RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 11:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Correct on the first assumption. Battery Saving feature is one of the 2013 improvements -- my post HERE under lighting is an extract from TIS of that change. ...and yes, if I press the lock button twice, the lights go out sooner.

On your second point, I just tried this on my US 2013 with LEDs: If I have the headlights in Auto, they stay on until the expiration time OR if I hit the lock button twice, they go out sooner. If I have the headlights in ON, they stay on regardless of my touching the door handle and/or double click of the lock button (until, I assume, the battery saving feature shuts them off). IMHO, that works just fine for me. I appreciate some may find it agitating that the vehicle leaves the lights ON when the driver tells it to, but IMHO, there would be other owners that would debate or be upset if it had more of a mind of it's own and shut them off when ON similar to how Auto operates (e.g. people using headlights while camping or whatever creative thing they may come up with). Any mfgr can never quite win with how they design things like this I suspect for 100% of the potential owners, but I suspect most won't complain with the battery saving feature they've implemented on the 3rd gen refresh.
Bert, older Lexuses turned off the lights the same way as it is in Auto now, except in all modes. However, one needs to turn off the vehicle, then open and close the driver door for it to operate. It was a pain to emulate when I installed remote start in my IS300, but I got it fully functional, if I leave the lights ON, so that they will turn off, if the remote start cycles on and off.

BTW, I set mine to turn off immediately, so that as soon as I open the door, the lights go off and I know they're off.
Old 01-03-14, 02:21 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raylor4
Vlad,
My dealer said the seat belt chime is a state or federal regulation, and therefore would not disable it.
I figured out how to do it on my '11 RX350. I started a thread today.
Ray
Ray,

I had our local dealer disable the seat belt chime. They just did it, no questions asked.
I'm very happy with the result.
Old 02-05-14, 02:28 PM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gloved Hands = No Lock/Unlock

This winter has been harsh as we all know. I've tried locking and unlocking the vehicle with gloved hands and the touch feature at the front of the door handle does not work unless touched by BARE hands. Apparently it is capacitive induction and not a physical push button. Gave my daughter a pair of 'texting gloves' designed for phone input (not while driving, please!) and they didn't work worth a darn. Technology giveth and technology taketh away.
Old 02-05-14, 02:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

K1200ltc, I use 'texting gloves' from Isotoner and the one touch lock feature works. The key is to brush your finger lightly across the dimple in the door handle. Now if they were only heated to prevent freezing up in the winter
Old 02-05-14, 02:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Sorry wrong location
Old 02-05-14, 06:02 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by K1200ltc
This winter has been harsh as we all know. I've tried locking and unlocking the vehicle with gloved hands and the touch feature at the front of the door handle does not work unless touched by BARE hands. Apparently it is capacitive induction and not a physical push button. Gave my daughter a pair of 'texting gloves' designed for phone input (not while driving, please!) and they didn't work worth a darn. Technology giveth and technology taketh away.
I have no problem with the touch feature while wearing my gloves. I have a couple pair of leather gloves, one with a 40 gram Thinsulate lining and the other with a 220 gram Thinsulate lining and neither give me a bit of trouble. I'd be really upset if I had to take my gloves off to unlock the car.
Old 02-05-14, 06:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Same here, no issues with my CK leather gloves.
Old 02-05-14, 08:36 PM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's just my combination of ingredients. I am able to work the fob buttons and that's fine for me. I'll try with a pair of deerskin gloves instead if my thinsulate knit pair. This winter is terrible long... We're coming up on 40, below zero mornings!
Old 02-05-14, 08:36 PM
Maertens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to take my leather mittens off for this to work..sometimes it does work but more often than not I have to take the mitten off
Old 02-10-14, 06:56 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Dimple lock with gloves

Has anyone tried the top dimple and the bottom dimple at the same time?
This is what the manual says to do if the top dimple doesn't lock the door.
We've had to do this on occasion.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 02-13-14, 10:52 AM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's been bugging me for awhile is not being able to unlock the car from the rear doors. My 08 GS has it, the loaner ES350 had it. WTH???

Also the Nav voice recognition is horrible (its the same for all Toyotas) and the missing sunglass holder is just odd. Our previous CT had the SOS button and a sunglass holder, they could have fit it in.
Old 02-13-14, 11:46 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fasthuh
What's been bugging me for awhile is not being able to unlock the car from the rear doors. My 08 GS has it, the loaner ES350 had it. WTH???
That was a little odd on a $55K+ vehicle. At least the passenger door works as well.
I just set mine to open all the doors and called it a day.
Old 02-13-14, 11:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by fasthuh

Also the Nav voice recognition is horrible (its the same for all Toyotas) and the missing sunglass holder is just odd. Our previous CT had the SOS button and a sunglass holder, they could have fit it in.
I agree about the door locks. It's the same in both my RX and my IS. When I go to put my daughter into her seat in back, I first have to go up to my door, touch the handle, then walk back to her door, and open it. I wish there was just a sensor on her door. And yes, this is the very definition of a first world problem where I'm complaining about walking an additional two feet to unlock a door.

I agree the voice commands are weak. However, I think Toyota is working on it. The voice commands in my '14 IS are worlds above the RX. They have made massive improvements. I'm sure the next RX (2016?)will get that much improved system.

As for the sunglasses holder, it seems to be a recurring complaint on here. I get that it's handy, but it doesn't really matter to me. I just keep mine in the center console. For me it's not a big deal. Same with my IS.
Old 02-13-14, 06:09 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nav Screen Distorted with Polarized Sunglasses

The manual confirms that the Nav Screen can be distorted when wearing polarized sunglasses.

I see the distortion only in the lower left corner.

I just would hate to get rid of my Maui Jim's just to see the screen clearly.
Old 02-14-14, 07:15 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunroof buttons aren't lit
Memory position buttons aren't lit.
Can't automatically turn off rear view dimming (I'd like to turn it on when I need it)
Not having a winter set of tire pressure monitoring codes.

Quick Reply: Annoyances