RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Woud you buy a loaner vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 08:51 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Woud you buy a loaner vehicle?

Hi,

I am in the market for a CPO 2011/2012 RX350. I have seen a lot of loaners in the inventory.

Now my question: Would you buy a loaner? On the one hand I understand that loaners are often driven harder and abused, but on the other hand I am not sure how much the average RX350 owner would abuse a loaner.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-30-13, 08:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't just as I wouldn't buy a used rental car.I'm also leery of lease turn ins.
Old 06-30-13, 09:14 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't.
Old 06-30-13, 09:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL konradsa. My dealer sells off their loaners when they hit about 15K miles. While it's not really too much on the odometer, there's no way to know how they were treated by customers. The loaners I've driven had the typical signs of wear and tear. I'm extra careful when I have one, even clean them up a bit. That's part of my **** nature, LOL! It's probably no different than other pre-owned RXs. Just make sure you check over everything thoroughly. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-30-13, 10:25 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the loaners I have been in are very dirty, cosmetically speaking. I see shoe prints on the seats and crumbs everywhere. True, they are reconditioned, but its not the same.
Old 06-30-13, 12:37 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Let's put it this way. With my own car, I have never hit a curb and always slow down for speed bumps. With the loaners, not so much....
Old 06-30-13, 03:49 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No way! But, you may not want to put to much emphasis on that reply ... I'm a little obsessive and only buy new.
Old 06-30-13, 04:17 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm of a similar mind to most other responders. I wouldn't buy any vehicle that had a previous life as a rental or loaner. I have too many years using both with business and personal use, and have seen how others treat their temporary rides. I try to treat mine like it is my own for the short time I'm with it, but I don't believe I'm normal (in that regard ). While some things people do to their loaners and rentals may be cosmetic, there is far too much unknown beyond what certification can find. I'd look for only a single-owner CPO if not buying new.

OP, good luck in your pursuit.
Old 06-30-13, 04:39 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the thing think of the class of people who get allotted a Lexus loaner? Higher than the average right? I'm sure there not abused as much as a loaner from lets say a Chevy dealer. From what my service manager told Lexus typically likes to give you most similar vehicle match as they can to what you drive. At most dealership they have 3 loaners to give out CT200h, ES350, ad RX350/450h and if its a more higher volume dealer like Jim Falk Lexus of Beverly Hills they will give a vehicle to match so if bring in LX you get LX, you bring in a GS you get a GS ad so on. The dealer I use is low volume so a IS/CT owners usually get a CT200h as a loaner, ES/GS/LS owners get a ES350, the SC owners gets what ever is available, and RX/GX/LX owners get a RX350/450h.
So think about it who is usually who is going to get alloted RX loaner? I hate to say it since it is sexist but women do.(primary divers of SUV/Crossovers) And I 'm sure women usually don't have the same tendency to abuse loaners as men do. I have said what I think after it is your decision. I say look at the condition and if it satisfies your definition of good condition buy it...

Last edited by MjThind; 06-30-13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 06:45 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

I don't recommend ANY rentals or loaner cars; from what a Computer Engineer told me alone, I would not. He hates cars and they are the nuisance you have to drive from big cities to hick towns!! He luckily uses taxis or luxo cars if available(25,000 Lincoln Town Cars in New York alone ferrying people around) He has told me about "womping " snow banks in Wisconsin with loaner cars and doing doughnuts. His Mercedes at home is his wifes!! Be careful buying other peoples Recreation vehicles...lol
Old 06-30-13, 07:09 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I wouldn't buy a loaner even though the dealer cleans it up after each use. Sometimes you have people who smoke and some signs of wear are evident that cleaning can't take care of. If customers need more gas than the amount in the tank they most likely fill it up with the cheapest variety, too. The RX loaners are given to most customers who get loaners so you can't assume that its only RX owners that get the loaner.
Old 07-01-13, 07:35 AM
alanbussey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought a 2010 RX 350 "loaner" when the 11's came out. Couldn't be happier. Also bought a "99" as it came off a 12 month lease. Put 140k plus miles on it over 10 years - very pleased with it. Since these cars qualify as certified you gain advantage with the warranty period.
Old 07-01-13, 08:13 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Case by case, I take care my loaner cause I assume I will buy it when lease end.
Old 07-01-13, 11:47 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure why buying a loaner would be any different than buying any used car. You never know what you're gonna get with either one. The fact that it is "certified" would make me more likely to buy it, but I have HORRIBLE luck buying used cars.

It always bothers me to think that people would treat a loaner any differently than their own car. It seems to me that you would want to treat it better, as it belongs to someone else! It's a matter of respect for other people's property.
Maybe I'm just naive.
Old 07-01-13, 12:05 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buy a rental. But a loaner is not a rental in my opinion. I've never treated a loaner poorly. I can't say the same about the rentals I've had over the years. I treat a loaner as if a friend lent me his car while mine is in the shop. I don't know, it's just different than directly renting a car. Maybe it's the fact that I am paying out of pocket for the rental that makes me think I can drive it a bit hard. I think those who would shy away from lease returns and loaners wouldn't buy a used vehicle anyway so take their opinion for what it's worth. For me, my preference would be a lease return first, followed close by loaners, and way far behind is a rental.

Quick Reply: Woud you buy a loaner vehicle?