RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Question about the Mark Levinson system

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 04:57 PM
harleybob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Mark Levinson system

Is the ML audio system worth the extra money in the RX 350. I listened to the stock audio system. I thought it sounded ok. Is the upgrade worth the money. All imput greatly appreciated.Thank You, Bob.
Old 04-01-14, 06:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Hi Bob. ML is ok for the average person. Bass is still missing but you can always add a subwoofer or two in the back, maybe some dynamat on the doors. There are a few extra speakers over the premium stereo and the ability to play movies while parked. The price is now around $1K, about half of what I paid. The main reason I got it was to remove the temptation to do serious upgrades, LOL! I spent way too much on the 330.

Finding an RX with ML is difficult so testing it isn't really possible. I don't want to give you a yes or no answer either because this is subjective. I will say I'm happy with it overall. With some tweaks (already mentioned), no doubt it would be better.

You mentioned you thought the stock system was fine. Any particular reason why you're considering ML?
Old 04-01-14, 07:20 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you listen to songs with a lot of bass I'd say it's worth it, but if you listen to "normal" songs just go with the stock rig.
Furthermore I noticed the ML really shines when you listen to classical music, other than that it's performance is pretty standard reiterating my above point.
Old 04-01-14, 07:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Well, the "worth it" determination is purely subjective. My RX came with it as it's packaged that way in Canada (2013 F-Sport) so I had no choice. I'm no audiophile but I do enjoy cranking the audio once in a while and the sound is clear, rich, with no distortion, better than the base sound system on the IS (never heard the base on the RX). The rear sub that comes with ML does help in the bass/richness department. With my kids watching movies on their tablet over Bluetooth, the 7.1 surround sound makes it enjoyable to listen to even if you're not watching on those long car trips. The ML shines most in CD live-concert type orchestral music (over R&B, rock, pop) producing pure, crisp, clear reproductions of violins, flutes, bass, piano, etc. If you will be primarily listening to Pop or Rock on FM, the sound quality although still better, does not stand out as much over the same station on my IS base radio at normal volumes.

I believe the cost is relatively cheap at $895 in the US (?) and put into perspective, it's very little compared to the $50K you will spend. It will also help a bit in the resale department one day making the value proposition a little more interesting. In summary, is it worth it? You have to factor in the above and for me, probably yes if you are buying your RX and have an appreciation for better sound, but less so if you are leasing it or if you just listen to the radio at low volumes.

Here's the marketing brochure and video. Good luck and keep us posted.

http://www.marklevinson.com/download...20brochure.pdf

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-01-14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 08:44 PM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

I have it and I really enjoy it and my wife and I notice the quality when listening to classical and jazz. For rock n roll and country, it's probably not worth the extra cost.
Old 04-01-14, 08:48 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoyed my ML with 7.1 DTS/ dolby sytem , extra speakers, rear subs + plays DVD for kids...love it when pairing with IPad Air.
Old 04-02-14, 03:26 AM
jlparker
Driver School Candidate

2010 RX with ML audio. If you want to hear this system preform at its best use a DVD-A . They (DVD-Audio) are hard to find and getting more and more expensive. You'll hear notes that you'll never hear on a standard CD.
Old 04-02-14, 06:18 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its definitely crystal clear. I got it thrown in for free so definitely not complaining but I would have paid the £990 price if i had to.
Old 04-02-14, 07:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

We have really enjoyed the ML system in our RX. I would be willing to buy it again.
Old 04-03-14, 07:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Anita,
2013+ can play movies as well, while the vehicle is stationary and the parking brake is applied.

Personally, I am very happy with the premium sound in our RX. It was actually better, than I expected.
If I wanted a better sound, I would opt for aftermarket rather than ML.
Old 04-03-14, 08:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

vlad, funny enough I haven't tried to play a movie in the RXh in the four plus years I've had it. I guess for some people it's a nice feature to have in addition to the other things. The only change I'm aware of, no more 6-CD changer. No doubt that factored into the price drop on ML. It's still a lot less than what I spent on aftermarket equipment in the 330. And the ML package back then ran $5K! I believe nav was included, I'd have to check the brochure later for all the details. It makes ML look like a bargain now.
Old 04-03-14, 02:56 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
vlad, funny enough I haven't tried to play a movie in the RXh in the four plus years I've had it. I guess for some people it's a nice feature to have in addition to the other things. The only change I'm aware of, no more 6-CD changer. No doubt that factored into the price drop on ML. It's still a lot less than what I spent on aftermarket equipment in the 330. And the ML package back then ran $5K! I believe nav was included, I'd have to check the brochure later for all the details. It makes ML look like a bargain now.
You really should try it, it provides such a unique experience and really makes the ML shine.
Old 09-21-18, 08:25 PM
15RX98422
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is my 2 cents. The ML seems slightly overrated. Sound is not that bad, but I expected better. I just traded my 2013 CRV for the RX350 F Sport with ML stereo. I had the Kicker L7 woofer & amp installed (in my CRV) with my stock system and honestly, the stock CRV system with woofer/amp was better. I did pull the woofer/amp out and will be adding this to the RX. I would advise you guys to not get fancy with the install. I have the box/amp sitting in trunk, but not permanently mounted so I can pull it out when I sell. When I bought the RX, after the trade, I had them disconnect the amp/woofer since I did not want the liability of messing up the car. Just my 2 cents, again.

Last edited by 15RX98422; 09-22-18 at 10:22 AM. Reason: want to add photos
Old 09-22-18, 08:28 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

The chamber has a huge impact on the acoustics. Cab portion of a SUV and speakers pushed into allowable location makes the situation pretty unique [compared to cars which have a rear deck and trunk]. The major issue with vehicles is the position of listener from speakers can never be set adequately for more than one rider. Glass around also causes reflections and sustained arrival times. On top of that the human personal bias [typically louder and boomy] muddies the whole issue.

At the end one can compare specs and costs/value. Once sound is adjusted, a few gifted ears can really tell or claim to tell the difference. My view point is that if you are truly gifted, you will still be unhappy with ML.

Salim