RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Codes P0174 & P0171. Dealership is lost

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 06:16 PM
LaytonSparks
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Codes P0174 & P0171. Dealership is lost

I have a 2010 Rx350 that throws the codes 0171 & 0174 intermittently. The check engine light will come on along with the traction control light. Weird thing is the check engine and traction control light will periodically go off by itself without me clearing the codes. I took it to the dealership explained the issue and left it for 8 days. They went through all the testing that is required for those codes and found absolutely nothing. They replaced all gaskets related to the possible problem, did a smoke test and plenty of other diagnostic tests, they basically got to the point to where they were ordering parts and replacing then taking them off and returning them because nothing was fixing the issue. So I finally just picked it up because I was going on vacation and didn’t want it to stay there for two more weeks. Has anyone had this problem that they found a solution for?

Old 02-23-24, 08:13 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

You are very lucky as they are accepting a return after installing part(s).

Lexus dealerships have trained mechanics and they have a regional expert who can be looped in to consult. I would say talk to the service manager.

If you are diagnosing by yourself, try reading live data. Some savvy member may be able to give you guidance.

Salim
Old 02-24-24, 01:34 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LaytonSparks
I have a 2010 Rx350 that throws the codes 0171 & 0174 intermittently. The check engine light will come on along with the traction control light. Weird thing is the check engine and traction control light will periodically go off by itself without me clearing the codes. I took it to the dealership explained the issue and left it for 8 days. They went through all the testing that is required for those codes and found absolutely nothing. They replaced all gaskets related to the possible problem, did a smoke test and plenty of other diagnostic tests, they basically got to the point to where they were ordering parts and replacing then taking them off and returning them because nothing was fixing the issue. So I finally just picked it up because I was going on vacation and didn’t want it to stay there for two more weeks. Has anyone had this problem that they found a solution for?

Just a guess, but maybe an air/fuel ratio sensor is bad. I believe that bad air/fuel ratio sensors can trigger the two codes as well, however it is odd that both banks are bad at the same time. I would also check the wiring harness ground connections for any bad connections.

Personally I would check the intake manifold seals if nothing else solve the problem since a bad intake seal can allow un-metered air to enter the manifold pass the sensors and mess up the air/fuel ratio the ECU is measuring which can trigger the warning for both banks like in your case.
Old 02-24-24, 04:40 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

On a non-Lexus vehicle we own, P0171 and P0174 codes were resolved by replacing both VVT (Variable Valve Timing) solenoid O-ring seals.

Who is your dealership?
Old 02-24-24, 07:44 AM
LaytonSparks
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
On a non-Lexus vehicle we own, P0171 and P0174 codes were resolved by replacing both VVT (Variable Valve Timing) solenoid O-ring seals.

Who is your dealership?
I’ve been taking it to Johnson Lexus of Durham.
Old 02-24-24, 08:03 AM
LaytonSparks
5th Gear

Originally Posted by carguy75
Just a guess, but maybe an air/fuel ratio sensor is bad. I believe that bad air/fuel ratio sensors can trigger the two codes as well, however it is odd that both banks are bad at the same time. I would also check the wiring harness ground connections for any bad connections.

Personally I would check the intake manifold seals if nothing else solve the problem since a bad intake seal can allow un-metered air to enter the manifold pass the sensors and mess up the air/fuel ratio the ECU is measuring which can trigger the warning for both banks like in your case.
The gaskets I know they replaced was the Plenum manifold and Throttle body, plus they replaced an oxygen sensor and they inspected and cleaned the connectors. I’m not sure if they inspected all other air/fuel sensors or connections though related to the issue.
Old 02-24-24, 08:14 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

The gaskets I know they replaced was the Plenum manifold and Throttle body, plus they replaced an oxygen sensor and they inspected and cleaned the connectors. I’m not sure if they inspected all other air/fuel sensors or connections though related to the issue.
Well, i am at a lost. The codes are generally cleared by replacing those items.

My next best guess is may be a bad ground connection(lose or broken wire) on the chassis.

The following users liked this post:
LaytonSparks (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
Well, i am at a lost. The codes are generally cleared by replacing those items.

My next best guess is may be a bad ground connection(lose or broken wire) on the chassis.
Very probable. Specially if there is not visible ground tap in between the engine and fire wall.

Salim
Old 02-24-24, 08:49 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 690 Likes on 511 Posts

Has anyone had this problem that they found a solution for?
Your long term fuel trim is pretty high, the link below might be helpful for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...4-codes-3.html
Old 02-24-24, 10:28 AM
LaytonSparks
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Gerf
Your long term fuel trim is pretty high, the link below might be helpful for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...4-codes-3.html
Yeah I read his write up and solution, but the part that fixed his issue (Air intake control Valve) doesn’t seem to exist on the 2010 Lexus Rx 350. I guess Lexus changed the intake when they moved on to gen 3.

I appreciate the help!
Old 02-27-24, 07:27 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Assuming the dealership ran the smoke test correctly, and ruled out a leak in one of the several vacuum hoses, have they looked at the MAF? Is there a CAI installed by any chance or a nonstandard air intake setup? The MAF is a PITA to change out because the windshield cowl has to come off, just like when replacing the intake manifold, so curious if they switched out or tested the MAF while the cowl was off.
Old 02-27-24, 08:50 AM
LaytonSparks
5th Gear

Originally Posted by afpj
Assuming the dealership ran the smoke test correctly, and ruled out a leak in one of the several vacuum hoses, have they looked at the MAF? Is there a CAI installed by any chance or a nonstandard air intake setup? The MAF is a PITA to change out because the windshield cowl has to come off, just like when replacing the intake manifold, so curious if they switched out or tested the MAF while the cowl was off.
They did a smoke test, not sure how well, but it was done. There’s no mods done to it like CAI or anything like that, everything is stock Toyota/Lexus parts. The MAF was one of the parts that they ordered, replaced and then sent it back because it didn’t fix the problem.