't believe that was ever the intention of the RX. It feels pretty normal being a bit more sedate in an RX. Besides, I have my other car to satisfy my occasional need for a bit more spirited driving.

It never even occurred to me that an RX would have torque steer! I've certainly never experienced it, but ours is AWD. If you can justify the slightly reduced mileage, you might consider that as an alternative, if the torque steer is REALLY annoying.
Mine is also AWD, we dont get the FWD one here, maybe thats why the minimual torque steer hasnt concerned me. Its not as bad as my 2nd Gen RX
Old 04-21-14, 07:40 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Mine is also AWD, we dont get the FWD one here, maybe thats why the minimual torque steer hasnt concerned me. Its not as bad as my 2nd Gen RX
I also have AWD, but it is not a full-time system and has limited power. It masks some torque-steer, but does not eliminate it. It will even kick-in the rear motor if taking a hard turn, but will disengage it quickly thereafter.

Actually, it's not half bad as long as you take it easy.
I was paying more attention to it this past weekend, as I was driving the RX. After the first half hour, you start getting used to FWD steering feel. The left and right wheels fight each other only under hard acceleration. Same happens if you do right-left-right change quickly while accelerating, which would be the case on a roundabout.

One cool thing about the RX450h is how smoothly it accelerates due to the nature of Lexus Hybrid Drive system. It makes it more comfortable for passengers when driving swiftly.

Overall, the RX is a great cruiser vehicle. It is perfect for mindless driving. Just don't expect it to satisfy when it is taken through its paces. That's where it will fall short. But it is an SUV, so it is not intended to be driven aggressively.

GS450h on the other hand, could be the best of both worlds. If I wanted an automatic and lived in a warm climate, it would be on top of my list as my DD.
Old 11-11-16, 03:49 PM
Lead Lap

Received 752 Likes on 505 Posts

I have both the gs460 and rx450h. The GS rides smoother, is less bumpy and interior is more solid.

Seats on the RX can be more comfortable for longer distances because they are more upright.

I was was surprised in the ride quality on the RX given it has more side walls. But I guess the AVS suspension and the tuning made the difference.
Old 11-12-16, 04:03 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

In June of 2015, I bought a 2013 ES300h and love the car. That September my wife traded in her 2010 RX350 and bought a 2015 Rx450h. Eight months later kind of joking, I said to you want to switch? Surprising she said yes. She had a SC430 and other sports cars and likes that feel. I love driving the RX. I average 29 mpg overall. Very convenient to have the big cargo area in the back for hauling large items. To your point, I also enjoy just stepping in and not down into the seat. I am 6:4 and especially after leg day at the gym the higher seats are a blessing. When I go back to driving the ES, I feel like I am in a go-cart. This is the best time to buy a hybrid. One does not go in a dealer and buy one when gas is $4 a gallon. Both were both at local Lexus dealers. The ES we paid very close to the gas models on the lot. The RX450 was about a $1,000 more than the gas RX350.
Old 11-13-16, 01:31 AM
Lead Lap

Received 752 Likes on 505 Posts

Yep agree with you. After driving the RX450H for weeks, and then driving off in the GS460 - it was head snapping acceleration and lots of fun. The MPG on the RX is amazing compared to the GS, almost twice the economy.
Old 11-14-16, 04:37 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I wouldn't buy an SUV if it was just me driving.
I'm surprised you don't find the LS comfortable for long drives.
If you altered the suspension, that might be the answer why.

RX suffers heavily from torque steer. Ultimately, it is an FWD vehicle, built on the Camry platform.
If you are used to the way LS drives, which is properly RWD-based, that that may not be to your liking.

Torque steer? Really? Our 2013 RX350 doesn't display ANY evidence of torque steer in daily driving. We formerly owned 2 MDX's, and they both sent a lot of torque steer to the wheel, but not the Lexus. Maybe it is "which year" thing...
Old 11-21-16, 02:15 PM
Ehsun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RX is a great car but I would stick to the LS, you will probably find it more comfortable as it is a flagship Lexus Sedan
Old 11-22-16, 11:40 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
Torque steer? Really? Our 2013 RX350 doesn't display ANY evidence of torque steer in daily driving. We formerly owned 2 MDX's, and they both sent a lot of torque steer to the wheel, but not the Lexus. Maybe it is "which year" thing...
Not enough torque maybe? I've driven a '16 RX350 loaner and it wouldn't spin tires off the line when floored. It was more sedate than my '13 RX450h.
I did not notice torque steer in it either, just it being slow compared to what I'm used to, despite having 295HP.
RX450h has immediate electric torque-on-demand, so the effect is more pronounced. That is expected - it is an FWD architecture with open differentials after all.
Smaller rear motor does make it more animated too. On the other hand, AWD RX350 will lock the rear drive axle from standstill, so that will mask it better than the hybrid.
Flooring RX350 in a turn may make it show its true colors as rear wheels will be disconnected from the drive train.
I didn't care enough about the RX350 to take it through its paces when we had one for 2 days, so I just gave the keys to my wife and took my daily driver.

Let me reiterate that most drivers are used to FWD behavior and will not be as sensitive to torque-steer as those with RWD background.
Old 11-22-16, 01:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I never experienced any torque steer in my RX350, but it's alive and well in my Highlander Hybrid, as expected.
Old 11-23-16, 09:44 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Not enough torque maybe? I've driven a '16 RX350 loaner and it wouldn't spin tires off the line when floored. It was more sedate than my '13 RX450h.
I did not notice torque steer in it either, just it being slow compared to what I'm used to, despite having 295HP.
RX450h has immediate electric torque-on-demand, so the effect is more pronounced. That is expected - it is an FWD architecture with open differentials after all.
Smaller rear motor does make it more animated too. On the other hand, AWD RX350 will lock the rear drive axle from standstill, so that will mask it better than the hybrid.
Flooring RX350 in a turn may make it show its true colors as rear wheels will be disconnected from the drive train.
I didn't care enough about the RX350 to take it through its paces when we had one for 2 days, so I just gave the keys to my wife and took my daily driver.

Let me reiterate that most drivers are used to FWD behavior and will not be as sensitive to torque-steer as those with RWD background.
I'm reiterating Vlad's experience on torque steer. I can feel this very clearly on the 450h AWD because I have the 01 RX 300 AWD, which has no torque steer or wheel spin of any kind when starting. The severity is not like Volvo T5 Turbo front wheel drive torque steer or a Saab 9000 Turbo torque steer. Those cars were just weird and funny to watch the steering wheel wobble around during acceleration. The 450h is much milder torque steer which any female driver should be able to handle (even my mom). But's still there and is annoying.

wish list:
lexus should make nice with Chinese state owned rare earth metals manufactures and go with all lithium ion batteries, which are lighter, holds more charge and takes up less space. Then, fit a bigger motor in the rear to give us real kick in the pants acceleration using perhaps 50/50 torque split. Then, call that model the F sport.