RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

NAV lady is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 08:11 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely useless. We have an inside "pardon" family joke. I use my iPhone or portable garmin at times for nav, really sad. 2015' here. this is where apple car infotainment will win sales for manufacturers.
Old 01-28-16, 10:08 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
... If they wanted to really "update" it, they'd add in the possibility that the weight in the front passenger seat is, in fact, a PASSENGER - who just possibly could be assisting with navigation.
That would be funny if they did that.
All the solo drivers would be riding around with a ten pound bag of potatoes buckled into the front seat.
Old 01-28-16, 10:39 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While not perfect, it's much better than the voice command system from our previous 2006 RX400h.
Old 01-28-16, 05:28 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

...Must we always be protected from ourselves?
You'll have to take that up with Lexus.
Once I was in a nice restaurant and saw a guy lining up his peas on knife and swallowing them.
I was so upset I nearly dropped a handful of mashed potatoes.

So, if I look over and see you sitting on your seatbelt you'll just get a thumbs up from me.
Old 01-28-16, 05:36 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

don't feel bad the same thing happens to me.

If they wanted to really "update" it, they'd add in the possibility that the weight in the front passenger seat is, in fact, a PASSENGER - who just possibly could be assisting with navigation.

I have a simple fix for this issue. Selt belt insert to kill the chime when you have something on the seat. fits perfect in the visor card hold when not in use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Seat-B...tJeSQg&vxp=mtr

Old 01-29-16, 06:55 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
While not perfect, it's much better than the voice command system from our previous 2006 RX400h.
Okay, define better. What is the trick to laminate it actually do what o ask? I say Gas Station and it says showing restaurant icons. I say Bell Lexus Scottsdale and it says pardon? I say show fast food restaurants and it says showing Chinese food restaurant ( the closest I've ever come to an actual request). How was the previous gen worse? It doesn't get any worse. If they don't let you type while driving and can't use voice commands then it's useless. Can't call, can't navigate. I say play music and it says showing gas station icons.....

I can't believe they would get it so wrong after having one of the best in car navi systems. If it wasn't for Enform, it would be 100% junk. My bad for not checking this when I bought it. I saw reviews and some said it was a bit frustrating with the mouse, but most have gone that way. I did drive a Kia Sorento and did play with the navi and voice commands. Coupled with the touchscreen that thing was top notch. Pretty damn sad if Lexus doesn't fix this. It really is a safety issue. Good thing I have my phone, because when I navigate to, it doesn't say pardon or showing Chinese food icons. This is a major black eye for Lexus. It WILL deter me from buying another. I thought the BMW iDrive was bad. At least it understands commands. Kia blowing them out of the water with their tech. Even more sad. Goes to show you who's trying and whose been riding out their reputation.

I really shouldn't be this mad. If it wasn't for knowing they can do better, I wouldn't. They have fixed other less critical issues with their cars, even when over 10 years old. Let's hope someone is listening. The fake floor mat problem was nothing compared to the distractions the navi causes, while trying to follow a simple command. If you have to keep looking at the screen and saying no to all of Naggie's" mistakes and we can't use our phones unless in hands free, we have a problem. A pretty big one for a premium upgrade.
Old 01-30-16, 07:27 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Default NAV lady is driving me nuts

Pirate walks into a bar with a ships wheel sticking out of his pants.
Bartender says, "Hey, you know you got a ships wheel sticking out of your pants?"
Pirate says, "Arrrr... it's driving me nuts."
Old 02-05-16, 02:52 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Okay, define better. What is the trick to laminate it actually do what o ask? I say Gas Station and it says showing restaurant icons. I say Bell Lexus Scottsdale and it says pardon? I say show fast food restaurants and it says showing Chinese food restaurant ( the closest I've ever come to an actual request). How was the previous gen worse? It doesn't get any worse. If they don't let you type while driving and can't use voice commands then it's useless. Can't call, can't navigate. I say play music and it says showing gas station icons.....

I can't believe they would get it so wrong after having one of the best in car navi systems. If it wasn't for Enform, it would be 100% junk. My bad for not checking this when I bought it. I saw reviews and some said it was a bit frustrating with the mouse, but most have gone that way. I did drive a Kia Sorento and did play with the navi and voice commands. Coupled with the touchscreen that thing was top notch. Pretty damn sad if Lexus doesn't fix this. It really is a safety issue. Good thing I have my phone, because when I navigate to, it doesn't say pardon or showing Chinese food icons. This is a major black eye for Lexus. It WILL deter me from buying another. I thought the BMW iDrive was bad. At least it understands commands. Kia blowing them out of the water with their tech. Even more sad. Goes to show you who's trying and whose been riding out their reputation.

I really shouldn't be this mad. If it wasn't for knowing they can do better, I wouldn't. They have fixed other less critical issues with their cars, even when over 10 years old. Let's hope someone is listening. The fake floor mat problem was nothing compared to the distractions the navi causes, while trying to follow a simple command. If you have to keep looking at the screen and saying no to all of Naggie's" mistakes and we can't use our phones unless in hands free, we have a problem. A pretty big one for a premium upgrade.
Don't worry mate, eventually you'll accept this as yet another Lexus failure.

My DD is a 2016 Audi S4 that I got with the Nav because there was a rebate on the "outdated" tech package.
It comes with 3D maps, can do Google overlay, and is pretty intuitive when you need to get something done, like finding a detour. I was surprised how easy it was to do the latter, while this is something I wouldn't even try to figure out while driving in the Lexus.
You have no idea how many turns I missed trying to make sense of complicated intersections and 2D maps in the Lexus. I keep calling Lexus Navigation System - the Frustration System.
And I don't even use voice recognition!

Then there are MP3 file names. Audi MMI has a nice display with the playlist and I have the current track info on the speedometer multi-display. What do I get in a Lexus? Just a quick blip on the screen of the folder and track number. Don't get me started on the AC button. WTF?
Audi sure as hell came with one. And what idiot routed HVAC controls through the entertainment system? When it dies, there goes the whole car! That takes a chunk out of reliability factor.
Old 02-05-16, 05:46 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Don't worry mate, eventually you'll accept this as yet another Lexus failure. My DD is a 2016 Audi S4 that I got with the Nav because there was a rebate on the "outdated" tech package. It comes with 3D maps, can do Google overlay, and is pretty intuitive when you need to get something done, like finding a detour. I was surprised how easy it was to do the latter, while this is something I wouldn't even try to figure out while driving in the Lexus. You have no idea how many turns I missed trying to make sense of complicated intersections and 2D maps in the Lexus. I keep calling Lexus Navigation System - the Frustration System. And I don't even use voice recognition! Then there are MP3 file names. Audi MMI has a nice display with the playlist and I have the current track info on the speedometer multi-display. What do I get in a Lexus? Just a quick blip on the screen of the folder and track number. Don't get me started on the AC button. WTF? Audi sure as hell came with one. And what idiot routed HVAC controls through the entertainment system? When it dies, there goes the whole car! That takes a chunk out of reliability factor.
Only the German cars I considered didn't have HVAC integrated. All others did and some even the seat heaters. Audi is definitely better on the navigation, but still miserable, compared to the simplicity of smart phones. It's their astronomical repair bills that drove me away. Will this generation of Lexus hold up as well as my previous two? Not a chance. I'll likely have to by a new car when the radiator cap goes bad. That said, I wasn't all that thrilled with much I drove. Most everything seems to be built around getting the next quick buck. Even shift levers don't make much sense in some new cars.
Old 02-29-16, 11:16 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my third Rx 450h (had a 2008 and 2012) and was hoping with the redesign and new navi system, it would be a big improvement over the other versions.....sorry, but NOT! - all I get from the voice command is "pardon?" ...to which I generally reply FU and get out my Samsung galaxy phone - it has near perfect voice recognition...now if there was only a way to get an app to integrate with the navi system! I guess that's why they have the Enform system - to get a real person to ask directions from.
Old 02-29-16, 12:08 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rj4510
Hats all I ever get when trying to use voice commands! What gives? I don't have an accent either. Anyone else finding voice commands not only useless, but frustrating? I've watched videos and followed the screen prompts and all I get is Pardon or the wrong interpretation! I say call home (entry exists on my phone) and it brings up something else. Try to spell out the number and Pardon?!!!! The useless navi on my 03 GX could understand me..what tha?
Are you Japanese?

Sorry! Couldn't resist.
Old 02-29-16, 12:11 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghabicht
I just got my third Rx 450h (had a 2008 and 2012) and was hoping with the redesign and new navi system, it would be a big improvement over the other versions.....sorry, but NOT! - all I get from the voice command is "pardon?" ...to which I generally reply FU and get out my Samsung galaxy phone - it has near perfect voice recognition...now if there was only a way to get an app to integrate with the navi system! I guess that's why they have the Enform system - to get a real person to ask directions from.
The only thing that made me feel any better is how equally bad or worse other car makers are with their voice recognition. I guess someone needs to pay the developers more or give up on the proprietary garbage. When someone wrecks and starts a law suit, I bet auto makers will get a clue. It's far safer to unlock the navi and allow people to plow into a pole, than trying to look down after Pardon, pardon, pardon and then plowing into something, because Toyota wouldn't allow an easier use case.