RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Auto Headlights Draining Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 04:40 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes click "lock button" twice to turn off the headlight and lock the car. Problem is sometimes you don't want to lock the car (like in the garage).
Old 12-15-16, 07:46 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny battery story here:
Battery in the wife's 04 RX330 is a year old. Never had any problems with it as far as I know for said year.
Daughter and son-in-law come to town and borrow wife's car to go out to dinner and drink. Leave car in restaurant parking lot and catch ride home with sober driver.
Next morning, battery is dead. Daughter swears she didn't leave any lights on anywhere in the car.
My wife, "Oh, it's been giving me trouble lately."
Me, (suddenly being catapulted into the conversation) "Oh, REALLY?! Since when? You haven't told me about any problems with your car starting."
Her, "Well, you know- just kind of turning over slowly like."
Bring the car home and put the battery charger on it over night. Full charge- car starts just fine. Check everything. Voltage at rest, voltage during cranking, voltage while running. All within spec.
Son-in-law says, "Yeah, she went back to the car to put her makeup on. I bet she left a light on."
That was two months ago. Still- no problems with the car starting.
How do some women do that? I mean- come up with an instantaneous comment to make the offending party feel better, by pointing an accusatory finger at the mechanic??
WTF, honey?
Old 12-15-16, 09:18 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rxpx40
How do some women do that? I mean- come up with an instantaneous comment to make the offending party feel better, by pointing an accusatory finger at the mechanic??
WTF, honey?
Uh I think you need to take it to a different forum...like DrPhil.com

Re: auto headlight, I tried but it's not possible to change the auto setting from the Nav screen. Only the dealer can do it.
Old 12-16-16, 08:24 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
I used techstream to reprogram. I don't know of a manual way unless you have factory navigation.

Dennis, It was easier for me to reprogram the setting than remembering to lock the doors in the garage which we have never done.
How can you program certain things with the factory navigation? I just recently acquired a 2007 rx350 with navigation and was wondering if there is a way to get into the programming to change the sensitivity of the auto lights as well as other features. Thanks matt
Old 12-16-16, 09:12 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

With all the different personal preferences, it would be nice if Toyota would let the car owner set the options on these features. But we are only the people who have to feed the mega corporations.

Overall, it don't really think that the auto headlight feature is responsible for dead batteries. If the battery can't handle the headlights being on for 60 seconds (like both my Lexus cars) then there is a problem with the battery and needs to be replaced. Staying on after you turn the car off is a nice feature for people like me that park in a dark area at night.
Old 12-19-16, 08:47 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by matts6887
How can you program certain things with the factory navigation? I just recently acquired a 2007 rx350 with navigation and was wondering if there is a way to get into the programming to change the sensitivity of the auto lights as well as other features. Thanks matt
Don't think so. If you hit "Display" button it only toggles the screen icons on/off. In my Jag, the "Display" button lets you customize brightness and other goodies. But then we're comparing a flagship car vs. a mid-ship car.
Old 12-19-16, 04:29 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
With all the different personal preferences, it would be nice if Toyota would let the car owner set the options on these features. But we are only the people who have to feed the mega corporations.

Overall, it don't really think that the auto headlight feature is responsible for dead batteries. If the battery can't handle the headlights being on for 60 seconds (like both my Lexus cars) then there is a problem with the battery and needs to be replaced. Staying on after you turn the car off is a nice feature for people like me that park in a dark area at night.
I wish this too but that's an easy charge of 1hr of labor or at least for my local dealer.

Also, it is possible when you have a remote start like I do and cannot pulse the door open trigger while the car is locked which sets off the built in alarm for the remote start therefore my lights stays on all night... Otherwise you are right, 60 seconds should not affect a battery in good shape.
Old 12-22-16, 05:48 PM
chrisp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts6887
Not sure if that was an option in the RX for those years. I know with our 2010 GX460, the navigation screen lets you change some of the settings - lights at shut off was one of them.