RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Plastic cover on rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 08:53 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plastic cover on rear bumper

Good morning people! The rear tailgate "cover" on the 2010 RX is a little faded and it is driving my femanina nuts...which in turn is driving me nuts.

Has anyone used any products/waxes that have brought it back to life?

TIA!
Shawn
Old 11-26-13, 09:42 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine was super faded so I applied peanut butter and it looks great now.
Old 11-26-13, 09:49 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Where I live, it would be covered in ants soon after. LOL

I use Amorall (on tires and plastic), but if it is really far gone, you could get some black (semi-gloss) vinyl spray paint and give it a touch up.
Old 11-26-13, 10:04 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I used Black Wow for a few years on my exterior black plastic trim including the bumper guard -- worked well, but with it's silicon base it didn't last too long. In the last couple of years I switched to a newer product called Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer. It costs more since it's a high-end product, but is a polymer so lasts a whole lot longer ... as in months vs weeks with Black Wow. It's pricey, but a very little goes a long way in the application. Just follow the directions that come with it for proper application. I'm really happy with Solution Finish.
Old 11-26-13, 01:31 PM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone! I will look into the products suggested and go from there...including the peanut butter, although I can't guarantee how much will make it on the truck itself.

As for painting, how easily can this piece be removed?
Old 11-26-13, 02:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Good morning people! The rear tailgate "cover" on the 2010 RX is a little faded and it is driving my femanina nuts...which in turn is driving me nuts.

Has anyone used any products/waxes that have brought it back to life?

TIA!
Shawn
I have been happy with Mother's Back-to-Black over the years. However, there are probably many similar such products you can pick up from your local auto parts store.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html

If after all that you can replace it as deemed appropriate. You can talk to a shop about how to remove the old one.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/4403.html

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Smooth or crunchy?
Old 11-26-13, 03:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Thanks everyone! I will look into the products suggested and go from there...including the peanut butter, although I can't guarantee how much will make it on the truck itself.

As for painting, how easily can this piece be removed?
Peanut butter is great for removing wax buildup too. I tried it on my new tires. They had a whitish hue to them. Worked pretty good. I made sure I bought the cheap stuff, creamy of course, so I wouldn't feel like I was wasting it, LOL!

The bumper guard is held on by adhesive. I wouldn't recommend removing it because you won't be able to secure it again. Instead try a few products mentioned to restore the color, then 303 at least once a month to protect against weathering again. 303 has UV protection plus it can be used on interior surfaces. Stay away from anything silicone based. You don''t want to make the guard greasy and it takes forever to dry. Doesn't last that long either. After each wash I use water based trim dressing like Chemical Guys Extreme V.R.P. and polymer Adams Super VRT and haven't experienced any discoloration after almost four years.
Old 11-26-13, 04:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
The bumper guard is held on by adhesive. I wouldn't recommend removing it because you won't be able to secure it again.
Why I recommended the OP talk to a shop before trying to remove if they decided to throw in the towel and purchase a new one (Sewell link provided). Agreed that once it has been removed it "should" be replaced, however, the insurance industry has a different opinion about the ability to reaffix the step pad once it is off the vehicle.
Old 11-26-13, 06:30 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

if it is faded from UV, you could try heating it with a heat gun. I've been able to bring back color on uv faded grey and black plastics such as windshield cowls and side door frame trim on other cars. If you plan to try, mask the paint area and try it in a spot first. Here is an example of the method from youtube

All else fails, the cheap way is to mask and plasti-dip the piece.

i've never tried the peanut butter trick..but i can't help to think about squirrels all over my car lol
Old 11-27-13, 06:37 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Excellent tips from everyone! Guess I will add this to the regimen for the RX...as if it's not time consuming enough with as big as it is. haha!

Last edited by ShawnD; 11-27-13 at 06:46 AM.