RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus RX350 stolen twice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 12:53 PM
guodj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus RX350 stolen twice

Hi Forks, I put a post here just want remind you be care when you buy Lexis R350 (or may be any model ). It is not secure for anti-theft. it has a keyless starter function. I bought my first R350 last April, was stolen (drove away) from my drive way in November last year, my insurance company replaced a new 2013 R350 after. last night, the 2013 R350 was drove away again by theft with out any difficulty!!! I just don't know what happened with the car anti-theft system and how the theft can drive my car away without the key! there is no damage (I mean smashed window of the car) when it was stolen. It was just driven away by somebody without any problem. this is unbelievable!! should Lexus explain this to its consumer?

Last edited by guodj; 04-04-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 01:17 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is very unfortunate. This thread from the third generation RX350 forum talks about vehicle theft and ways to prevent it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ing-rx350.html
Old 04-04-13, 01:22 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you lock the door? I notice that there is spare key in the zipped sleeve which is used to put users manual etc. when we brought our 08. I immediately took it out. So if the door is not locked and if the spare key is there anyone can drive it away.

If the door is locked, I am not sure someone can open the door without using the key fob. May be someone found a way to just blast signals to the car and eventually he/she can find correct code to open the door. - My total brain storm.

And very likely it is the same person who stole your RX350 twice.
Old 04-04-13, 01:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

Guodj, sorry to hear about your troubles. From the sounds of it, your RX was probably towed away, not started and driven. That would explain the lack of broken glass. Or maybe the thief got their hands on one of your key fobs. I would seriously consider installing LoJack. I have it in my RXh. If it's moved without the special fob, I get a call within minutes. Good luck. I hope the police locate your RX safe and sound.
Old 04-04-13, 01:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If not recovered,it might be the time to choose a different brand or at least Lexus model.
Old 04-04-13, 02:10 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The easiest way to drive off in the vehicle is if you have the key. If the vehicle is recovered, I would take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to TIS Techstream device to see how many keys are there in the ECU.
Did you take your vehicle in for service to the same place? Valet Parking? Same dealer?
$25 device hooked up to a laptop running pirated TIS Techstream can program additional keys, as long as the person has the master key.
I'm sure there are other ways to trick the system.
Sounds like there are professional thieves at work in your area that know RX350 well. I would have at least an aftermarket alarm installed, regardless of a replacement vehicle. LoJack may also be a viable option, considering the stats.
Old 04-04-13, 03:32 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Da Fun ??? wow This is Stunning. Wow, I mean "WOW"

I am sorry to hear about this, I would be so Pissed, and worried about my family now, since the thief know where you and your family live. Would it be safe anymore ?

I always thought of Toyota Vehicles are very Safe and Secure against Thievery. Wow
Old 04-04-13, 03:42 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe put the car inside the garage? Also install a video camera might catch the thief.
Old 04-04-13, 03:49 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I always thought of Toyota Vehicles are very Safe and Secure against Thievery. Wow
They are! There is no way that the moron who stole this gentleman's RX350 is an average car thief, because if I used my logic correctly you still have to have the key or break the glass to get the car neutral to tow it away, this dude has to be linked with some dealer or some insincere Lexus technician....

To the OP sorry for your losses man, I would really have this investigated. Just a question what was the time frame between the two thefts? I am wondering because if it was within a short time frame there no way that someone else stole your RX, or if it isn't the same person this guy has to be linked to the dude who previously stole your other RX...

Last edited by MjThind; 04-04-13 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-04-13, 04:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Whitigir - anything in this world that is secure can be broken into. It's just the reality.

Guodj - This is a highly skilled thief who either has inside information and access to your keys or some really advanced tools to crack into the rolling code system, open the door and start/drive off with the vehicle.

At this stage, honestly, odds are the third theft will happen again. For a couple hundred dollars, I would get an IP security camera that triggers on movement and takes video or pics, and sends to your phone/computer. Combine it with flood lights attached to your home for night time intrusion to ensure you get to see this guy. Very inexpensive and the way to go since nabbing the thief is the only way to stop this craziness. You want to go even further - get the LoJack as well that others pointed out. Good luck!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-04-13 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 06:23 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or move to a nicer neighborhood. It sounds like the place isn't safe at all.
Old 04-04-13, 06:25 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

how many teenagers do you have in the house?
Old 04-04-13, 06:29 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about something really radical;' PUT IT IN A GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-13, 06:41 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe it was these guys:
http://http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/high-tech-thiefs-use-new-gadget-to-gain-keyless-access-to-vehicles-in-long-beach/
Old 04-04-13, 06:46 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Twice??? C'mon!
If this story is true, i'll be looking at family members or friends as the suspects.
The next day, i'll be house hunting.

Clearly, you're living in a shady neighborhood.
Even the insurance company will see this as a red flag.
Good luck with the claims!

Quick Reply: Lexus RX350 stolen twice