RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can I buy just the "ENFORM" service for RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 09:12 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would prefer to purchase only Enform (e-destination) with Safety Connection but that is not an option from Lexus.

What is find annoying is you can purchase Safety Connect separate but not Enform (all I want is e-destination) separately.
Old 01-05-14, 01:05 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I would prefer to purchase only Enform (e-destination) with Safety Connection but that is not an option from Lexus.

What is find annoying is you can purchase Safety Connect separate but not Enform (all I want is e-destination) separately.
Me too. While my subscription won't run out until November 2014, all I like from Enform is eDestination. Not even 24/7 Live Destination Assist, but just the eDestination.

The Safety Connect is nice to have, especially for the Stolen Vehicle Location, I will mull over whether to renew when my subscription ends.
Old 01-05-14, 01:42 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like there are several components to Enform that various folks are interested in.

1. Destination Assist (live person)
2. eDestination (loading a navigation point from the Lexus web site) (I would find this more useful if it was even more general with each nav system getting a unique email address that an address could be sent to from any mapping website as GPS coordinates.)
3. The Enform apps (integrating various applications into the Nav System.) (This is something I have not played with yet but reading seems to make me think this may have more possibilities.)

I think these feature are only available with the Enform subscription. Are there more that I have missed?

Seems like folks want to pick and choose while Lexus says all or nothing.
Old 01-05-14, 05:51 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I missed something when I bought my 450h. The destination assist was demonstrated to me but not the e-destination. I need to check that out.
Old 07-13-15, 03:10 PM
kdpohl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus enform navigation

I just got a new rx350 2015 - and tested the enform app suite... and navigation
I have no idea why somebody would use lexus navigation--- there are excellent navigation apps like google navigation available - create a destination during driving in a lexus is a hazard and takes forever --- google navigation takes a few seconds --- and I do not move a finger to get it - the apps suite has no application which are useful. There is still no way to go to a street without a house number. Google navigation I say the store name in i,e, san francisco and it goes there - try this with lexus enform. lexus should stick with what they do well - building cars --- creating computer interfaces -- leave ti to people who do this for a living.
and not to forget--- google navigation is free and updates the traffic information at the same time (free)
Old 07-13-15, 07:12 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kdpohl
I have no idea why somebody would use lexus navigation--- there are excellent navigation apps like google navigation available - create a destination during driving in a lexus is a hazard and takes forever --- google navigation takes a few seconds --- and I do not move a finger to get it - the apps suite has no application which are useful. There is still no way to go to a street without a house number. Google navigation I say the store name in i,e, san francisco and it goes there - try this with lexus enform. lexus should stick with what they do well - building cars --- creating computer interfaces -- leave ti to people who do this for a living.
and not to forget--- google navigation is free and updates the traffic information at the same time (free)
Congrats on your new 2015. I agree with your observations on the Enform Suite -- not super useful to me either after nearly 3 years of ownership. I've not used them at all after the first couple of days testing them after taking delivery and the couple of time since when Lexus changed their iOS App so I knew to go see what they may have improved (sadly, IMHO, they didn't do enough to capture my attention).

Not trying to start an off-topic debate here, but to your point, one thing I give a nod to my Lexus Nav and any other "offline Nav App" is... I don't have to be concerned with anyone tracking and storing the locations I want to go to, perhaps logging where and when I may be redirected because of a traffic jam, or perhaps knowing where I am almost all the time -- not that I'm doing anything stealthy BTW -- just having been in IT for 35+ years with an inkling of what's possible, and my disdain for companies that make their money and users paying for supposed "free services" they receive because of the data users (perhaps not always realizing they) may provide In return, unless they have taken overt action to opt-out if they can find that option, and if it's even made available. I know I'm a crazy guy that actually reads sign-up agreements that I suspect many don't, but I try not to give any data to companies without my conciously acknowledging it. While I am likely in a minority these days, having offline Nav Apps like what I have in my RX works for me most of the time... and I always have realtime apps available via my iPhone should I need it as a backup. I also travel a 2-3 times a year through areas in CA/NV/AZ that for 30 mins or so each way don't have good or any cellular access... "Offline" apps like my Nav with Sirius satellite or FM traffic info continue to work for me in those parts of our world. In any case, it's great we all have choices that suit us best. I love having the options, as it seems you do too. Enjoy that new RX!
Old 07-14-15, 04:28 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

What I am doing is entering the destinations on my computer and then syncing them to the RX so once I get into the vehicle and press "download" I am done.

The way I am using this, there is nothing to type either. I don't even have to touch my phone at all in the car which is what I prefer.
Old 07-14-15, 06:48 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...I have no idea why somebody would use lexus navigation...
We use the Enform Destination Assist quite a bit. We like it enough to have paid for the service. The NAV system is far from perfect but being able to speak with a live person, describing where we want to go and having it loaded into the NAV system is very convenient. It would be great if there was a similar service that would load a destination into Google Maps.
Old 08-02-15, 01:34 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

I almost never use voice but always use the online feature by going to website via computer.

Wish they would come up with separate charge? Or hopefully a competing vendor will do that and I will lease that car next time.
Old 08-08-15, 03:53 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We purchase the Enform Safety level since it was about the same price as we were paying for the GM version Safe and Secure ($259) on a previous vehicle. The big plus with Enform to us is the downloading locations into the Nav system which the GM vehicle could not do.