RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Used 2005 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 12:36 PM
flmtrain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2005 RX330

New here and to Lexus. Been a German car guy in the past owning four. Looking to purchase a 2005 RX330 one owner with 113,000 miles. Always dealer serviced and had every service done since new from the dealer where purchased. Interior looks like no one ever sat in it and is that clean. Had timing belt replaced at 90K miles but not the pulley or water pump. So I went online and read great reviews and bad reviews so I figure ask the forum about it. I read about recall on the dashboard and waiting years and headlights leak that cost $1,700 each to replace. These things due scare me a little but can you give me the over all review of these vehicles? Are they a great used 12 year old car to buy that will still give me 3-5 years, 200,000+ miles? I always thought Toyota built great cars. I had a dealer pre-purchase inspection done today. They found it needs a battery, engine and cabin filter replacement, two bulbs out, needs windshield wipers and the code came up to replace the headlight leveling module which the AFS light is on. Dealer said $600 for new module. They find no leaks. I asked what maintenance I would need in the next 10,000 miles and they said the 120,000 service, $1,200 that includes the spark plugs. Thanks for your time. Frank
Old 02-15-17, 02:07 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Absolutely a great car. You get the luxury like the Germans but also the Toyota dependability. It's not perfect and you will need things here and there as you already found but it won't leave you stranded like the M62 engines on my old Bimmers.

Here's my opinion on the car at hand:
- Not replacing the water pump and pulley is okay but something I'd keep an eye on.
- I wouldn't bother with the dash board, and since you said your car's interior looks new, I'd assume the dash is in good shape.
- $1700 for a headlight is dealer price, you can get a used light for much cheaper and just replace. Or if you know a bit of DIY you can bake it open, replace broken parts, then reseal.
- 3-5 years 200K+ miles is no problem with regular maintenance, don't fall for Lexus' "lifetime fluid" crap.
- AFS module fixes are floating around here if you are handy.
- Spark plugs are a bit of a messy job compared to inline 6's and V8's but still doable or reasonable to have done at a Toyota dealership (no, not Lexus).
Old 02-15-17, 06:40 PM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

AFS sensor issues are typically the sensor (can be R&R - videos on youtube), or the connecting rod going to it from the lower control arm, which can be fixed with parts from a hardware store. Don't pay a Lexus dealer mega money for it. A member on here found a sensor on eBay for $20. I have to R&R mine as soon as I get a warmer day when I'm free. I also need to put together the parts to make a new sensor arm, since my luck tells me it'll end up breaking when I attempt to remove the sensor...

As for the headlights, is there moisture inside of them? Taking the headlights out to properly seal them involves taking the front bumper mostly off. It's not a terrible job, but set aside an afternoon to do it right and take your time. You can find a good thread here explaining the bumper removal to get them out. Search for "Headlight moisture," and look for the one saying merged threads.

If the dashboard looks good, you should be fine, but if you see any cracks starting within the next month or so, get it to a Lexus dealer ASAP, as the warranty extension is expiring in May. My dealer told me the last one they did took 9 months to get in, but they're expecting that to be improving. I was told several months. Some got theirs done pretty quick. I think it depends on the size of the dealer, and how many they have to do.

$1,200 for the 120k service? Find a trusty independent shop. Yes, the spark plugs require a good bit of time and a little DIY knowhow, but another job for an afternoon project. Use Denso or NGK. Start making a list for what gaskets you may as well replace while you're in there. That's another job I'll be doing at some point. They probably want to replace transfer case and rear differential fluids as part of that service. Again, about $25 for proper fluids, and about 30 mins with a siphon pump including drain time. Thread about that on here as well. You can get a cheap pump at Harbor Freight for about $5 or so. As the threads will mention, make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain it...

The Lexus website isn't always reliable at listing things done at dealers. I found things listed on Carfax that Lexus didn't show, and vice versa.
Old 02-16-17, 03:15 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I have owned my 2005 RX330 AWD for over a month, excellent quality vehicle.
The AFS Sensor I replaced for $50.00 including parts & the mechanic to install the part.
More about that here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-flashing.html
You can still pick up the Sensor for less than $20. here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Le...hYAFpQ&vxp=mtr
In my case the pins for the connection for the sensor & female plug were either rusted out or broken.
There are still a couple minor issues for DIY repairs that can wait to spring.
Old 02-17-17, 03:04 AM
flmtrain
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies and info. I am going to purchase the car today. I plan on my first DYI is the replace the cabin and engine air filters with the Denso brand, which have to search what numbers to buy and where to buy. I found a local shop that works one mainly Toyota and Lexus. I am going to have them do the spark plugs when I get to 120K. Their price is 30% less than the dealer quote I received. They mentioned replace some seals / gaskets while in there but I will have to search that out to see what they are thinking. I also checked and I am going to add Bluetooth using a GTA car kit or USA spec kit, both of them sound easy to install and online reviews seem good. Before I purchase the car today, I m going to take another long test drive and check the headlights to make sure no water in them. The used car dealer where I am looking to purchase tells me they fixed the AFS light issue but since the dealer told me is a bad module at the cost of $600 to replace, the part alone being over $500, I don't think the used car place did this work but I will confirm. I am going to have. Battery installed tomorrow at the dealer, $242. The local shop quoted $165 but they are not open on Saturday and I travel for business weekly so I will pay the extra to get it done. Dealer stated they tested the battery and it failed. The used car place states that there is nothing wrong with the battery but no history that it has been replaced so for a couple hundred dollars I am getting it done especially with it being winter. Anyway, thanks again for the info. Take care, Frank
Old 02-17-17, 03:57 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by flmtrain
Thank you for the replies and info. I am going to purchase the car today. I plan on my first DYI is the replace the cabin and engine air filters with the Denso brand, which have to search what numbers to buy and where to buy. I found a local shop that works one mainly Toyota and Lexus. I am going to have them do the spark plugs when I get to 120K. Their price is 30% less than the dealer quote I received. They mentioned replace some seals / gaskets while in there but I will have to search that out to see what they are thinking. I also checked and I am going to add Bluetooth using a GTA car kit or USA spec kit, both of them sound easy to install and online reviews seem good. Before I purchase the car today, I m going to take another long test drive and check the headlights to make sure no water in them. The used car dealer where I am looking to purchase tells me they fixed the AFS light issue but since the dealer told me is a bad module at the cost of $600 to replace, the part alone being over $500, I don't think the used car place did this work but I will confirm. I am going to have. Battery installed tomorrow at the dealer, $242. The local shop quoted $165 but they are not open on Saturday and I travel for business weekly so I will pay the extra to get it done. Dealer stated they tested the battery and it failed. The used car place states that there is nothing wrong with the battery but no history that it has been replaced so for a couple hundred dollars I am getting it done especially with it being winter. Anyway, thanks again for the info. Take care, Frank
For the AFS Light flashing, verify if the lights move side to side at start up, then the odds are the auto level sensor is failing. If they do not move, the used dealer didn't fix the issue, which should give you some bargaining power.
Old 02-17-17, 04:43 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

We're talking about the AFS sensor cost at a dealer, which is a HUGE amount more, simply because it's the dealer, and it includes the connecting rod and possibly the mounting bracket. As mentioned before, the sensor can be bought on eBay for $18, so cheap fixes are plenty. If it was a broken rod, they could've fixed it for under $20 as well with parts from a hardware store.

As 05RX330AWD said, wait until it's dark, and look to see if the headlights move from far out to far in, then up and down when starting it with the headlights on or in Auto. If they do, the issue was corrected.

Remember: if a dealer quotes a price on a part, you can usually find equivalent aftermarket at 50% less or better. In this case, the AFS sensor can be had for 5% of the price you were quoted. $18 vs. $500.

When it comes to something out of warranty, the dealer is the LAST place I'd ever take a vehicle for a repair.
Old 02-17-17, 05:23 AM
flmtrain
Driver School Candidate

Thank you I will check to see if the headlights move. Lexuswiz mentioned to keep an eye out on the water pump. Does that mean just watch to see if any fluids leak under the car in the future? I would have paid the couple extra dollars and had the water pump done at the same time as the timing belt but the first owner did not.
Old 02-17-17, 05:38 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Thank you I will check to see if the headlights move. Lexuswiz mentioned to keep an eye out on the water pump. Does that mean just watch to see if any fluids leak under the car in the future? I would have paid the couple extra dollars and had the water pump done at the same time as the timing belt but the first owner did not.
Yes, watch for leaks or noises (bearing failure). You should be fine as you'll have to change it again once you hit the next 90K mark but this is a huge issue in timing chain cars as you do not replace the WP in intervals, just when it fails completely.
Old 02-17-17, 05:59 AM
flmtrain
Driver School Candidate

I had thought about just spending the money and having the water pump replaced but it would cost almost as much as the whole timing change less the belt at least that is what I have done told. I am surprised that since the first owner had every single maintenance item done at the dealer including even tires that the dealer did not talk them into replacing the water pump when doing the timing belt.
Old 02-17-17, 06:13 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I had thought about just spending the money and having the water pump replaced but it would cost almost as much as the whole timing change less the belt at least that is what I have done told. I am surprised that since the first owner had every single maintenance item done at the dealer including even tires that the dealer did not talk them into replacing the water pump when doing the timing belt.
I think it's because it's an extra part + extra labor time/cost which adds up fast, especially at dealer price. Again, as long as it's not leaking or making loud noises, you should be fine.

Also, to reply to your older post, for a spark plug change definitely change the gaskets and have the throttle body cleaned, I did and it helped throttle response. I recall buying 4 gaskets: throttle body gasket, intake manifold, plenum gasket, and intake flange gasket. I also changed the PCV valve and air filter since I had access to these areas.
Old 02-17-17, 06:59 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Not only the Water Pump, the Auto Tensioner & associated pulleys also should have been changed at the same time, if any of those fail, the new Timing Belt can get chewed up.
Old 02-17-17, 06:21 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to the forum. I have a 996. I do most of my own work on my cars and motorcycles. Mostly cuz I enjoy it, am pretty good at it, and I don't want to pay for the labor.

I love my 05 rx330. mine had 164k when I bought it, just had a new water pump installed and alternator. I haven't had any of the issues you have, but my headlights were very clouded over, so replaced them with used ones from fleabay. about $175 per headlight, but it looks so much better now.

Definitely consider an independent mechanic over the dealership. Not just for the savings, but just because they are the dealer, it does not mean they do a better job. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-19-17, 11:55 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

I will recommend it, I had my 04 Rx330 for about 2 weeks now, and just had a once over by my mechanic, everything is in good order at 120k miles. However mine does have over an inch thick of paper work with it with all the service records pretty much since new. Reason why I bought it was my last 2 BMWs and Benz hasn't been the most reliable thing I've had. I've had to spend at least $3000 on my E36 and E39 within 6 months of ownership of both even when they both were really well maintained cars with service history. The RX was much nicer than the Infiniti FX that I drove which I was also considering. and the RX sits nicely with my GS.