RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cut and Polish

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 07:43 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cut and Polish

I assume that the RX, like every other Lexus, has a fairly thick paint right? I am thinking of actually doing a cut and polish on the car due to the front bonnet having lost some of that allure. Has anyone done a cut and polish on the paint, and also what risks are involved. I am intending on doing it by hand, rather than with a machine.
Old 10-11-10, 12:13 PM
espressoRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done a light cut on my '04 and found that it takes a lot of work for a significant cut. I would suggest you use a Porter Cable (PC) random orbital and some good cutting pads like Lake Country brand. There is no risk using a PC because it has a clutch that keeps you from applying too much pressure and burning the paint. Also, you'll wear your arms out real quick if you're surface has a lot of swirls. Make sure you do a good clay job first and then assess how bad your paint surface really is. You might be able to get by with just some Meguiar's Scratch-X and a light cutting pad. My favorite product is Adam's Polishes but Meguiar's is good also. Websites of both companies have great instructional videos. They also have forums where the pros hang out and you get really good advice.
Old 10-11-10, 12:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd highly recommend using a polisher. Your arms will thank you. I recently took the PC to my 450h a few weekends ago. Very easy to manuever and about the closest to idiot-proof you can get.

If you insist on doing it all by hand, I'd check out Blackfire to get your shine back. Very little work involved to apply and remove. It'll cover up minor swirls and scratches. I've gotten great results on my silver RXs.

http://www.blackfireusa.com/bllishcokit.html
Old 10-12-10, 06:05 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like mentioned above, use a buffer/polisher. I use a Flex and it turns out better than most detailing shops around here.