RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Another Trailer Wiring Harness Thread...How to install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 01:03 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Trailer Wiring Harness Thread...How to install?

I've read a few threads on installing 05 RX trailer lights but none go into any detail. Is my search-fu weak? I read that one guy just removes the main tool box in the back of his RX's and reaches under them to install the wiring harness in 5 minutes. If anyone knows how this is done how about some specifics? I've got my main tool box out (easy) and there's nothing under there but one black wire cover running along the left and a small white plug in the middle. Then the DVD nav box on the left (all I can think of that it can be).

Anyway...what's the trick? I'll post a writeup if someone tells me where the wires go and what harness is easiest to install.

EDIT: Well well well! I just looked through my driver's side air vent under the fog lamps and I have the trans cooler. How about that! So I do have the tow package, just not a wire harness or trailer hitch. I've got the hitch on (easy) so now I just need the wires.

Last edited by TheGoodGuy; 12-07-16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 02:12 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like they have a video in there too.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...id=20071174055
Old 12-07-16, 02:36 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Originally Posted by SkiMe
Looks like they have a video in there too.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...id=20071174055
Thanks Ski, but the video is for a 2000. I've seen videos for an 05, but they include ripping up all the interior.

This pic in this thread thread looks like the factory plug goes into that little white plug under the mail toolbox. If so, man this is cinch!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...w-harness.html

Last edited by TheGoodGuy; 12-07-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 03:36 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Well I'll be darned. This video at position 2:32 shows the exact place to tap in and you CAN reach it from under the main toolbox. Too easy!

Old 12-07-16, 04:04 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Got it!
If you're going to do this, make sure you have the trailer pigtail like I did. To see if you have it, just reach up in there and see if you feel a loop on that black wire bundle. If you do, you have a pigtail. If you're not sure, go run look under the driver's side foglight and if you see a radiator looking thing in the air vent hole under the fog lamp...you're golden.It's in there!

So here's a pic of my toolbox removed. You just pop out the two plastic push-clips on each side (two total, one on each side) then you can pick the whole toolbox up and out. If it hangs up at the rear of the box (the part facing YOU) then just press inward on the plastic side of the box to collapse it a little. It just flexes and you can pull it out all the way.

And if you follow that black snake of a wire cover with your hand toward the tail light you'll feel a loop of wire. Stick your finger in the loop of wire and pry the tape free. It's electrical tape so it doesn't break easily, but you can work your finger in it and bust the tape free eventually. Then you have another piece at the head of the wire to bust. So poke your finger in it too, between the wire connector and the bundle of wires it's taped to. It took me about 10 minutes to pop the tape but I'm a weenie. I mean, I worked out real hard with my hands today and they were tired. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, once you pop those two pieces of tape free you get this.

I stuck the phone in there to see the place it connects. It's not a good pic, but it gives context.

Anyway, just plug in there and then run the wire through this grommet here in the floor under that toolbox. You can poke a hole in it with a pocket knife or a screwdriver, force the wires through and then run them to the trailer hitch. Done!

I know it's not a full writeup, but with the context above this should point out how to do it quick and easy well enough for the average guy.
Old 12-08-16, 03:58 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good but I think you used a different grommet. IIRC the factory wiring goes out a grommet closer to where you found the plug taped to the harness. Factory wiring would not be long enough to take that route.