RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Should I Buy A RX??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 08:45 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Talking Should I Buy A RX??

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been away from the Lexus scene for about 2 years. I briefly went into the dark side with Bmws, E36, E39 540 6mt and Benz W202 but now I might be in the market for a practical car. I am back to driving my trusty 2GS that I've had for about 5 years. I am looking for an all in one car, something not too boring to drive, comfortable, but also have the room to put bikes in, snow board or room for long road trips. My mechanic had a 1st Gen Rx I didn't think much of the design and apparently transmission likes to fail. And he recently got himself a 2nd Gen RX and I like the design much more than the 1st gen. Is there anything specific to look for? Transmission? Suspension? common failure things? are earlier years better than late since early years were made in Japan? Most of the ones I've seen on Craigslist have been 04 05 models some with higher mileage at over 160,000 miles are they still worth looking at?

I'm also considering Infiniti FX, Subaru Legacy, Forester Turbo, Benz E Class, Bmw 5 Series Wagon, but I think in the long run the RX will be the most reliable?

Thanks! I miss Lexus reliability.
Old 01-28-17, 09:43 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

E39 huh? I used to have a '02 M5, miss that car but not the costs.....

I'd say an RX is what you're looking for in terms of a SUV/hauler. Earlier models have complaints (apparently its not an issue) of a laggy/noisy trans but not prone to failure like the gen1. I'd say stick to the RX350's so you don't need to worry about a timing belt. Also avoid air suspension at all costs, that's a pain to maintain (also same with an air suspension 4.4i X5 I used to maintain for family). For a Lexus, mileage is just a number, and on the Toyota side, I've seen the same 3MZ-FE/2GR-FE engines used in RX's clock over 200K+ miles with no issue. I assume if you know BMW chassis codes, you know a bit or two about cars and maintenance.

Also consider the BMW X5 4.6is or 4.8is, that's truly a fun hauler. I've been keeping my eyes out for a clean one with the timing chain replaced.
Old 01-28-17, 10:26 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Reliable yes, but boring to drive is also a RX trait. Test drive a second gen MDX too ('07-13), but read up on the adjustable suspension to see if that is a feature to avoid (as is typical for any aging vehicle).
Old 01-29-17, 01:07 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

I actually would like a first get x5 4.8is but it is truly a maintenance nightmare. Air suspension. Plastic engine bits.

Are there any changes through out the years that makes a specific year better? I've noticed that people are asking for over double the price for a rx350 Vs rx330 and I'm talking about both second generation. A few late year second generation rx were asking only 3 to 4 thousand less than a cheap 3rd gen model.

and I don't really mind it being boring as it will mostly be driven by my family. I just need something that is comfortable relatively reliable with space when I need it. (ie not cost me $3000 in maintenance and repairs within 6 months of ownership like each of my BMW's) I'll stick to driving my gs daily until I get a fun car for myself.
Old 01-29-17, 05:01 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
I actually would like a first get x5 4.8is but it is truly a maintenance nightmare. Air suspension. Plastic engine bits.

Are there any changes through out the years that makes a specific year better? I've noticed that people are asking for over double the price for a rx350 Vs rx330 and I'm talking about both second generation. A few late year second generation rx were asking only 3 to 4 thousand less than a cheap 3rd gen model.

and I don't really mind it being boring as it will mostly be driven by my family. I just need something that is comfortable relatively reliable with space when I need it. (ie not cost me $3000 in maintenance and repairs within 6 months of ownership like each of my BMW's) I'll stick to driving my gs daily until I get a fun car for myself.
I was fortunate to bump into a 05 RX330 left on a lot as an is trade in, which are usually vehicles that wind up in auctions or the junk yard if unsold wholesale.
I inspected the SUV visually, undercarriage was clean, no rust, no rips in the leather seats, navigation functions etc.
When I took the test drive I knew that this was a reliable vehicle although may need some attention for the safety inspection, therefore took it to my mechanic to inspect on the hoist.
I was new to the Lexus brand, he said this is an excellent reliable vehicle & I will not need to pay anything extra for repairs to pass the safety inspection.
For around $2,400. I had a safe & inspected 05 RX330 AWD with 137,000 miles on the road.
I did spend another $260. including parts & labor to replace the timing belt & water pump a month later.
Another $80. for the seal & labor to repair a small leak from the differential & $50. for an air filter & wiper blades.
2 months later, there are still a few minor repairs which I didn't attend to as yet, rear windshield wiper does not function, AFS Sensor to be replaced & auto tailgate (which I can live without), most likely weak struts.
All the above to say...
A 05 RX330 that a previous owner gave up on & a dealer ready to give it away, was still a reliable Lexus another consumer can count on.
You did mention Lexus reliability, I just wanted to share some proof to that statement via the experience of a first time used Lexus RX330 owner.
Old 01-29-17, 06:42 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

VAAttorney on here bought an RX330 a few years ago (or more... can't remember when) with around 230,000 miles on it. It needed a few minor repairs, but she drove it until it had around 430,000 miles on it when the front differential started to go. Other than that, she reported just usual maintenance items. She sold it for a pretty penny, over $4,000, because someone wanted the interior out of it... wow...

Then there's mine... I bought my '05 AWD this past November with 130k on it. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. It does have a few minor things wrong with it that I'm gradually attending to. Then, a few days ago, I started to notice some transmission slips on the 2-3 shift. I'll admit that I have to change the fluid, but without a garage, and a limited budget to work with due to being a full-time student, I'm trying to nurse it along until I can get it done. As a stop-gap, I bought a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and poured in about half a bottle. So far, it seems to be doing the trick, but time will tell.

After scouting around here a little, I found it's not completely unheard of. Yes, I have some warranty left, which if it goes, I hope it does in the next couple months.

I'm still working on the extremely annoying rear suspension rattle noises (struts and bushings are on my list when I have the extra money to do them); I still have to remove and R&R the AFS sensor for the headlights, and I might still be battling headlight moisture...

How do I like my RX so far? I really like it. Do I love it? Uummmm.... too early to tell. As this is my 43rd vehicle over the course of 21 years, I can't say I really fall in love with many vehicles, nor do I have much brand loyalty. If there's a brand I always gravitate towards, it's probably Subaru, but I'm still not loyal. This is my first Toyota product. My overall experience with the RX after some time will determine how likely I am to buy another one. I've always preferred Honda over Toyota, but I can't say it's from ownership experience with a Toyota, but that will change since I have one now. Toyota's design language lately is leaving little to be desired. At least Lexus is still generally attractive.
Old 01-29-17, 06:46 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Fun comes at a cost

I'd always say a later year within a generation is always better, as Lexus would have worked out the kinks for a facelift. But my '05 has proven reliable. Haven't put much yet into maintenance as my car has low miles (~74K) but a timing belt is due soon which isn't like BMW's chains, a rather cheaper job.

My RX330 is comfortable but the arm rest is an complaint among bigger people, I'm small so it fits perfectly.
Old 02-05-17, 11:29 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Just a bit of a follow up on this guys, after driving a few Rx330, Fx35s, I even went to see a 06 Gs300 Awd but the carbon build up scared me. I picked up a Rx330 with about 120k miles. Hopefully the transmission doesn't fall apart on me. The FX does sound good and drives quite sporty but viewing angles were pretty bad due to the high doors and the stock suspension with the 20" wheels resulted in a pretty harsh ride. Surprisingly I drove one with BC Coilovers + 22" wheels and it rode better and softer than one with stock suspension. Also it was pretty wide and the trunk wasn't as big as the RX. The Fx interior also didn't age as well as the RX. Way more plastic bits and the leather material just isn't as nice as the RX. Both I drove had ripped side bolster on the driver seat. The Rx definitely isn't as powerful but I think it will get better fuel mileage + more useful in daily life and comfortable.

Any idea what is the best way to add aux or bt in? I have the ML none Nav audio.
Old 02-06-17, 12:04 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

GROM audio
Old 02-06-17, 01:32 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Just a bit of a follow up on this guys, after driving a few Rx330, Fx35s, I even went to see a 06 Gs300 Awd but the carbon build up scared me. I picked up a Rx330 with about 120k miles. Hopefully the transmission doesn't fall apart on me. The FX does sound good and drives quite sporty but viewing angles were pretty bad due to the high doors and the stock suspension with the 20" wheels resulted in a pretty harsh ride. Surprisingly I drove one with BC Coilovers + 22" wheels and it rode better and softer than one with stock suspension. Also it was pretty wide and the trunk wasn't as big as the RX. The Fx interior also didn't age as well as the RX. Way more plastic bits and the leather material just isn't as nice as the RX. Both I drove had ripped side bolster on the driver seat. The Rx definitely isn't as powerful but I think it will get better fuel mileage + more useful in daily life and comfortable.

Any idea what is the best way to add aux or bt in? I have the ML none Nav audio.
Great to hear you purchased a RX, enjoy, you didn't mention the year of the RX & maybe post some photos. Was the Timing Belt done?, at 120,000 miles it would something to look into.
Old 02-06-17, 04:57 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

If you're looking for cheap and easy Bluetooth, check my post.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...the-cheap.html

If you're looking for a more integrated solution, check out GROMaudio.com for a kit that installs to the back of the head unit. I've used them before, and they're pretty good... just out of my budget right now, since I have more important repairs to do before adding toys.
Old 02-08-17, 05:40 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Its a Black on Black 04, Timing belt was done at under 100k kms, so that should be ok, I'm mainly concerned about the transmission oil and diff oil as its been a while since that has been changed. I briefly looked into grom but it seems pretty expensive, about $150 just for the unit. But I guess going aftermarket isn't really an option due to the OEM Amp.
Old 02-09-17, 02:23 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Its a Black on Black 04, Timing belt was done at under 100k kms, so that should be ok, I'm mainly concerned about the transmission oil and diff oil as its been a while since that has been changed. I briefly looked into grom but it seems pretty expensive, about $150 just for the unit. But I guess going aftermarket isn't really an option due to the OEM Amp.

Lexus recommends changing Transmission oil at 120,000, when I purchased the RX it had a small differential leak, changed the seal & the oil looked fine.
If you do not have Navigation, there is a Metra system available, maybe a little less expensive to purchase but you still need an up to date head unit.
If I didn't have Navigation, I would have installed a Pioneer head unit I took out of the last vehicle I owned.
Just not prepared to pay $400. for the Beat-Sonic unit to keep the related factory options functioning once the head unit is installed..
Old 02-09-17, 06:23 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

I'm assuming you meant 100k MILES? If it was done before 100k kms, I'd have to wonder why.

As for Bluetooth, if you just want something simple and effective, go with what I did (link posted above)... +/- $25 is cheap enough, and it does the job, even if the sound quality isn't perfect.
Old 02-09-17, 06:53 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Transmission and differential fluid are easy to drain + fill yourself. Knowing that the timing belt was done so early is a good sign, gives you room before the next belt and indicates good ownership.

Upgrading the radio can be difficult depending on what system you have. If you have Mark Levinson, forget about it. And if you have Nav w/no ML, it's too expensive after all the adapters. The GROM seems steep at ~$180-200 but is simple to install and use compared to putting in an aftermarket headunit.

Originally Posted by RedGemini
I'm assuming you meant 100k MILES? If it was done before 100k kms, I'd have to wonder why.
I think it was either preventative maintenance or dealers outside the US like to set intervals as clean numbers, not necessarily their conversion equivalents.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy A RX??