Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

LS460L with Modesta

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 05:05 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default LS460L with Modesta

As some of you might know, I applied CQuartz UK on this car two years back. Along with reload, its a very good product, gave very good glossy - wet look. However, I was disappointed with dusts that gets 'attracted' to the paint. When a run a finger on the paint, I can feel the dust particles and that draw me crazy.

Based on postings here and reviewing various videos, decided to try Modesta. Only issue is, its being sold through dealer network. However, I managed to buy those from outside of US and tried last week.

Tools used;
Griots 6" polisher with orange and black pads
CG Mr Pink washer fluid
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
3M rubbing compound
Modesta Maintenance Shampoo
Modesta primer P-01A
Modesta sealant BC-05
Modesta M shot
3M microfiber cloths

Gave a good bath using CG Mr. Pink. Then used 3M rubbing compound with RO polisher. Whenever I had to remove light paint scratches, I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish followed by rubbing compound. After all these steps, gave her a second bath with Modesta shampoo.

Here the fun starts!. I used black pads with RO polisher to apply Modesta primer. Its an easy step and I let that haze a bit for few minutes and wiped out with microfiber cloth. Had to apply in small sections to make sure not to let primer dry on the paint. I waited for 24 hours and then applied second coat of primer by hand.

I was amazed by the clarity and gloss that this primer brings in. I really enjoyed working with this primer. For sure, if the paint has some defects you are going to see it after applying this primer!. Also, the optical clarity that brings it, it will fools ones eye-brain. If the body has edges, you won't be able to see the edge lines with naked eye!. Unbelievable. Based on internet postings I read, some don't top the primer with sealant and uses that as a sealant itself.

I let the second coat dry for a day. Now the time to apply BC-05 sealant. Using microfiber application pad, used few drops to apply one section at a time. This is the hardest part. The sealant is a thick liquid. Spreading needs little work. After few minutes, it needs to be wiped down before drying on the paint. It sticks to the paint very fast and need some amount of force to clean and polish it. When I look at the reflection between the one applied with Bc-05 and the other (with just primer), BC-05 side looks little darker and more wet looking. Modesta recommends using infra red lamps to speed up bonding. In the absence of such thing, I used a heater!!!. Not sure it helped any or not.....

So far, I have covered hood, side fender and front doors. Weather here isn't corporation with me . With intermittent rain with high humidity. Couldn't carry on the work before I get soaked with humidity. Once I complete the full car, will post some more pictures.......
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-imag1688.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1695.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1734.jpg  

Last edited by satiger; 08-13-16 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 05:08 AM
satiger
Instructor

Default Before polishing (with CQuartz)

Just before applying primer........
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-imag1735.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1736.jpg  
Old 08-13-16, 05:12 AM
satiger
Instructor

Default After primer

Photos were taken 12 hours after primer........
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-imag1739.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1740.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1742.jpg  
Old 08-13-16, 05:15 AM
satiger
Instructor

Default After sealant BC-05

12 hours after applying BC-05.......

All these photos were taken using my mobile phone. It doesn't do justice to actual look of the paint. Will take some more pictures with SLR later and post it.....

BTW, I have to thank my wife to put up with me on my passion...... .
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-imag1749.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1751.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1752.jpg  

Last edited by satiger; 08-13-16 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 01:02 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow. That looks amazing
Old 08-15-16, 08:01 AM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Greg. Lot of work but I guess its paying off.........

Finished the whole car, took some more photos........
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-imag1770.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1771.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-1771.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1776.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-imag1777.jpg  

Old 08-30-16, 09:19 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Looks awesome, bud . You really put your heart into it and it shows! It's obvious you have done this before; I can't imagine you tried your polishing skills on the LS460 as your first project! BTW, you are welcome to drop by anytime and help with my car . It needs some serious TLC in the paint correction and coating department.
Old 08-30-16, 11:47 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So what exactly is Modesta? Is it just a polish and sealant or is it a coating?
Old 08-30-16, 12:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Modesta is a line of nano coatings. They also have a primer polish that can be used before applying one of their coatings, and other maintenance type products for post-coating care.

More info on their website: http://www.modesta.co/
Old 08-30-16, 04:15 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Looks awesome, bud . You really put your heart into it and it shows! It's obvious you have done this before; I can't imagine you tried your polishing skills on the LS460 as your first project! BTW, you are welcome to drop by anytime and help with my car . It needs some serious TLC in the paint correction and coating department.
Thanks Comotiger for encouraging words!. If you are in NJ, I could've helped you . I have always been obsessed with clean and shinny cars. Past 15+ years have used various products and decided to give it a try Modesta coating after seeing few videos of them. This is the first time I used machine polisher. Before trying on LS, I used machine polisher on ES with CQuartz as practice run.

Modesta is hard (at least to me) apply. But the effort is well worth it. Its a professional products needs to be applied by professional. When I buy my next new car, I will get Modesta done immediately. Its such an amazing product. Brings out clarity nothing like others. I could able to easily see some minor line scratches which wasn't visible earlier. More than BC-05, I liked their primer. One has to see to admire that.
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-ls-side.jpg   LS460L with Modesta-ls-side-2.jpg  
Old 09-05-16, 11:51 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm confused. Why would you want to see minor line scratches?
Old 09-06-16, 08:36 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I'm confused. Why would you want to see minor line scratches?
I don't want to see any scratches - lol. What I was trying to imply was, I didn't see that one hairline scratch when I did paint correction (polishing) for CQuartz-UK or after applying CQuartz-UK. Since then I have applied few other waxes and Reload as well. It wasn't visible all these time.

After finishing Modesta, I could see that. If I had known that earlier, I would've taken care of it. I did polishing in the front and other places where I know there were scratches/swirl marks. Hope this clears up. Lesson learned - if applying Modesta, full body paint correction preferably by professional is must. It will bring out everything - good and bad !!!!.
Attached Thumbnails LS460L with Modesta-reflection.jpg