RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

HELP 2005 RX330 ABS+Break+VSC+TPMS flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 03:25 PM
bobguy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have aired up all my tires and double checked tire pressures on all tires, include the spare. I put the pressure higher than 33psi, I have every tire pressured to 36psi, but not luck. It still lit up. More details, It won't show the TPMS light every time you drive, but only lit up SOLID (it never blinks) after about 20-30 mins drive. And the TPMS light is the only light would light up.

I thought it was TPMS sensor battery out first and get ready to replace and reprogram since this car has been in service over 18 years. Then I found out there isn't TPMS sensor and some how it is operated by the ABS system(?), I am not sure about that yet, since no in-depth tech info yet. I guess 2005 is right before Lexus added TPMS sensors to their RX 330 (starts 2006 model). I might get some experimental TPMS? Confused, I may have to bring to the dealership and pay them to figure out what it is.
Old 10-08-22, 05:21 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bobguy
I have aired up all my tires and double checked tire pressures on all tires, include the spare. I put the pressure higher than 33psi, I have every tire pressured to 36psi, but not luck. It still lit up. More details, It won't show the TPMS light every time you drive, but only lit up SOLID (it never blinks) after about 20-30 mins drive. And the TPMS light is the only light would light up.

I thought it was TPMS sensor battery out first and get ready to replace and reprogram since this car has been in service over 18 years. Then I found out there isn't TPMS sensor and some how it is operated by the ABS system(?), I am not sure about that yet, since no in-depth tech info yet. I guess 2005 is right before Lexus added TPMS sensors to their RX 330 (starts 2006 model). I might get some experimental TPMS? Confused, I may have to bring to the dealership and pay them to figure out what it is.
maybe check the fuse for the abs system while your at it and just make sure nothings wrong with it. It’s probably futile. But there definitely isn’t a sensor in the spare for this model year. I think it’s most likely a sensor malfunction but maybe an electrical issue.
Old 10-08-22, 07:03 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 716 Likes on 516 Posts

04-06 RX330 doesn't have direct TPMS sensors, they use the ABS sensor and the rotation of the wheel to get a readout, rather than the more moderns style on 07+ RX which are direct TPMS sensors stored in each rim.

Get a scan tool that can do live data and see if the ABS sensors are all reading back consistently. If not, there is definitely a code stored in the ECU on whatever sensor is acting up, which even a basic scan tool can read. I bet any money that one of the sensors is either dirty or has failed and now the whole system is disabled. Worst case scenario a tone ring has gone bad, but it's almost always the sensor itself.
The following users liked this post:
Rx330fnboi (10-09-22)
Old 11-30-23, 01:39 PM
amradio
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Reviving an old thread. I'm getting all these dash lights intermittently. I have no check engine light and no codes show up if I hook up a scan tool. If I shut off the car and restart it, sometimes the lights stay off.
For people that have had these 4 lights, did you get an engine light or any codes? I'm wondering if the brake sensor switch only causes these 4 lights to come on. I know the speed sensors could cause the same dash lights, but from what I've read on the threads, it appears people get a check engine light if the speed sensor is faulty.
Old 11-30-23, 03:13 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amradio
Reviving an old thread. I'm getting all these dash lights intermittently. I have no check engine light and no codes show up if I hook up a scan tool. If I shut off the car and restart it, sometimes the lights stay off.
For people that have had these 4 lights, did you get an engine light or any codes? I'm wondering if the brake sensor switch only causes these 4 lights to come on. I know the speed sensors could cause the same dash lights, but from what I've read on the threads, it appears people get a check engine light if the speed sensor is faulty.
When I had issues with the stoplight switch on the brake pedal, there was no code. Most of the time you could turn off the car and turn it right back on all of the lights would be out and no code was stored.

BTW back in 2017 I posted that I had taken apart the switch and cleaned it instead of buying a 4th one from Lexus. The car now has 220k miles and 6 more years on it and it's running that same, cleaned switch with no more lights. I had sprayed it with DeOxit but put no grease in it when I reassembled it. It is still working!
Old 11-30-23, 03:43 PM
amradio
Rookie

Originally Posted by BadDogMax
When I had issues with the stoplight switch on the brake pedal, there was no code. Most of the time you could turn off the car and turn it right back on all of the lights would be out and no code was stored.

BTW back in 2017 I posted that I had taken apart the switch and cleaned it instead of buying a 4th one from Lexus. The car now has 220k miles and 6 more years on it and it's running that same, cleaned switch with no more lights. I had sprayed it with DeOxit but put no grease in it when I reassembled it. It is still working!
Thanks. So, did you just clean the contact points a bit with emery cloth and spray them with DeOxit? Did the connections looks dirty or corroded?
Old 11-30-23, 07:05 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No emery cloth! The contacts are gold plated. The problem is that the grease used at the factory has failed, not oxidation of the contacts. On my switch, chunks of balled up black grease were on the contacts. I used a q-tip dipped in alcohol to gently wipe the contacts.

Old 12-01-23, 07:22 AM
amradio
Rookie

Originally Posted by BadDogMax
No emery cloth! The contacts are gold plated. The problem is that the grease used at the factory has failed, not oxidation of the contacts. On my switch, chunks of balled up black grease were on the contacts. I used a q-tip dipped in alcohol to gently wipe the contacts.

Thanks. Once I get a chance to verify a few things to determine if this sensor is the issue, I'll take it apart to try to clean it up.
Old 12-07-23, 12:59 AM
DaddyDustin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amradio
Thanks. Once I get a chance to verify a few things to determine if this sensor is the issue, I'll take it apart to try to clean it up.
You mind keeping me updated with your findings in this and let me know wat u find an or possibilities....Also if u do end up doing it yourself could you do a step by step type video for us not car savvy folk lol ty

Old 12-07-23, 01:07 AM
amradio
Rookie

Sure. Right now I'm still trying to figure out if there is any reason why the lights come on or not. I have found that if pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times before I start driving, the lights never come on. If I forget to pump the pedal before I start driving, the light sometimes comes on. Going to keep trying this for a few weeks.

There are a few threads with pictures of how people have changed the brake sensor under the pedal.
Old 12-15-23, 05:12 PM
amradio
Rookie

Just an update. It's been about 2 weeks of "testing" for me. If I start the car and pump the brake pedal 2 or 3 times before I start driving, all the traction lights stay off. If I don't pump the brake pedal before driving and just take off, 80 to 90% of the time, all the traction lights come. So this confirms that the contacts in the brake pedal switch aren't making contact unless they get exercised or "stroked".
Old 01-16-24, 04:56 AM
amradio
Rookie

I changed this switch out. I did it a little different as I'm not a contortionist. I took the bottom dash panel off, the knee air bag off and the return spring. This gave me way more room to get to the switch. My latch for the switch was pointing to the top and I couldn't unlatch it. I loosened the 14mm nut and turned the switch a half a turn so the latch was pointing down. This gave me lots of room to unplug it. Install was just the reverse. Easy job.
The following users liked this post:
hyperdub (02-29-24)