RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Minor rear end collision - TPMS stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 10:09 AM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor rear end collision - TPMS stopped working

Rear ended on highway. At collision speed was about 10-15mph. Slight bumper damage. Since then the tire pressure monitor system has stopped working.

I'm very familiar with reset button. In spring light was on. Reset at 28psi. Inflated to 35psi. Worked. No light.

Currently all tires are at 38 psi (after 20 min of driving) including spare, which I had overinflated.

Ideas?

Getting bumper fixed by Plaza Motors here in STL. I'll ask them to check TPMS for me but understanding problem would be cool.
Old 11-11-15, 10:22 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

while I can't say specifically for the new Lexus models, I know that with GM, Chrysler, Ford and with my wife's 2007 Toyota Camry the TPMS wireless transmitters are located in the corners of the front and rear bumper covers.

they are little black boxes that pick up the wireless transmission of the tire sensor and transmit it to the body control module.

I suspect that Lexus is designed the same way and yours got damaged or jolted.
Old 11-11-15, 11:57 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Good call mjeds. I wouldn't have suspected the receiver getting damaged. It appears our receiver may be in the rear headliner. Here are some diagrams:

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ey_model=15677

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post2759702

I've had the light come on from over inflation. Usually in the hot summer during long highway stints. I don't know if it's because the pressures have reached an upper threshold number or if the differential is too large between the spare and the others. The light goes off after the tires cool down.
Old 11-11-15, 02:46 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

At what pressures were the tires when you set the system; and what were the tire pressures when the over inflation indicator lit?

I set mine at 33; and have seen 40 when on the road at highway speeds - with no issue.

As an aside, at 38K miles on the tires - with 6/32" remaining, but with the edges wearing faster than I'd have preferred, I now set the tires at 36 (cold). It will be interesting to see how they continue to wear.
Old 11-12-15, 05:49 AM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"At what pressures were the tires when you set the system; and what were the tire pressures when the over inflation indicator lit?"

This is not an over inflation situation. In fact, it's my understanding that TPMS in the Lexus brand is only for under inflation. I could be wrong. See OP for numbers.

But, in a nutshell, for me, with this car, over inflation has never been an issue. In fact, when I first picked up this CPO 2008 from Woodfield Lexus the light always came on. I would take it to the dealer and it would magically disappear. In the end they weren't fixing the problem by doing a reset. They were just inflating the tires until the light went off. Sometimes up to 40 psi cold. Needless to say I stopped taking it there for TPMS and figured out reset myself.

From tpmsmadesimple.com

Will the TPMS light come on if my tires are overinflated?
"Not necessarily. The TREAD Act/FMVSS 138 requires the TPMS warning light to come ON when the tire pressure drops below 25% of the placard tire pressure. The TREAD Act/FMVSS 138 does not require the TPMS warning light to come ON when the tires are overinflated; however, there are systems available that do warn the driver of overinflation."

Thanks for replies. This is a real time thing. Yesterday's estimate mentioned nothing of TPMS. Bumper fix is 12/2 and I'll need to make sure they do a system test after repair to make sure light goes off.
Old 11-19-15, 11:20 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OMLooper, you don't mention what year your RX is. This is important in regards to TPMS.

For 2004-2006 RX 330 models, the TPMS uses the abs wheel speed sensors to detect if one wheel is constantly moving slightly slower than the rest of the wheels. If the speed delta is great enough, it assumes low tire pressure, and triggers the low tire pressure light.

For 2007-2009 RX 350 models. the TPMS uses individual valve stem (wheel) mounted TPMS sensors. In this case, you should have a receiver for the TPMS signal somewhere (I honestly don't know where) front and rear.

Thus, depending on what RX you have, you may need to be looking for different things. It is very possible that the low speed collision could have knocked a wire loose. If you have wheel based sensors, it is also very possible that one of the sensors may have died, and it just happened to be at the same time as the accident.